Things about yourself you cannot rationally explian

Crazydog7

I guess the desire to kills ones self is not as irrational as we thought?

I also have a total pathological fear of needles. I will faint away at the slightest touch of a needle to my skin.

Also the thought of being cut open with a knife or anything else that is sharp scares the be-jesus out of me.

It is hard to be your kids hero when they watch you faint when getting your blood drawn, or when you recoil in fear when your mother is cutting meat for dinner...

- Unlike a few boarders here, I feel weird if the volume setting isn't on a prime number.

- If your children aren't well behaved I will hate them with the intensity of a thousands suns.

- I have deja vu/dream visions at least 2-3 times a week.

- I always put my left shoe/panttleg/sleeve on first.

- The sight of someone bleeding excites me. It also makes me focus on the moment a little more.

- I revert to the intellectual capacity of a 2nd grader around puppies and kittens.

- I think about the deaths of my family and friends and how I'll react to them all the time.

- I can only eat melted cheese.

- I think about the deaths of my family and friends and how I'll react to them all the time.

This is a good trait, I think. It forces one to evaluate how he or she is treating loved ones. Life is a fragile thing, and it's good to think through whether you're doing enough with the time you have with them.

Oh. I hate Potatos. A lot. I'm the only person I know who thoroughly dislikes them. I'll eat potato products, but only if they've been processed to the extent that they lose that starchy potato flavor one gets in baked or mashed potatos. So I'll eat thin french fries and potato chips. But thick french fries? Bleh.

With so many of us having the 'suicidal urge' - I wonder how many actual suicides were from people who lost against the compulsion rather than planned?

I thought of a couple more of mine:

I have to have something on both wrists, be it a bracelet or a watch. If my arms are bare, I swear I can feel the energy draining out through my fingers. I have some irrational thought that by having something tied/wrapped around my wrists somehow keeps my 'strength' from leaking out.

I also wear the ankh that came out of the Ultima 4 on a necklace. The game instructed people to 'always keep the ankh with you' - so I did, even more so after my brother (who gave me the game) died. If I have to take the necklace off for any reason (like wear pearls or something fancy), I tuck the chain under my clothes, so it's still against my skin.

Would be just my luck if the thing is pure lead and poisoning me slowly, :unsure:

I really enjoy reading about all your quirks, and am ranking all the boarders who posted here on a scale of oddness.

I get the irrational suicide thing, but other than that I have realized that I'm fairly normal.

Tally another one for suicide compulsion. I don't want to die, but sometimes I really want to drive off a cliff.

I find it nearly impossible to take a crap at work.

I am most mystified by the people on this thread who can't tell their right hands from their left. That seems like one of those things you just know without thinking about it.

I am most mystified by the people on this thread who can't tell their right hands from their left. That seems like one of those things you just know without thinking about it.

When I was a kid, I remembered left from right by picturing myself standing in front of my house. I knew my friend's house was two houses to the right, so that would let me know which way was right. But as time went on, it became more and more instinctual. I sort of dodged a bullet on this one, given that I have multiple dyslexic family members who have trouble with left/right.

I forgot this one! I don't do it all the time, but I've done it every now and then ever since I was a kid.

Also, I have an irrational fear of anyone getting near my wrists with anything sharp. I am also terribly afraid of giving blood; the last time I did it was about 7 years ago. I had one of those regular medical examinations this year and was also required to give blood, but I totally freaked out - I hid my arms behind my back and started to back off and cry.

Since everyone is being so open and honest, I guess I'll give you all a little deeper look at me. Here is everything that you never wanted to know about me:

~You can add one more to the suicidal compulsions list. For me, it's just that I sometimes get so tired of being stuck with my finances and the limited life that they leave me that I sometimes have the thought of, "Well, could just scratch this life and see what the afterlife is like."

~I also despise Avocados, but that's because I bit into one (like it was an apple or a pear) not knowing what it was when I was younger.

~I avoid tomatoes in all forms. I think that they are a gateway for evil to work it's way into your soul. I generally will not eat anything that even has tomato on the list of ingredients. Oddly, I cannot seem to break myself from using V8 in my stews, and I have been known to enjoy salsa. Still, if given a viable alternative that is free from the wolf peach (tomato), I will take it.

~In addition to my frequent urge to hand random people whatever money I may have, I sometimes have a random urge to strike, strangle, trip, push, or otherwise cause harm to people that I walk near or who walk by me.

~I continually have to stop myself from buying treats, candies, sodas, etc. for other people's kids when I am in the store and the parent tells them "No." That one is a really hard urge to resist.

