DEvolution in America

Hurricane Katrina and defeat in the Vietnam war were God's punishment for sexual promiscuity and tolerance of homosexuals.

heh. love this. the parts of the city most likely to be inhabited by homosexuals, and also those parts with the highest incidence of pro-homosexual sentiment, were precisely the parts of town that were not destroyed by katrina.

but yeah, the great gods of the sea did in fact arise in wrath to punish abominable new orleans for its sexual promiscuity in general, no doubt there.

Helping Blauer Dragon out, because I did think it was a funny video, Genesis explained scientifically.
This is hilarious. "By now the valley of the shadow of doubt was overrunneth with skepticism. So God became angry, so angry mad that God lost his temper and cursed the first humans. Telling them to go forth and multiply themselves, but not in those words. But the humans took God literally, and now there are 6 billion of them." :rofl:

Seriously? WTF!!!!

One of those rare pindrop moments in my life; I was literally floored. The fact that she clearly did not know what she was talking about hurt even more; hundreds of years of science and rationality brought down by some sixteen-year-old kid who may or may not believe the universe has a floor.

I have resolved to step down to a more basic concept: the wind. Seriously, tell me it doesn't exist.

This is hilarious. "By now the valley of the shadow of doubt was overrunneth with skepticism. So God became angry, so angry mad that God lost his temper and cursed the first humans. Telling them to go forth and multiply themselves, but not in those words. But the humans took God literally, and now there are 6 billion of them." :rofl:

That bit right there is seriously one of the funniest things I've heard in years.

One of those rare pindrop moments in my life; I was literally floored. The fact that she clearly did not know what she was talking about hurt even more; hundreds of years of science and rationality brought down by some sixteen-year-old kid who may or may not believe the universe has a floor.

I have resolved to step down to a more basic concept: the wind. Seriously, tell me it doesn't exist.

Wind = Trees Sneezing

as long as they've been trying to change how science is defined it's a wonder they took so long to start to redefine history.

Whoever rules redefines history.

If they (religious fanatics) win their war on culture and thought, their history will be considered fact and taught as such.

Scary but true...

This week's Daily Kos poll included 2 questions, one for Birthers (do you believe Obama was born in the U.S.?) and the other for, uh, people who fail at science. Specifically, plate tectonics.

We asked two extra questions this week (the correct answer to both is YES):

QUESTION: Do you believe that America and Africa were once part of the same continent?

QUESTION: Do you believe that Barack Obama was born in the United States of America or not?

We will deal with the second question separately (how extensively do you think birthers have infiltrated the Republican party?), but as for the science question (detailed answers after the fold):

YES NO NOT SURE

ALL 42% 26% 32%

DEM 51% 16% 33%

REP 24% 47% 29%

IND 44% 23% 33%

OTH/REF 42% 25% 33%

NON VOTERS 46% 22% 32%

Republicans flunked the science question, whereas everyone else passes.

If only 42% of all respondents thought this was true, I'm not sure I would say that everyone but the Republicans pass. That's just pitiful. Is our children learning? :(

Whoever rules redefines history.

If they (religious fanatics) win their war on culture and thought, their history will be considered fact and taught as such.

Scary but true...

So you are expressing a preference for one set of lies and half-truths over another? That makes sense, seriously, it does.

Given what I have seen(by which I mean the sheer amount of misinformation people hold as true historic fact even without religious influence), history is too big and complicated a subject to effectively cover in a standard public school course without exaggerations etc. The whole Columbus story myths serve as a prime example.

I don't judge people for not knowing given details about history or culture , since they are of largely subjective value and it requires a stretch to attribute real importance to it. In fact, if certain groups could let go of history, the world might be a better place.

In this article there is a gallup pole that shows 61% of americans reject evolution. WTF? Apparently, acording to another pole I will link to when i get off of work, fewer people today believe in evolution than did 20 years ago. 20 years worth of genetic evidence in support of evolution, 20 years of research that supports evolution, and today you are more likely than ever to hear someone say "evolution is just a theory". At the same time, I am just as likely as i was 20 years ago at age 3 to tell them "yeah, like gravity is just a theory". in any case, MHO is that this is crazy. is anyone else disturbed by this? is anyone disturbed by the 40% that reject adam and eve?

what do you expect when you poll in Utah and outside large born again churches on Sunday mornings?

This week's Daily Kos poll included 2 questions, one for Birthers (do you believe Obama was born in the U.S.?) and the other for, uh, people who fail at science. Specifically, plate tectonics.

If only 42% of all respondents thought this was true, I'm not sure I would say that everyone but the Republicans pass. That's just pitiful. Is our children learning? :(

Yes. Yes they are. They're learning Young Earth Creatonism.

Interesting.

Of course, one could just as easily create a different poll question, to humiliate the Democrats. For example, "do you believe OJ was guilty?". And then the pollster could compare the respective responses of both parties. Results would probably be something like 95% of Republicans saying yes, and maybe with the Democrats split down the middle. There are plenty of other poll results that could easily embarass the Democrats just as easily as this would embarass the GOP. Conveniently, the true believers at the Kos create polls that will make the other side look stupid, while refraining from posing any poll that will make their own side look equally stupid.

Of course, one could just as easily create a different poll question, to humiliate the Democrats.

I see a separate level of humiliation for failing to grasp fundamental scientific facts, as in plate tectonics, and for falling prey to media and/or political persuasion on the issue of O. J. Simpson's guilt.

But I am glad that you at least tacitly agree that it was humiliating to the Republicans for getting the question wrong the most.

Archived