Things about yourself you cannot rationally explian

Crazydog7

I have Grapheme Synesthesia, which is explainable but still screws me up with the subway. I used to end up on the wrong train because the letter or number doesn't reflect the color. I ask now before I get on it, and I have the stations memorized. I very rarely tell people in my real world about this since I tend to get a WTF look in response.

Yeah, a while back I was accused in another thread of being totally nuts or making my Synth up (I have music -> color/movement).

There's an institute in Scotland doing studies about Synth, they have a questionaire to fill out (about a dozen pages, quite a bit focuses on Grapheme).

When I took the survey, my personal pet peeve showed up with a vengeance.

The form was terrible, I spent an hour rebuilding it from scratch and sent it back to them so people could fill the document out electronically, :blush:

Maybe I am nuts...

Ghost stuff - when I first moved into my apartment my cat refused to come into the bedroom. I figured it was because he could see something I couldn't, but it wasn't bothering me so I didn't worry.

During the first week I was there, my husband was staying with me and I felt something jump and land on the bed, but my cat was nowhere to be found (was actually sleeping in the livingroom).

Another night, while I was alone, I felt the bed flex - like someone had pulled up two of the corners and squeezed, then let it down slowly.

I wasn't asleep, so I rolled my head over and said: "Hello," but nothing answered.

That's been the last thing that has happened, and the cat is now ok with coming in the room - so I guess whoever was there has either moved to another apartment or is gone. Maybe it was trying to spook me, but got frustrated when it didn't work, :dunno:

It's too bad, was kinda nice knowing that someone was there, made it not so lonely.

Yeah, a while back I was accused in another thread of being totally nuts or making my Synth up (I have music -> color/movement).

There's an institute in Scotland doing studies about Synth, they have a questionaire to fill out (about a dozen pages, quite a bit focuses on Grapheme).

When I took the survey, my personal pet peeve showed up with a vengeance.

The form was terrible, I spent an hour rebuilding it from scratch and sent it back to them so people could fill the document out electronically, :blush:

Maybe I am nuts...

Ghost stuff - when I first moved into my apartment my cat refused to come into the bedroom. I figured it was because he could see something I couldn't, but it wasn't bothering me so I didn't worry.

During the first week I was there, my husband was staying with me and I felt something jump and land on the bed, but my cat was nowhere to be found (was actually sleeping in the livingroom).

Another night, while I was alone, I felt the bed flex - like someone had pulled up two of the corners and squeezed, then let it down slowly.

I wasn't asleep, so I rolled my head over and said: "Hello," but nothing answered.

That's been the last thing that has happened, and the cat is now ok with coming in the room - so I guess whoever was there has either moved to another apartment or is gone. Maybe it was trying to spook me, but got frustrated when it didn't work, :dunno:

It's too bad, was kinda nice knowing that someone was there, made it not so lonely.

I would imagine it's hard to fake Synesthesia long term. I've been a part (among other people) of an ongoing study here in NYC, that started (for me) in the late 80's and is still going on. They basically have asked me to go through my color alphabet/numbers to be sure its consistant with the other times I've tested and to discribe what it does for me in my life that I find positive or negative. My brain has been scanned in an MRI (brain imaging) while testing. Really, there aren't many negatives other than getting on the wrong train or misspelling certain words (when I was younger) because I didn't like the color it made- so I'd tweak it to my likeing. Other than that I wouldn't change it and don't see it as a disability. But yeah, when it's mention it to somebody the general reaction is disbelief or as I said before, the WTF expression.

I'm more concerned with my staring at sunbeams. :P

I cant explain why INSTEAD OF WRITING MY FUCKING BOOK i keep getting drawn into debates on racism, and this forum in general. Goddamn.

I know what you mean I've only done a few paragraphs for mine even though I've already got half the book figured out.

I have an absurd urge to run every now and then. Also, I find myself writing fiction while in church.

What does this sentence mean?

It means I should be shot (and possibly fired from my job) for having such lousy grammar . This will teach me not to post when I am out of sorts.

And by stairs, I mean ELEVATORS. *facepalms* I hate people who use the elevator when they just have a single floor to go.

How on earth do you ship/slash countries? I mean I suppose there's some kind of warped appeal in wondering what would happen if, say, India got it on with Paraguay, but tectonic plate action does not sound like the usual themes of slashfic. :huh:

Datepalm got it right. It's Hetalia. That anime brings a whole new meaning to the whole "Special Relationship" thing.

Anthropomorphication.

Its a manga (and apparently anime) that retells WW2. I don't really get it either (and the bits I do like are for the history geekery), but my sister has gone as far as to cosplay it.

:D

I was planning to cosplay, but then I came to my senses.

Talking about pedicures in another thread reminded me that I can NOT stand to have my feet touched.

The first and last pedicure I ever had was when I accidentally kicked the chick in the face. Very embarrassing. But I just could NOT stand it!!!! It's giving me the creeps just thinking about it. GAHHHH!!!!

When I was little, it took at least 2 people to cut my toenails. I would seriously freak the hell out.

