Is Robert Jordan a Sell-out?

zakalwe7

Os, your sarcasm detector is on the blink

sil? dont follow. all i know is someone claimed it was a fact jrodan sold out when in fact all that is is a basless opinion. the person didnt even back it up with evidence

Welcome to Internet Communications 101. Today's lesson is Sarcasm Detection. Read the transcript below and then answer the questions at the end.

User #1: I think Jessica Alba is the hottest woman in show business. What do you think?

User #2: No way, Angelina Jolie is way hotter.

User #1: That's just your opinion. You have no proof.

User #2: Of course it's my opinion, what else would it be?

User #1: Well, if it's just your opinion you should say so, like I did. Don't act like it's a fact when it's not.

User #2: "Hotness" is an inherently subjective judgement. It would get tedious to keep putting "I think" or "in my opinion" in every message.

User #1: If I can avoid stating my opinions as fact, so can you.

User #2: I take it back. It is not just my opinion. I've just discovered a study done last year by the National Organization of Sexual Hotness Index Testers in which Angelina Jolie received a hotness index of 98 degrees while Jessica Alba's score was only 95 degrees. This proves scientifically that Angelina is 3 degrees hotter than Jessica. So there.

--------------------

Question 1: Is the last post quoted above (a ) Serious, or (b ) Sarcastic?

Question 2: Which of the two following responses is indicative of a malfunctioning Sarcasm Detector?

(a ) I think you're making that up. Give me a link or admit that it's just your opinion and you should have said so in the first place.

(b ) You obviously missed the scandal last year in which NOSHIT was totally discredited when it was revealed that 3 of the judges had accepted bribes from Brad Pitt. You'll have to come up with a more objective study.

Guest OsRavan

note the 'think' before my comment. i clearly marked it otu as an opinion,. an opinion i jsut have. jsut as..countless to your ealrier claims.. yoru claism about jrodan remain baseless opinions not facts

It's like a car crash. I don't want to look but I just can't help myself...

Heck don't bother just type some random spam like most of the other replies and pick on OS.

My thoughts for Today, Monkeys are funny when they big leeches hanging off their heads suckin them dry.

Oh and Robert Jordan is not a sellout just an egotisitcal mook who has lost the fuckin plot(literally).

But heck atleast he is not Terry "I am a repressed Homosexual Facist who makes even good Ideas sound Bad" Goodkind.

I take it back. It is not just my opinion. I've just discovered a study done last year by the National Organization of Sexual Hotness Index Testers in which Angelina Jolie received a hotness index of 98 degrees while Jessica Alba's score was only 95 degrees. This proves scientifically that Angelina is 3 degrees hotter than Jessica. So there.

Agreed. TeriPettit wins the internet.

Guest OsRavan

how do oy uknow RJ lsot his plot? it ocudl eb goign exatly whree he wants it too. jsut because *you* dont like how his plot is progressing doesnt mean itsn ot goign exactly as he wants it to

how do oy uknow RJ lsot his plot? it ocudl eb goign exatly whree he wants it too. jsut because *you* dont like how his plot is progressing doesnt mean itsn ot goign exactly as he wants it to

But that would imply he had a plot to begin with....

Guest OsRavan

i see no reaso nto asusme he didnt and many to asssume he did when he started. dont cofnuse havign a plot you *like* pr what oyu cosndier a *good* plot with having a plot. in fact every written peice of fiction down to the hcidlrens book has a plot of one sort or another. even if the plot is simpyl jane went p the hil lto fetch some water.

what your saying is oyu dont care for hjordans plto or how hes changed it lately. which is fair. bu doesnt mean the plot is out of controll. dont asume that oyu nto likign it means jordan is disatisfied with it.

i see no reaso nto asusme he didnt and many to asssume he did when he started. dont cofnuse havign a plot you *like* pr what oyu cosndier a *good* plot with having a plot. in fact every written peice of fiction down to the hcidlrens book has a plot of one sort or another. even if the plot is simpyl jane went p the hil lto fetch some water.

what your saying is oyu dont care for hjordans plto or how hes changed it lately. which is fair. bu doesnt mean the plot is out of controll. dont asume that oyu nto likign it means jordan is disatisfied with it.

Yes I was being flippant Os, as I don't like Jordan at all. I personally think his work is second rate rubbish that is very repetitive. But it's all a question of taste, it maybe I don't get what he is trying to achieve....just can't get along with WoT at all.

Rev,

"Everybody else: is it really so much fun picking on Os? He's not defenseless exactly, but he's not what you'd call a hard target either."

Before calling it a night, I checked back on this board to see who the top ten posters for today were. Os is number 1. So I checked his profile to see where he was making all of these posts. When I saw that he was on a Robert Jordan sell-out thread, I laughed aloud.

It may be petty, and perhaps a tinsy bit mean, but it is that fun to tease Os. His indefatigable resolve is part of his charm. I can see why people keep making these threads.

You really gotta give OsRaven credit, after all these "RJ is a sellout posts", he just keeps defending the guy.

I only wish Rj would have done what Robin Hobb did, like divide the whole series into 3 ou 4 trilogies that actually ended. RHobb also came out with 9 books and no one even noticed because every book has a meaningful plot and actually ends somewhere. RJ is just dragging the story along, it really gets tiring

I still like WoT. Not as much as I did, it is true, but it's okay. It's not Martin, it's not Erikson, it's not Vance or Tolkien, but it passes the time. The biggest problem I have with it is that it had the potential to be outstanding. The worldbuilding is highly impressive, the constant generation of new ideas in the first few books is commendable and there is an underlying logic to the magic system which is admirable. The utterly awful prose in places (moreso in recent volumes), the outrageous stretching out of one-chapter plotlines across two or three whole novels and the constant introduction of minor characters who do next to nothing and then vanish is wearying.

Robert Jordan isn't a sell-out, he's just an incompetent planner and he's taken a great idea and rammed it into a tree repeatedly until it's nearly fallen apart. 11 goes some way to repairing the damage but 12 will have to be nothing less than the greatest fantasy novel ever written to save the series from critical mediocrity. In my opinion.

osravan--

you do realize, as pointed out above, that all statements earnestly made by human persons are statements of "opinion," right?

it is not necessary, i.e., to preface a statement with "i think," "i believe," "in my opinion," and such like for a statement to be "opinion." such prefaces are merely pleonasm, often included to avoid ruffling the feathers of those who have the misimpression that human persons can earnestly utter non-opinionated statements. (NB: by earnestly, i mean non-quotative, non-ironic indicative mooded utterances.)

i.e., even a purported assertion of fact includes the implication that the asserter has good enough grounds to make the purported assertion of fact. good enough grounds is an evaluative judgment--an opinion.

this is approximated by your repeated charge of baseless opinion, which would seem to lack the good enough grounds to substantiate a purported assertion of fact. that's fair enough.

what we might require from you (i requested this on the Old Board, but i don't recall if you responded) is a set of standards you find acceptable to find whether an author has engaged in hackery and/or selloutiness.

once you provide what you consider to be acceptable standards, we will endeavor in the evidence collection to meet the burden you impose. (NB: this formulation allows you to be both defense attorney and adjudicator in this dispute. wear that as a badge of honor.)

Archived