Football thread 14

Jon AS

Who would you all pick?

Well let me start by saying I think Ryan Giggs' spot has been fully deserved, especially for what he has shown this season. Certainly among Man United's best and most consistent, if not the very best player this season sofar.

So many great players there, many deserve it. I would quibble with the two best goalkeeprs being Casillas and Julio Cesar. I'd say vd Sar and Cech, but I'm open to suggestions. Casillas is somewhat overrated. Cesar I have seen very little of.

Gourcuff is a great player many may not know, playmaker for Bordeaux. Plays a lot in the French national side as well, but like many, doesn't excel as much under Domenech's guidance.

I'd agree that John Terry and Vidic are among the very best central defenders in the world right now. Forlan was horrible for Man United but performs superbly in Madrid, year after year.

I'm missing van Persie on this list though. Sneijder should normally be on there but he didn'ty have a good season last year due to injuries.

The spine of Sunderland's team is quite strong, now:

Gordon

Ferdinand-Turner

Cana-Cattermole

Bent-Jones

Still need to fix the wide areas, I feel.

Dunno what you're saying really. Reid and Malbranque have probably been the best wide players in the league so far this season. They're both fantastic at setting up stuff for Jones and Bent. In defence, Ferdinand is too dodgy, we need Mensah in there.

Admittedly the full-backs can be dodgy. McCartney gets caught out too much, and Bardsley is nothing special. We should have kept Danny Collins IMO.

best goalkeepers

Cech

Wait, what? Three years ago, sure. But Cech is tentative now, and is pretty much a liability. Shit, Hilario kept a clean sheet vs. L'pool. I feel terrible about it, because I like Cech very much, and he was very good (and is still a decent shotstopper), but since the injury, he simply does not go into traffic well anymore. You'll notice, both goals vs. Villa were from corners; the D feel they have to compensate, because he's poor in the air, and it leaves holes.

Also, Iniesta should win the Ballon d'Or. So freaking good.

Heh, isn't Iniesta just a bench player for Barca now? Seen them a few times this season, and he's only had a bit part.

As for Cech...man, he's not good, these days. I was playing the new FIFA '10 demo a while back, and found it odd how the gk's seemed to have really low stats. But I found it fitting when Cech had something like 67. Gave me a good laugh, anyway. :P Disappointed they changed it in the actual, full game.

Ah, yeah. Saw the game against Valencia at the weekend, and he played. It was strange to see both teams playing without a centre forward. :S

I'm looking forward to the CL this mid-week. It'll be interesting to see how Utd do without Rooney, Giggs, Evra, Fletcher and Park. :lol: Might see an appearance from Gibson!

Also, Torres is set to miss their big game against Lyon, but Gerrard returns.

If Man City win tomorrow they move into the top 3 as well.

The big clubs look somewhat unimpressive sofar this year. Arsenal is apt to drop points in between a string of good and interesting to watch matches. Man United is fairly consistent but hasn't really excelled in more than one or two matches. Chelsea also takes surprising losses lately. Liverpool without Alonso and with a powerless Benitez still at the helm has become a second string side.

They didn't. ;)

Manchester United and Chelsea may have been less than impressive so far this season, but they're still both first and second respectively in the league, so I don't think they'll be stressing out too much.

As for Arsenal, we've only lost to Manchester United and Manchester City so far this season, but we played well in both games - especially the United one where we were unlucky to lose on balance - and won all our other games. I think people need to take us just a little more seriously than the last few years. Partly because we're better, but partly also because our direct competition are worse. We're constantly written off as the team that can't convert our chances, but with a 6-1 against Everton and a 6-2 against Blackburn, and goals from all over the pitch, we seem to be fixing that problem. Our other perceived problem is our lack of steel in tough matches, but we came from 2-0 down against Standard Liege to win 3-2, so it's in our bag if we need it.

Before the season began I thought we would be the team to leave "The Big Four", but Liverpool have collapsed in dramatic fashion. I thought Sunderland would have them last weekend, and they did, which shows how bad it's getting. Manchester City aren't making as much of an impact on other teams as their money has, but they could still gel very well and have a strong finish to the season. I'm really growing in confidence about our chances as the weeks go by.

Arsenal are the only side I fear at the moment.

And Chelsea, but we already lost to them.

We should have beaten United, we did beat Liverpool which is more points from the big 4 that we got in the whole of last season. (We got 2, both against Arsenal). We were robbed in a lot of games last season though. We're definitely more lucky now, we have a great strike partnership and our defence is our only problem. That's why Arsenal would beat us I think. Arshavin, Fabregas, Rosicky, RVP, Nasri.....they are all top class players.

No, nor is Johnson. Liverpool are giving young Kelly his first competitive start, and Ngog is up front. :lol: Going to be tough to see Liverpool winning.

But, they'll have Aquilani in a couple of weeks, I'd estimate. He's only been back in training for a week, but he's supposedly going to play in the reserves tomorrow.

Archived