I have *very* early mentally traumatic images memories of my poor parents trying to get them done.

Ya know... if I had been them, I would have loaded me up with Gravol or something first. ;)

Maybe I was a dog in a former life....

Elevators should be built so that you can't move a single floor up or down.

ETA won't work because of people with disabilities.

Man, I'd be in serious trouble if I couldn't use the elevator even for one floor. In my work I have to carry around heavy equipment on a rolling cart. I do tend to use the handicap button to open doors too. Sometimes it feels like I've got an albatross around my neck. When I go without it, I'm like Sis who Swears and want to RUN!!!!!

ETA: Sorry. It wasn't Sis, it was Wolf Maid. :D

Man, I'd be in serious trouble if I couldn't use the elevator even for one floor. In my work I have to carry around heavy equipment on a rolling cart. I do tend to use the handicap button to open doors too. Sometimes it feels like I've got an albatross around my neck. When I go without it, I'm like Sis who Swears and want to RUN!!!!!

ETA: Sorry. It wasn't Sis, it was Wolf Maid. :D

:P

That's understandable, ToL, because you use equipment. I only meant it for people who could otherwise use the stairs to get there, but take the elevator anyway.

Guest thebadlady

I can't stand people behind me, esp if they are 1. reading over my shoulder or 2. within an arms reach. When I stand in line, I will stand with legs spread and wave my purse back and forth so i can either warn people away or bop them if they get in range. Why? I hate having my ass touched from behind.

HATE shit in my face. Like people waving stuff in my face or close enough to touch me. I have been poked in the eye so often that I don't trust anyone with my face anymore. (guess that is somewhat rational)

Deathly afraid of demons despite being an athiest. Have considered living in a converted church so The Evil can't get me.

Can't sleep at all, but esp can't sleep if I don't have a leg pillow. My knees are too bony to touch each other.

Am totally convinced I will see the guy who raped me again, in person. Have been training so I can do a KoS.

I almost forgot (the comment about Demons jarred my memory), I cannot sleep with any part of my body hanging off of the bed. I heard a story about little demons that try to come and steal your breath while you sleep (but can only do so if your hand or foot is off the edge of your bed) one time (long ago). Ever since then, I have to either have my hands and feet fully on the bed, or I have to sleep on the floor (which makes no sense). I also have an abnormal fear of werewolves, and will almost always be on the lookout for them if I am anywhere outside at night.

I pathologically must sit at a restaurant facing the majority of the room, and I feel uncomfortable when I'm on the wrong side. Especially when I'm forced to look directly at a wall.

I have some sort of similar inclination when I'm riding a bus. Or a car. Or a train. Or a plane. I must be on the window seat.

I love flyovers. I get disappointed when the bus I'm riding on doesn't use one.

I have an intense fear of death. Not of dying, but of being dead. The worst part is that rather than a typical phobia of spiders or clowns, I know that I'll never overcome it. The few people I've told about this can't seem to understand it at all, which makes me think there's something quite abnormal about it. :dunno:

What is it about being dead that's so frightening?

I liken being dead to being under full anesthesia - you have no sense of anything. It's quite peaceful, actually. When you awaken, it's kinda tough to reenter the world.

Makes me sort of understand Michael Jackson - :leaving:

I have an intense fear of death. Not of dying, but of being dead. The worst part is that rather than a typical phobia of spiders or clowns, I know that I'll never overcome it. The few people I've told about this can't seem to understand it at all, which makes me think there's something quite abnormal about it. :dunno:

Are you afraid you'll be locked in your body as it rots or something?

I've been around dying people and I can tell you: whatever you want to call what you are (soul, spirit, ghost, whatever) - you're not there afterward.

Sometimes you actually leave early.

My father's soul was gone 4 days before his body gave out.

I don't know where you go - I just know that you won't get stuck in your body.

As the nature of all phobias, yours can't be reasoned with - but believe me when I tell you: Death isn't as bad as you probably think.

Dad told me: "Dying is easy, living is hard."

I have this too, to the point of freaking right the fuck out. There's nothing you can do about it to make it better, it WILL happen.

For some reason it has gotten better since my mom died. :/

Anyways, I.... don't wanna talk about it. Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one.

I almost forgot (the comment about Demons jarred my memory), I cannot sleep with any part of my body hanging off of the bed. I heard a story about little demons that try to come and steal your breath while you sleep (but can only do so if your hand or foot is off the edge of your bed) one time (long ago). Ever since then, I have to either have my hands and feet fully on the bed, or I have to sleep on the floor (which makes no sense). I also have an abnormal fear of werewolves, and will almost always be on the lookout for them if I am anywhere outside at night.

I saw a movie, The Gate, when I was about seven years old that scared the beejeezus out of me. There was a part where a demon hand reached out from under the bed and grabbed someone's ankle. I'm not really a believer in demons now, but I still get a little jittery when walking around the bed at night. Some nights when I get up to use the bathroom I practically jump away from the bed so no demons can reach out and grab my ankle.

Archived