World Cup 2010 - South Africa is Coming

Renasko

Damn you, Germany. *shakes fist*

Hopefully Russia can make it through during the playoffs.

I wouldn't worry, he's done it before with a much harder tie.

ETA: and good ol Septic Bladder has decided that it would be a nightmare for ratings if Russia, France or Portugal were eliminated in favour of undeserving Irish and Slovenes.

In the past I've been critical of Conor Casey's inclusion in the squad. But I take it all back today.

This game again showed frailties when we try to sit back and defend a lead. Honduras really should have drawn that game, perhaps even won. I really started to get flashbacks of our collapse against Brazil during the second half.

Greece, please.

Isn't Samaras like their best player? Not sure if I'd be worried about him. He runs hot and cold. I watch him every week, and some moments he looks a dazzling, powerful forward capable of scoring 20+ goals a season, but he'll always be a player who is just above average.

If Georgios Samaras' was their best player then he wouldn't be playing for Celtic. I think Charisteas is Greece's best player but I can't be too sure because their names are very confusing.

Did the Italians cheat at all, or was it just them being bloody lucky again?

(I bet Fergie ws the 4th official.)

Really strange about the seedings for the no. 2 play-offs. You'd think you'd just put all the no. 2's in one bowl and draw them against each other. After all, none of the teams were good enough to finish first in their group so they don't deserve to be favoured, do you really then need to make another shifting between "traditionally big" no. 2's and "more surprising no. 2's", with the goal only being that those big countries make it to the WC? I'd say no, but as ever Fifa feels differently.

And another bugbear: naturalizations. Portugal played Hungary last night with 3 genuine Brazilians in the side. This is getting ridiculous. In the process the country has finally found itself a solution to it's long standing striker problem. It's assimilated Liedson, a full Brazilian, to it's ranks, because he plays for a Portuegese club. To me that is just cheating.

Which does change the Portuguese perspective somewhat. I think they and France are very likely to emerge victorious from the play offs, and both teams I would still consider serious contenders next year if they can get it together.

Russia was unfortunate against Germany, but on the other hand, you could have said that in advance. It's usual for teams to play Germany and have dominance, create chances, and then lose. Germany now beat Russia twice and there is no doubt they are a very sturdy side that deserved the first place and goes to the WC as a favourite. Russia, I would expect Hiddink's side to make it through the play offs. But I see in the non ranked part Bosnia, who actually have a very good side with two great srikers in Dzeko and Ibisevic. Ireland, hard to say what they can do, they did well enough against a fairly mediocre Italian side and would certainly have a good chance if they draw Greece. I hope they draw Greece, because I would far prefer Ireland to make it, the Greeks being so devastatingly boring a side.

Elsewhere, the US and Mexico have qualified. That was a given. I have no idea if their teams are better now than they were in the past.

Latin America:

Argentina gets an injury time winner against Peru and moves to 4th place. Uruguay beat Ecuador and move to 5th place. Wednesday Argentina play Uruguay in a decisive match. Looks like Argentina need a draw from that match to qualify as no. 4. If Ecuador win their final match they come in 5th and play against Honduras or Costa Rica.

I think Charisteas is Greece's best player but I can't be too sure because their names are very confusing.

If Angelos Charisteas was their best player he wouldn't be playing for Nuremberg.:P

Seriously though, he is very, very average. Not sure who are the standout names for Greece these days.

Really strange about the seedings for the no. 2 play-offs. You'd think you'd just put all the no. 2's in one bowl and draw them against each other.

Didn't they use the same system for the last WC as well? Seeding is prevalent in all football competitions, not sure why anyone would expect WC qualifiers to be an exception. I don't particularly like it, mind you, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

I mean, if someone suggested to change draws for, say, the Champions League to "fairer" lots of people would immediately jump up and ask whether a CL final FC Barcelona-Manchester United is not preferable to Red Star Belgrade-Steaua Bucuresti.

Seeding is prevalent in all football competitions, not sure why anyone would expect WC qualifiers to be an exception

It's really pretty straightforward, so I am not sure why you would have trouble understanding why I find it a curious system.

