AussieCon 4

felice

Highlights:

- getting to spend so much time with GRRM - Stubby first introducing us on Thursday morning, dinner that night (so brilliant!), sitting right up front for all his panels (so fangrly), the book-signing, the parties and of course the Quest

- meeting MG, Malt and Pod - they've been household names here on the board for so long, it was great to actually meet them and fantastic that they could make the journey to Oz to enrich all of us Aussie noobs' con experience

- hanging out with the awesome BWB members - you guys rock

Lowlights:

- leaving

- leaving

- leaving

Haha thanks...but it really didn't improve over multiple days, it was shameful!

Not shameful at all! I still am shy around GRRM 4-5 years later.

Regina I love your signature/ msg thing!

Thanks! I love BBT!

Lots to read clearly. Crappy internet connection here, so i'll just say that it was great to meet everyone. BwB Australia is an awesome bunch. Socks and all. And it was a very good con and Stubby and Laoise did a wonderful job of ensuring it would happen right. Come what may.

More eventually.

Hey, were you up for a new title this time around? Are you like God-King-Emperor now, or what? ;-)

It's in my sig, Malt. ;)

Love it!

home now . with a bit of the post con emo + a lugi (thanks shitty melbourne weather).

theres been some thanks mentioned so i will add my voice of gratitude to that - both within the specifics and as a general "ta to everyone for making fungi and i feel so welcome and included"

over the period of the con i have lost:

- my voice

- a solid chunk of dollars (though not as bad as others)

- 20 hours of sleep

- 2kg (that can kindly stay away)

over the period of the con i have gained:

- a deeper appreciation for the world of westeros and all its awesomeness (not to mention suprise over grrm heartthrobbery..!)

- a solid discovery of new reading material and some beautiful shaun tan prints to line my walls

- a thousand and one new tangents to send my mind on at boring points of drivel at work - courtesy of many stimulating conversations and discussions

- a desire to put pen to paper again and happiness at seeing others equally inspired

- a stack of new laughter lines

- numerous other memories for the emotional rucksack, to be unwrapt at other times

and most importantly:

- a fantastic bunch of new mates :)

- and some precious time with an old one :)

some valuable advice imparted by others over the convention, for those considering whether to attend their first con:

At our "How to Enjoy this Con" sessions, a participant asked what the dress code was, to which the panelist replied "Cover your cock!" - this is indeed indicative of the eclectic fashion sense out there, anything seems to go, anyone is welcome. Someone else also asked what to expect in terms of all these parties that are alluded to. A panelist started to regale how at their first con they were shown how to roll a joint! this is not indicative necessarily of bWb parties, but if it highlights anything its that geeks can party. Seriously. Lastly, if you're worried about not knowing anyone, the bwb'ers are the friendliest, most welcoming people out there - you're in good hands.

and a final note : looks like you can add me and the gentle giant to chicago 2012. he's keen to go, on the previso that we go to a bunch of NFL and NBL matches (the things i do for love!). so will see some of you there again, although i hope our paths cross sooner x

morningsword, Jew + Dean - are you guys going on Monday to the signing at galaxy??

also thinking given what george was saying re-bwb aus following, should we make some sort of pamphlets to hand out to people while they are signing and we still have post con glow?

morningsword, Jew + Dean - are you guys going on Monday to the signing at galaxy??

also thinking given what george was saying re-bwb aus following, should we make some sort of pamphlets to hand out to people while they are signing and we still have post con glow?

I can't guarantee that i'll be there but i'll make an effort. I have an assignment due that day and usually work at five but we'll see how we go. I think the signing is at 12:30-3:30 so it may be a possibility provided i get my act together.

Pamphlets sounds like an awesome idea. What are you thinking content wise?

Oh and how's this, I sorta know simhanada from another geek event - the Melbourne International Film Festival (i take 2+ weeks off work and see as many films as I can, 66 this year) - we're friends of friends, was funny seeing him show up at the BWB meets, now we know we have more than film stuff to chat about at the opening/closing nights and between films!

Does anyone know if they got a photo of me with George prominently in the frame? I totally forgot to get one during the signing and later at the party, doh! Not too worried if not.

I'm actually starting to regret going to a bunch of panels and not just hanging out with the BWB more during the day, some of those panels really were quite shit (but then some were pure awesomeness as well). Also regretting not heading in on the Sunday for Peter V Brett stuff, vamps vs zombies and the Hugos ceremony, damn those Sydney Swans for being the greatest AFL team ever and putting on an awesome match to watch! BTW am gonna be at the game this Sat night and (stupidly) got tix directly behind the goals so look out for me on the tube.

The Warden of the Wombats has spoken (in the other thread) re pamphlets, which makes things a lot easier! But it was a cool idea anyhow. I was surprised how many people were at GRRM's reading (standing room only!) and only maybe 30 of us were BWB.

I won't be at the signing as I'm working. I'm seriously thinking of coming in after dinner though as I could be in the city by 10pm and it would be fantastic to see you guys again and meet the other Sydney BWBers that didn't make it to the con.

My AussieCon friends, it was fantastic meeting you all, and George and Parris of course, and participating in the BwB events.

