American Politics XXI

Ser Scot A Ellison

Um ... start-up cost? Equipment? All sorts of other shit.

Uhm, sorry, but if those numbers are real than whole stimulus package is horribly ineffective. Over 1 million$ to create 1 job? Why not simply give the money to people - having so much money one man would be able to livemaybe 20 years of it.

And I don't think numbers are wrong - after all Obama administration claimed they created or saved 640 000 jobs and stimulus was over 750 billion$. WTF? Seriously why not just give 50 000$ to 14 million of people/families? Something like that would immediately drastically reduce the current poverty leves in US and increase consumer demand.

Here's betting we never find out who got the money or where they actually are.

Whether or not they come up with an explanation for the non-existent districts, I think Tormund is essentially right that we're never really going to know where the majority of the money went.

edit:

The list of spending and job creation in fictional congressional districts extends to U.S. territories as well.

$68.3 million spent and 72.2 million spent in the 1st congressional district of the U.S. Virgin Islands.

$8.4 million spent and 40.3 jobs created in the 99th congressional district of the U.S. Virgin Islands.

$1.5 million spent and .3 jobs created in the 69th district and $35 million for 142 jobs in the 99th district of the Northern Mariana Islands.

$47.7 million spent and 291 jobs created in Puerto Rico's 99th congressional district.

To me the fact that three of the four of these say "99th" district, and the other says 1st, implies that this is some sort of mistake in the recording system.

It seems quite possible to me that someone set up a program asking people to report on these things which includes a line for "congressional district" which MUST be filled in or the program will not accept your submission. On occasion I have had problems with online forms where the people who created them insisted the one include a piece of information which in fact not everyone has. That's very frustrating, because you either have to make something up or not post at all. That people in the territories would put in "99th" district in such a situation shows to me that they are trying to signal their frustration with such a data entry system, since even California only has 53 districts.

:lol:

Holy leaps of logic batman.

It's a little early to start making up excuses for what could easily pan out to just be clerical errors, don't you think?

Personally I think it's a safer bet that they will come up with a reasonable explanation but a lot of self-styled conservatives and libertarians will refuse to believe it.

Thank god we have level headed leftists to discern the real truth for us.

;)

Holy leaps of logic batman.

It's a little early to start making up excuses for what could easily pan out to just be clerical errors, don't you think?

I think the process I described IS one form of a "clerical error". Stupidly programmed computerized forms are one of the main sources of clerical errors these days.

And I really don't think I'm a "leftist", thank you.

I think the process I described IS one form of a "clerical error". Stupidly programmed computerized forms are one of the main sources of clerical errors these days.

Actually, you proposed an absurdluy detailed series of events, and attributed it to the fact that the people who filled out the 'online submission form' were putting in bogus info as a message about their frustrations over the way the form is designed.....

I mean, it's just.... Odd to go to that detailed a level of conjecture........

And I really don't think I'm a "leftist", thank you.

You're welcome!

And I didn't say you were.

Actually, you proposed an absurdluy detailed series of events, and attributed it to the fact that the people who filled out the 'online submission form' were putting in bogus info as a message about their frustrations over the way the form is designed.....

I mean, it's just.... Odd to go to that detailed a level of conjecture........

It really is not that detailed. In fact, it is really, extremely basic and common if you've worked on a project like that (clearly you haven't, but you seem to think you know what you are talking about anyway).

It really is not that detailed. In fact, it is really, extremely basic and common if you've worked on a project like that (clearly you haven't, but you seem to think you know what you are talking about anyway).

Seriously. If you think that counts as "detailed", they you obviously have ZERO experience with or knowledge of any sort of project like this. This is, in fact, EXACTLY the kind of errors you are likely to get.

Hoffman unconcedes NY 23

Hoffman spokesman Rob Ryan said there's a chance the results could be changed, but he conceded it's "a long shot."

He noted that Hoffman worked on the 1980 winter Olympics, when the U.S. "Miracle on Ice" team stunned the Soviet team at Lake Placid and won the gold medal.

Admitting that you need a miracle isn't really projecting a serious contention. This is just an attempt to keep his name in the headlines for as long as possible, in order to set up next year. I think the spokesman should have just come out and said "We're doing this for the attention."

Hoffman unconcedes NY 23

Admitting that you need a miracle isn't really projecting a serious contention. This is just an attempt to keep his name in the headlines for as long as possible, in order to set up next year. I think the spokesman should have just come out and said "We're doing this for the attention."