All of the no. 2's from their various groups come in one pot. Why? Because all have failed to establish a certain performance, namely become 1st in their group. Throw all of them together to see who the best four no.2's are, and they qualify.

I understand well enough that seeding is common in football. What I question is the use of seedings in this particular case, it seems an excessive distinction between equals.

On another note, not sure why ZDF is asking Rudi Voller to be analyst for matches. I was watching him yesterday and he continious to be one of the most hideous people to have ever graced a football pitch. Interesting to see his opinion on the Dutch team as well, and entirely predictable :D

It's really pretty straightforward, so I am not sure why you would have trouble understanding why I find it a curious system.

Is it any more curious than using seeding to decide who is drawn against whom in the CL? After all, they all achieved the same thing: they qualified for the CL. In fact, some national champions are disadvantaged through seeding when compared to teams placed second, third or fourth in Spain, England and Italy. Curious indeed.

On another note, not sure why ZDF is asking Rudi Voller to be analyst for matches. I was watching him yesterday and he continious to be one of the most hideous people to have ever graced a football pitch. Interesting to see his opinion on the Dutch team as well, and entirely predictable

Well if you insist on watching this kind of "analysis" on TV you've only got yourself to blame.;) Luckily the German U-20 team was playing Brazil in Egypt concurrently with the game in Russia (not so luckily they lost after extra time) so I could switch between the games instead of switching off the sound for 15 minutes.

Out of curiosity, what was Völler's opinion on the Dutch, and in what context did he get to mention it?

After each match Voller was asked what he thought of it. He didn't have anything of substance to say on any of the matches they showed him, making me wonder why they ask people like that to comment.

Afterwards they went through the teams that had already qualified early in the campaign and showed a map of Europe. When asked what he made of the Dutch, who the presenter seemed to think were a strong candidate, Voller replied that he expected little of them, threw up the old cliche of the Dutch being only individuals and then added that he thought Italy, France and of course Germany had a much stronger side than the Dutch. Predictably he didn't count England as one of the stronger teams either, despite the Dutch and English qualifying results being considerably more impressive than Italy or France. Furthermore his biased estimate flies in the face of the Euro 2008 results were pretty much the same Dutch team as we see know wiped the floor with both France and Italy.

On another note, not sure why ZDF is asking Rudi Voller to be analyst for matches. I was watching him yesterday and he continious to be one of the most hideous people to have ever graced a football pitch.

Another Dutchman spitting on Völler. Entirely predictable... :D

AFC/OFC Play-Off

Bahrain failed to win at home, which put them on a disadvantage, but the Kiwi's need to score a goal to qualify.

CAF

Group 1

Losing their away matches means that both Togo and Morocco are eliminated. Cameroon have a point lead over Gabon with one match to go.

Group 3

Egypt's away win in Zambia means that Zambia is eliminated, while the final match next month at home against Algeria will determine who'll qualify. North Africa is secured at least one spot though.

Group 5

An away point for the Ivory Coast was enough to get them to South Africa.

CONCACAF

Not quite unexpectedly, the US and Mexico are now qualified. El Salvador is out, while both Costa Rica and Honduras are secured at least a play-off spot.

CONMEBOL

A much needed win for Maradonna's Argentina probably felt good, but they need a point across the river in Montevideo to secure qualification. Chile's win in Colombia sent them to South Africa, while Colombia was eliminated. The key match this Wednesday is the one between Uruguay and Argentina, a winner in that match will send them to South Africa, while the loser most likely will end up on the play-off spot. A draw will see Argentina in South Africa, while Uruguay most likely will get the play-off spot.

UEFA

Group 1

Denmark wins this group after defeating Sweden at home. Portugal's win over Hungary means that all they need to do is beat Malta at home to secure a play-off spot.

Group 2

Switzerland have secured at least a play-off spot, while Greece only have to beat Luxembourg at home to copy that.

Group 3

With a strong away win against group leaders Slovakia, Slovenia is as good as secured a play-off spot since all they have left is an away match against San Marino. Slovakia must beat Poland away to remain at the top of this group.