I regret not being able to farewell any of you as I dropped off the radar on the last day with a full on cold. So Monday was a haze spent in the apartment, Tuesday was no better but made worse for the travel home and for it I've had to take a couple extra days away from the office and work from home.

Enough moping, yet to completely read through the thread to see all other recollections, but here are the good things I recall...

• Stubby - our amicable leader "Fair bump, play on",
  • Laoise --- and his lovely lady (waves)
  • serMountainGoat - Tireless and genuinely approachable
  • Maltaran - I've finally met a couple of westeros.org's
  • Padraig --- "Children of the forest", good blokes
  • Paxter - Bromance is a beautiful thing,
  • Ski the Swift --- I may join in chat with you two sometime, but I'll wait til after the honeymoon
  • Gryphon Strike - Quintissential Aussie battler, complete with Akubra hat
  • Neal - The South Queensland boys,
  • ThatGuy (aka Neal's friend) --- never bid against them in a silent auction
  • Azmure + wife, - The Canberra clan led by the dedicated Jimmy
  • Sneaky Monkey & friends
  • Agnes Completo - The fabulous Canberra girls,
  • Sarella --- always with a smile
  • Horza - the laid back kid, I hope you've secured that signed Rofuss book in a safe place
  • morningsword - the lovely morningsword, hope you got Mieville to sign his Hugo Winner for you!
  • Simhanada - Melburnians who stepped up heroically for the BwB,
  • Ser Camaris --- fantastic.
  • stormborne - The awesome Sydney girls,
  • fungi always pleasant and now one with a pretty cool title
  • Jebus - I remember we drank a lot, you with your beers, me with my ciders
  • JewBear - I can't believe how fast you two got to Stalactites for the Quest,
  • Dean --- I'm sure we passed you, twice!
  • Jake - Dimples Jake, I'm sure I can speak for everyone else and say that we'll be keeping an eye on you in the future
  • The Inquisitor - Let us know your blood type just in case
  • Confalume - Sorry you guys didn't make the Thurs dinner,
  • Luce Magoose --- you would have enjoyed George & Parris' company as we did

I remember I took photos before I fell apart towards the end. There's only a few and the last of which was a request from Ski the Last.

I remember I took photos before I fell apart towards the end. There's only a few and the last of which was a request from Ski the Last.

Thanks for uploading the photos Ithanos(and everyone else that has)

The Dinner with George and Parris reminded me of the waiter, down the end of the photo next to stubby. He was phenomenal, he remembered everyones meal at the table, thats alot of meals! When all the plates were coming out he'd take one look at a meal another waiter was carrying and direct it to the right person. very impressed.

The Pickler:

I remember now, he sat under the Stark banner. I sat not far from him to observe the crowd and when I peered over his shoulder I thought at first he'd grabbed the bartender's tip jar. Then I saw it was full of some red coloured cocktail. I didn't see him finish his drink because Parris came and sat next to me for a kind chat. Gosh she's lovely and easy to listen to, she knew most of us were complete nOObs and spoke of her first experience at a convention and came across completely genuine. Warm fuzzies.

The Ribbon guy:

Met him too at the BwB party. Asked me where I got my "Revenge served hot" ribbon and I told him it was a present from some new friends. I think he wanted more specifics. Saw him later on and realised he had an arms length of ribbons to my three but somehow I was more than happy with the ones I sported.

Of course, Pickler & Ribbon guy may well be closet GRRM fans and future BwBers, so all in good spirit if they make themselves known to us :)

The Donald Sutherland stand-in:

I think Stubby paid mention to him earlier, Julian I think his name was, who had helped us get a hold of the venue. Dude was suave and dressed to the nines and a spitting image of Sutherland senior in his mature prime.

@stormborne,

- a solid discovery of new reading material and some beautiful shaun tan prints to line my walls

Nice, his presentation was pretty good and I realised then what a great body of work he has, and even though I didn't give him top vote in the Hugo category I'm glad he won.

Does anyone know if they got a photo of me with George prominently in the frame? I totally forgot to get one during the signing and later at the party, doh! Not too worried if not.

I got one of you at the signing, sadly you were not at the table but you were next in line so there is you and George in the same frame. Not uploaded to the gallery yet but maybe this evening I will get around to it.

Does anyone know if they got a photo of me with George prominently in the frame? I totally forgot to get one during the signing and later at the party, doh!

Not exactly, here's a picture of your sideburn in the same room with George, and here's part of your body on the same couch as George!! :lol:

Awesome photos ithanos, thanks for posting them!

The Pickler:

I remember now, he sat under the Stark banner. I sat not far from him to observe the crowd and when I peered over his shoulder I thought at first he'd grabbed the bartender's tip jar. Then I saw it was full of some red coloured cocktail. I didn't see him finish his drink because Parris came and sat next to me for a kind chat.

The Donald Sutherland stand-in:

I think Stubby paid mention to him earlier, Julian I think his name was, who had helped us get a hold of the venue. Dude was suave and dressed to the nines and a spitting image of Sutherland senior in his mature prime.

Looking closely at my photos (to try to spot Jebus), I came across this which I hadn't noticed before - I was just trying to get a photo of the BWB and Stark banners, but Tamer of the Magic Nose Goblins is front and centre!

Also a pic of the Don Sutherland look-alike being present with a Gift for Service Above and Beyond the Call of Duty.

Archived