So far the absentee ballots that have been counted (about 360) have come from areas that Hoffman carried and he picked up a total of 17 votes out of it. Extrapolating that to the full congressional district (which is being kind to Hoffman) still leaves him about 2500 votes behind.

I find it funny how the Republicans are completely willing to accept that a canvass of the results in NY-23 can change the numbers from election night, yet many of them are still in denial about the validity of Franken's win in MN. Many claim that he was behind by 712 on election night and therefore the canvass coming back with him down only 215 shows fraud. Canvassing errors from election night happen in every single election carried out with a large number of local results reported and tabulated together. Heck, in 2006 in MN the canvassing of the Attorney General's race resulted in widening the margin of victory by something like 20,000 votes.

A project like what? Do we even know what the submission process looks like? It's all just.... Odd...

If you say so.....

I would say that assuming that it's a data entry field on the submission form, and then leaping to the conclusion that it's being entered incorrectly by people sending a message about their frustrations with the submission form is pretty in depth speculation.

Particularly if you haven't even seen the submission form, and did not, in fact, work on 'the project' whatever that is, and presumably have not, in fact, spoken to any of the data entry people in order to gauge their 'frustration' level.......

But..... OK........ We can disagree.....

;)

A project like what? Do we even know what the submission process looks like? It's all just.... Odd...

Data entry. Are you being intentionally dense? (My guess (and hope) is yes.)

I would say that assuming that it's a data entry field on the submission form, and then leaping to the conclusion that it's being entered incorrectly by people sending a message about their frustrations with the submission form is pretty in depth speculation.

Particularly if you haven't even seen the submission form, and did not, in fact, work on 'the project' whatever that is, and presumably have not, in fact, spoken to any of the data entry people in order to gauge their 'frustration' level.......

You don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about. How data entry projects are planned then carried out (and routinely fail throughout because nobody actually wants to do data entry.

But..... OK........ We can disagree.....

;)

We can disagree on your level of knowledge on the subject. You are clueless and think that it is somehow complicated. I know that it is generally relatively easy but fucked up by stupid people.

As far as the stimulus related errors, it was reported earlier this fall as the first deadline approached that the states were scrambling to get their data together. IIRC, the speculation then was that the January report would be more accurate, at least as far as the information the states are supposed to provide.

I also read somewhere about the administration declining to include x amount of jobs in their counts because the info didn't look realistic. I thought it was on thehill.com but I can't find it now, sorry.

This isn't to say the admin doesn't exaggerate & use spin. Obviously it does, I just expect there's plenty of first-time problems going on as well.

Failed Republican presidential contender Mike Huckabee told an Orlando radio station yesterday that the decision to hold trials for 9/11 suspects in New York spells doom for the Obama administration.

"I would tell you not only is the Obama administration finished, I think the Democratic Party is finished," Huckabee told WDBO.

"Well, I think it's absurd, and I think the Obama administration will be as much on trail as Khalid Sheikh Mohammed," he said, referring to the self-proclaimed mastermind of 9/11, who will be tried in New York City. "And God help us if they get off on a technicality because of the way the evidence was gathered."

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...hed.php?ref=fpc

Meanwhile, good ol' Hoekstra has blamed the administration for the Ft Hood shooting:

Hoekstra and Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI) charged that terror-fighting tools used until recently by the intelligence community had lately been restricted or placed off limits by the administration. "We know that there are tools and methods that were in use just a few months ago are not in use today," said Rogers. "That is a problem."

The GOPers declined to say which tools they were referring to, or to produce any other evidence to back up their claim. Nonetheless, they blamed the Obama administration's political philosophy. Rogers referred to the administration's decisions to close Guantanamo and to try Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in a civilian court as examples of the administration's approach, before declaring: "There are certain tools and methods that are used by the intelligence community that can be impacted by that kind of political philosophy."

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/...r_f.php?ref=fpb

Sarah Palin calls Democrats "sheep":

You know another key to this, too, is to not hesitate duking it out within the party. This is what I appreciate about the Republican Party. We have contested, aggressive, competitive primaries. We're not like this herd mentality like a bunch of sheep -- with the fighting instincts of sheep, as Horowitz would say -- like some in the Democrat Party; where, heaven forbid, you take a stand and you oppose somebody within your own party because it's the right thing to do. I appreciate that in the Republican Party. Some on the other side say -- you know, they're observing what goes on in the GOP and say -- "That's infighting, and they can't get along, and there's no consensus there." No. This is healthy debate, good competition that makes candidates work harder. It makes for a better product, if you will, at the end of the day. I appreciate that about our party.

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...nce.php?ref=fpb

(edit: oops, double-posted within the quote)

Archived