Things about yourself you cannot rationally explian

Crazydog7

Silverstar is [pistachio][bright white][cream][silvery grey][yellow][red][pistachio][green][orange][red].

Because silver is a colour itself, though, that kind of overlays it a bit, so the word is brighter and sparklier than it would be otherwise. That often happens if a word actually has a colour associated with it. Banana, for example, has a yellow overtone, despite the fact that the word is made up of blue, orange and green.

I really am starting to feel like a freak now :lol:

Wow. That's kinda cool and interesting. ♥

I know the alphabet by heart, but while I am looking things up in an index or alphabetizing something I still have to start at "A" when I go through it in my head....

I still count months on my fingers before writing down a date in numerical format. :pirate:

This detailed talk of synesthesia is interesting as I experience it both similarly and differently from what Silverstar was describing. I think for me only vowel sounds have a strong color connotation, while the consonants add a sense of...texture. For instance a word with a lot of unpronounced h's or gh's will seem to have a greater depth, while the r's in a word give it a sort of rippled texture.

I too see "I" sounds as various shades of silver and grey. "A" sounds are the reds, "E's" shade from green towards yellow, while "U" sounds very dark purple/blue. "O" is white.

Very infrequently, I've shaken hands with someone and gotten a jolt of electricity from it, no buzzers or power lines involved.

Static electricity, most likely from one of you scuffing your feet on carpet or similar. Like anything else, if there is enough of a difference in voltage between two things coming into contact with each other, the electrons will try to balance it out causing a tiny, high voltage, minuscule amperage, shock.

:lol: at both of you. LoB, it was a hardwood floor and not at all like static - more like cells waking up? - so I'm going with Brady's explanation. Where's a Superman smiley when I need one? This will have to do instead. :hat:

ps. I too hate plastic-wrapped slices of cheese! Off to design mild-superpowered-heroine costume. :thumbsup:

ps. I too hate plastic-wrapped slices of cheese!

I want to hate those, but we didn't have them in Israel when I was a kid (we probably still don't. I've never really looked.) and when we moved to Holland they were so novel they were basically candy.

This detailed talk of synesthesia is interesting as I experience it both similarly and differently from what Silverstar was describing. I think for me only vowel sounds have a strong color connotation, while the consonants add a sense of...texture. For instance a word with a lot of unpronounced h's or gh's will seem to have a greater depth, while the r's in a word give it a sort of rippled texture.

I too see "I" sounds as various shades of silver and grey. "A" sounds are the reds, "E's" shade from green towards yellow, while "U" sounds very dark purple/blue. "O" is white.

Ooo, someone who knows what I'm talking about! :)

I have this bizarre compulsion to change the lyrics to all the songs I hear so that they are about my pets. Sometimes this is as simple as picking out riffs you can sing "small brown dog!" along to; other times you can get more creative, like (for example) "Sansa of puppies, she's pulling your strings/Stealing your food and smashing your things..." (this song also worked well when we had a hamster). I don't really know how this came about, as I only really started having pets in the last few years, it's not like some bizarre childhood habit that I'm unable to shake off... :unsure:

I have this bizarre compulsion to change the lyrics to all the songs I hear so that they are about my pets. Sometimes this is as simple as picking out riffs you can sing "small brown dog!" along to; other times you can get more creative, like (for example) "Sansa of puppies, she's pulling your strings/Stealing your food and smashing your things..." (this song also worked well when we had a hamster). I don't really know how this came about, as I only really started having pets in the last few years, it's not like some bizarre childhood habit that I'm unable to shake off... :unsure:

My husband does this constantly. All songs become about our dog or cat.

How old were you when you figured this out - that most other people didn't have this/that you did, or did your mum talk to you about it early on? (I was about to say what a rubbish sentence that was and then realised it's exactly how I talk in RL anyway)

I was pretty young- before or around kindergarden- when my mother realized I had/have Synesthesia. I was having trouble with my alphabet-no I'm wrong, it was spelling actually, and not liking the color combination of some words. That was and is a problem still, certain letter/color combinations really upset me when they're next to eachother, so I would change the spelling of a word. I soon discovered the use of synonyms, which on the upside improved my vocabulary. Since it somewhat runs in the family my mother had a clue what was up.

I've memorized the subway and ask if I'm not sure, so that I don't get confused and end up on the wrong train. Reading I imagine is a bit different for me, but otherwise it's not a big deal except to those researching Synesthesia.

I find it interesting when I do mention it (rarely), that I'm asked to prove it. I reply "would you ask an Autistic to prove it?" It's close on the developmental disorder spectrum to Autism, but to the general public it's a drinking game/parlor trick. Strangely enough (or not) my dad has Asperger Syndrome. Maybe there was too much inbreeding in my families past... :uhoh:

I feel ok mentioning it here because I suppose I feel protected.

Sorry, I'm not a bitter freak. I swear. :o

My daydreaming and gazing at sunbeams, now that's weird!

Edit: Because I felt like it damnit!

I don't do this so much any more, but when I did maths at school, I'd pretend the numbers had relationships and personalities and stuff.

10 was de jure in charge of all the number. He was powerful, but lazy, and he was better than all the other numbers, but rarely acted on that, or did anything at all.

9 was de facto in charge. She was power hungry, and jealous of 10, but didn't much mind because she got to run the show.

8 was very protective of the other numbers, except seven and five, and she protected them from nine's scheming.

7 and 5 were anarchists, they didn't play by the rules, but seven was more of an anarchist than five, who felt some kind of responsibility to the lower numbers, having a soft spot for 4 and three (who may have been his wife and kid)

6 was hard working, but not partiularly effective. y'know, the guy who works his ass off, but doesn't really go anywhere.

4 she helped 8 out looking after the other numbers

3 and 2 were children, both friends, three was a boy, two was a girl.

1 was a little baby, 10's son by 9 (if I remember correctly)

Doesn't EVERYONE do this????

ETA: that numbers thing is quite uh, interesting.

Song lyrics: Guilty.

I loved it when my friends revealed that they sometimes sang Metallica at their new baby. They replaced "Battery" with "Zachary".

I have been known to sing "I like big trucks and I can not lie".

Also, when loading a truck a common expression is 'wheels to the sky'. This inevitably leads to a chorus of "Wheels to the sky keep on turning..."

I think there's a little Weird Al in all of us.

Archived