Group 4

Losing at home to Germany, means that Russia will have to settle for a play-off spot, while Germany is ready for the finals.

Group 5

Bosnia's away win in Estonia secured their play-off spot, thus eliminating Turkey even before they had the chance to lose in Belgium. Spain retained their 100% record with an away win in Armenia.

Group 6

By destroying England's 100% record, the Ukraine somehow have to avoid beating Andorra to avoid a play-off spot.

Group 7

Serbia's 5:0 trashing of Romania see them qualified for the finals, while France must endure play-off matches first.

Group 8

Italy is the winner of this group, if there ever was any question about this, following a point in Ireland. The same point, combined with Bulgaria's humiliating defeat on Cyprus, secures a play-off spot to Ireland.

Group 9

Despite all odds, Norway is still not eliminated. All they need is a draw between Sweden and Albania, and Malta beating Portugal away with more than four goals.

Summary as of 10 October 2009

205 teams taking place in the competition

19 team qualified: South Africa, Japan, Australia, South Korea, Netherlands, North Korea, Brazil, Ghana, England, Spain, Paraguay, Ivory Coast, Germany, Denmark, Serbia, Italy, Chile, Mexico and United States

5 teams withdrawn: Bhutan, Central African Republic, Eritrea, Guam and São Tomé & Príncipe

2 teams eliminated through technicalities: Palestine and Papua New Guinea

1 team excluded: Ethiopia

144 teams eliminated

34 teams still in the qualifying rounds: Algeria, Argentina, Austria, Bahrain, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, France, Gabon, Greece, Honduras, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Kenya, Latvia, Lithuania, Morocco, Mozambique, New Zealand, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay, Venezuela and Zambia

Highest ranking eliminated team (according to the September 2007 FIFA Ranking): Romania (ranked 12)

Lowest ranking team qualified: North Korea (ranked 131)

Lowest ranking team still inn: New Zealand (ranked 156)

Highest number of undefeated matches: 13 (South Korea)

Most wins: 13 (United States in 17 matches)

Teams with 100% record: Spain (9 matches) and Netherlands (8 matches)

Best goal difference: +26 (United States in 17 matches)

Best average goal difference: +2.83 per match (Solomon Islands)

Worst goal difference: -37 (American Samoa in 4 matches)

Worst average goal difference: -10 per match (US Virgin Islands)

Biggest win (not counting matches vs. Tuvalu): 29/08/07 Vanuatu 15 vs. American Samoa 0

After each match Voller was asked what he thought of it. He didn't have anything of substance to say on any of the matches they showed him, making me wonder why they ask people like that to comment.

Yeah, that's German television football analysis for you. Be glad it wasn't Beckenbauer, he often doesn't even seem to know who is playing. I wish they would just drop the stupid "expert analysis" bit of their coverage already, especially since these "experts" are paid (quite handsomely, I imagine) with our mandatory licensing fees.

And another bugbear: naturalizations. Portugal played Hungary last night with 3 genuine Brazilians in the side. This is getting ridiculous. In the process the country has finally found itself a solution to it's long standing striker problem. It's assimilated Liedson, a full Brazilian, to it's ranks, because he plays for a Portuegese club. To me that is just cheating.

IIRC, Capello feels the same way you do - I seem to remember a quote saying he's not going to pick Almunia for the England team.

It looks like USA will Qualify #1 out of CONCACAF, Woo hoo! One thing that has long afflicted not only team USA but also their MLS clubs is playing away in the latin countries of CONCACAF. This win was big for Bradley. I do not want to finish qualifying below Mexico. Do you hear me Jozy? Landon? Timmy? Gooch?

I do feel, however, that this win is tinged with a bit of bittersweetness as Honduras, with all of the turmoil surrounding whether they'd even be able to host a qualifier, needed this win perhaps more than we did. I hope that the US returns the favor by beating Costa Rica at home, to not only finish first, but help Honduras get the final guaranteed spot. They deserve it for what they've been through.