~If I see someone digging for change when they are making a purchase, there is a 90% probability that I am going to say "I got it" and offer up said change.

~I hate being alone, and yet I live alone and my lifestyle of choice (living conditions, etc.) is not one that any mentally stable woman would ever want to enter.

~I'm exceptionally picky when it comes to dating and will often try to find out as much as I can about a girl and her family before even thinking about asking her out. I will not ask her out, if I could not see myself being happy with having her as a wife some day. A large part of said happiness is the probability of the mixing of our genes producing quality human beings.

~I try very hard to be humble (I have a lot to be humble about), but I cannot keep myself from occasionally feeling that I am naturally superior to the entire rest of the human race. I cannot explain why, but I sometimes feel as though ruling over the entire planet is my birth right.

~I can obsess over the most insignificant details of some random rock, blade of grass, leaf, etc. for hours. This makes hiking a perilous and often time consuming activity.

~I can become over-concerned to the point of paranoia when a friend or family member is sick or injured (I had a friend with a severe cold that was on his way to Walgreen's when his phone died and I rushed across town and tracked him down there to make sure that he was okay). When it comes to my own personal health and safety though, I can be extremely uncaring and often quite reckless.

~I am far too giving. That applies to my time, my food, and my money. I am also far too reluctant to ask others for help when I need it.

I keep getting IPS Driver errors when I try to post today.

Another common one of mine: jumping in front of the subway train.

This. So many of us get suicide compulsions but this is still the strongest of them for me, which still scares me after all these years. That, and gazing lovingly at sharp knives sometimes.

I have a good inexplicable one for you though. I don't like my toes touching each other. There isn't really much you can do about it and thankfully I don't always feel discomfort, but when I do... It has provided my husband with countless moments of hilarity when I can't get comfortable enough to sleep because my toes are touching.

For me the odd moment of thinking what it would be like to be gay, and deja vous reasonably often.

But my older sister has a far more interesting one: She sees dead people.

Well when she was little she saw dead people, then she shut it off because she didn't want to be in contact with them and naturally it freaked her out seeing dead people she didn't know (I never knew at the time). Then in the last couple of years my 20 years dead grandmother started paying her the odd visit. After my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and had a bit of a crisis (he's still with us thankfully) my other more recently dead grandmother paid her a visit, just the once. We were on holiday a few weeks ago visiting my parents, and grandma visited, I saw / felt nothing but when my sister said "grandma's here" I got all tingly skinned. Just a physiological reaction on my part I'm certain, but the mere thought of being present during a visitation weirded me out. My sister just feels love and warmth and not freaky at all, though the visitations sometimes surprise her when grandma just pops in.

When I was a kid, I remembered left from right by picturing myself standing in front of my house. I knew my friend's house was two houses to the right, so that would let me know which way was right. But as time went on, it became more and more instinctual. I sort of dodged a bullet on this one, given that I have multiple dyslexic family members who have trouble with left/right.

I have a good sense of direction and have always scored very high on spatial ability tests, but I also mix up left/right when I have to verbalize them. I also do a similar thing as you, but when I need to remember which side of the car my gas tank is on. I picture myself at the first gas station I went to in that car, and then pull up to the tank on that side. It is the passenger side. But if someone else is driving and I'm a passenger, and they need gas, and ask what side it's on, I can only point and say "That side".

oy! I almost had a panic attack just reading this. What a total nightmare. Did you have plenty of water at least?? I hope I can scrub this image out of my mind before I have to fly next (November)!!!

Aww I was trying to make you feel better, not worse! Don't you at least feel a tiny bit better knowing its not an irrational fear? LOL.

But seriously, I did have water and a candy bar so it wasn't horrible. But I was really hungry. Just keep on bringing that food and water with you and you will be fine. Its not irrational to do so.

But if someone else is driving and I'm a passenger, and they need gas, and ask what side it's on, I can only point and say "That side".

oh you're one of those people. people do that to me in the cab all the time, as I'm drriving, point and say "that side! that side!" which always gets my snide response, "I can't see where you're pointing because I can't turn around, mack."

and this is just left and right. also shocking is the amount of people who can't tell North, South, East or West in a perfectly gridded city.

oh you're one of those people. people do that to me in the cab all the time, as I'm drriving, point and say "that side! that side!" which always gets my snide response, "I can't see where you're pointing because I can't turn around, mack."

and this is just left and right. also shocking is the amount of people who can't tell North, South, East or West in a perfectly gridded city.

I can do NSEW directions. But if I refer to the east side of the car, I just get weird looks. And/or the response, "You know the car moves don't you?" :rolleyes:

Archived