As for my other country Nigeria, the task becomes difficult but not desperate. If they hold serve at home against Mozambique, that should take us into the final round of qualifying alive. As it stands Nigeria is the only one of the continental favorites that doesn't more or less control it's own destiny. Even Egypt has managed to pull even with Algeria.

As it stands, CAF looks good to send a majority of it's strongest sides to South Africa. CIV and the Black Stars have taken care of business already. The Pharoahs have pulled even with Algeria and I expect them to take that spot because in the final round Algeria has to play in Egypt, which the Pharoahs should take the full 3 pts. As for Cameroon, for the moment Eto'o and co. lead their group. Both they and Gabon play away for their final match. Cameroon at Morocco and Gabon at Togo. By far Gabon has the tougher task and I'm surprised that it's not Togo pushing Cameroon instead of Gabon. Anyway, both Togo and Morocco still have ACN to play for so I expect both teams to recall thier best which means that Adebayor will likely be on the field for Togo. Cameroon can lose their last game and still get top spot.

So that leaves the Super Eagles as the only one of Africa's top teams that actually needs help to qualify for the first (and probably only) World Cup staged on The Continent. Which sucks for me bc I'm Nigerian-American. So it looks like I may be rooting for CIV and Ghana as I'm a big Chelsea fan, but if we don't get the draw or loss that we need out of Tunisia we will have only ourselves and our crap federation to blame for missing this once-in-a-lifetime channel opportunity. Blerg!

Lemon out!

(BTW is it NHAW time again?)

So it looks like I may be rooting for CIV and Ghana as I'm a big Chelsea fan, but if we don't get the draw or loss that we need out of Tunisia we will have only ourselves and our crap federation to blame for missing this once-in-a-lifetime channel opportunity.

Well, at least Nigeria is still in with a chance but it has definitely made things very difficult for themselves. Again. But the overall entry from Africa looks very strong.

Its a nice touch that the WC qualifiers includes the African Nations Cup qualifiers also. It keeps nearly everyone involved right to the end. The European qualifiers can fail in that regard.

When asked what he made of the Dutch, who the presenter seemed to think were a strong candidate, Voller replied that he expected little of them, threw up the old cliche of the Dutch being only individuals and then added that he thought Italy, France and of course Germany had a much stronger side than the Dutch.

I hate cliches. People decide how countries are going to perform based on a brief scan of the history books and not how they are currently performing. Italy have performed better in the last 2 games they have played but they are still an ageing team, with no decent strikers. France have been struggling for years.

I'm unconcerned about the seedings. FIFA changing the rules made a big stink in Ireland but I couldn't take it seriously. Do we have to make it that obvious that we are scared of playing a decent team in the play-offs? :P

Fact is, we don't deserve to have an easy ride into the WC. I'd be embarrased if I was from New Zealand and they qualify.

And hey, we might get Greece. :) I wouldn't advise anyone to watch that game though! We do work very hard at least but Italy bossed us around after the first 20 minutes but they didn't seem particularly interested with winning. They only needed a draw. But kind of scary how quickly they equalised after we had gone 2-1 ahead.

Greece have had brilliant players. :P Like us, they'd have a few rated like Robbie Keane, Damien Duff etc. Decent but...

There certainly could be a few tough match-ups, even with the seedings.

Pity about Croatia. But they had 2 dire games against England, so probably weren't going to make the same impression as they did in the Euros. They are still the biggest team knocked out though. Hope Ukraine have improved since the last WC at least.

And yes, i'm a bit wary of these naturalisations. Ireland has always done it with the grandfather rule, so I shouldn't say too much. But at the same time, at least having a grandfather from Ireland means you have some proper connection with a country. Spending 3 years playing there (for pay) seems more like being a mercenary. OTOH, some players do marry somebody from the country etc. That at least seems a bit more "real". But still, not something i'm a huge fan of.

I was watching the live updates of the Argentina game. :lol: They threw away a 1-0 lead with a couple minutes to go. I thought it was over for them but they scoared a minute later again. I wonder will they keep Maradona as manager? They really shouldn't be doing this badly.

Archived