Lost season 6 thread

marwyn

Soo, since it's only a few days until the premiere I figured it was time to make this one.

Also because we actually have new material! The opening scene of the first episode is now online. It's only about 2 minutes of new material, but boy it's awesome. Watch at your own risk:

Can't wait!

Edit: Since the premiere has already aired (or is actually being aired right now) I suppose it isnt necessary to spoilerize anything anymore. (Except if you're going to post spoilers for future episodes, of course).

Read at your own peril ! ;)

I'm both excited and sad to see this show end this year. It's rare that a showlike this has the time to set up the right ending, but after it's done, I'll have nothing to watch on TV. What will I do with my free time? ;)

My biggest fear is that they will give worthless answer to so many of the questions. I'd rather them just leave some unanswered and let us speculate than dumb down the show in effort to wrap things up.

I have loved this show since the first time I saw a teaser of it on my lunch break at work back in the summer of 2004.

I cannot wait!

3 days left!

So very excited. That clip is sure to blow people's minds.

ETA: Jed, I wouldn't worry too much about that. In the last interview I read with Damon and Carlton, they seemed scared that people would get mad that not everything was answered - they summed it up as "If the characters care about it, we'll answer it, but if not, we won't."

I think Desmond is going to be the key to everything.

Spoiler speculation ahead? Don't know whether this deserves to be spoilered but I will just in case:

Will he still be on the island? Will there be a need to push the button or did the Losties create an Incident that negated the original Incident rather than just creating the original Incident?

No matter where Desmond is, since he's "special" I bet he will somehow remember the events of the past and begin working to correct them. Maybe that's why he had to go to the Island in the first place. Not to push the button or get his wacky time-seeing powers, but for him to just be there and meet all the people and gain the knowledge of the Island that he gained. He was given his happy ending with Penny and baby Charlie and now his mission is to get all the Losties back so they can play their parts in Jacob's plans.

Or not

It's hurting me so much, but I'm not watching that clip (and I'd please ask people who do watch it to spoiler font their discussion of it). The opening scene is usually amazing and mindblowing, and I'd prefer to watch it as part of the show.

And I am so excited. So so so excited.

I think Desmond is going to be the key to everything.

Spoiler speculation ahead? Don't know whether this deserves to be spoilered but I will just in case:

Will he still be on the island? Will there be a need to push the button or did the Losties create an Incident that negated the original Incident rather than just creating the original Incident?

No matter where Desmond is, since he's "special" I bet he will somehow remember the events of the past and begin working to correct them. Maybe that's why he had to go to the Island in the first place. Not to push the button or get his wacky time-seeing powers, but for him to just be there and meet all the people and gain the knowledge of the Island that he gained. He was given his happy ending with Penny and baby Charlie and now his mission is to get all the Losties back so they can play their parts in Jacob's plans.

Or not

Ser P,

Did you watch the clip? I want to respond to you, but I want to reference the clip. I won't spoil you if you didn't watch it.

Ser P,

Did you watch the clip? I want to respond to you, but I want to reference the clip. I won't spoil you if you didn't watch it.

While I'm not Ser P, I do have an interest in your thoughts.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Jack wasn't 2004 Jack or 1977 Jack but a mix of the two? Sort of like Desmond before he found his constant in that his thoughts were all over the place in time? It'd be interesting to see if everyone's was like that until they fixed it.

On a side note does anyone else find it really weird that they didn't change Jack's hair back to how it looked in Season 1?

While I'm not Ser P, I do have an interest in your thoughts.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Jack wasn't 2004 Jack or 1977 Jack but a mix of the two? Sort of like Desmond before he found his constant in that his thoughts were all over the place in time? It'd be interesting to see if everyone's was like that until they fixed it.

On a side note does anyone else find it really weird that they didn't change Jack's hair back to how it looked in Season 1?

Slurk,

I think it's an astute observation. I don't think it was either of those Jack's as well. I think it's more that Jack is experiencing deja vu. If he is the same Jack who was at the Swan site for the Incident and is transposed back on the plane, he has no memories of the Island - he would be freaking his freak if he realized his plan worked. That's not to say that he can't regain some knowledge somehow, but I just think that he's having the biggest deja vu of his life. That said, if it was the Jack of 2004, yes, he would look exactly like he did in the Pilot. But he doesn't. So what does that mean? I want to speak to your comment about his hair style. I want to say it's weird, but it may have an even weirder explanation. What if what we're seeing isn't a reset, but a stemming of the reality we have known this whole time?

I want to believe that the writers wouldn't destroy the last 5 seasons in one blast of a warhead. Everything we've seen the characters go through on the Island has to mean SOMETHING, right? I can't imagine this flight we're seeing is a total reset, if only because it would cancel out all the growth and development that we've seen over the past 5 years with these characters who we've grown to love and or hate.

The things I noticed were the little changes (I'm not a total freak, but I did just rewatch the pilot not that long ago): Cindy gave Jack 2 bottles on the original flight, on this one she gave him 1. Jack stands up before the major turbulence hits and goes and sits next to Rose, in this one, he stays put. Rose is the more shaky traveler on the original 815, Jack is the more shaky one on this flight. There's no Charlie running down the aisle. I'm sure there are other things I'm missing....

Anyway, my thoughts on Desmond are stemming out of my thoughts on seeing this clip. What if Desmond is the only one who knows that there is another "reality" for lack of a better word? He *is* special, and the island isn't done with him, as we've been told time and time again, so I have to believe that if there are 2 realities that we are watching, Desmond will be the only one with knowledge of them both. What he does with that knowledge, though - I can't wait to see.

I'd love to get a discussion going about this. I'm stoked for the premiere.

Slurk,

I think it's an astute observation. I don't think it was either of those Jack's as well. I think it's more that Jack is experiencing deja vu. If he is the same Jack who was at the Swan site for the Incident and is transposed back on the plane, he has no memories of the Island - he would be freaking his freak if he realized his plan worked. That's not to say that he can't regain some knowledge somehow, but I just think that he's having the biggest deja vu of his life. That said, if it was the Jack of 2004, yes, he would look exactly like he did in the Pilot. But he doesn't. So what does that mean? I want to speak to your comment about his hair style. I want to say it's weird, but it may have an even weirder explanation. What if what we're seeing isn't a reset, but a stemming of the reality we have known this whole time?

I want to believe that the writers wouldn't destroy the last 5 seasons in one blast of a warhead. Everything we've seen the characters go through on the Island has to mean SOMETHING, right? I can't imagine this flight we're seeing is a total reset, if only because it would cancel out all the growth and development that we've seen over the past 5 years with these characters who we've grown to love and or hate.

The things I noticed were the little changes (I'm not a total freak, but I did just rewatch the pilot not that long ago): Cindy gave Jack 2 bottles on the original flight, on this one she gave him 1. Jack stands up before the major turbulence hits and goes and sits next to Rose, in this one, he stays put. Rose is the more shaky traveler on the original 815, Jack is the more shaky one on this flight. There's no Charlie running down the aisle. I'm sure there are other things I'm missing....

Anyway, my thoughts on Desmond are stemming out of my thoughts on seeing this clip. What if Desmond is the only one who knows that there is another "reality" for lack of a better word? He *is* special, and the island isn't done with him, as we've been told time and time again, so I have to believe that if there are 2 realities that we are watching, Desmond will be the only one with knowledge of them both. What he does with that knowledge, though - I can't wait to see.

I'd love to get a discussion going about this. I'm stoked for the premiere.

Those are some interesting thoughts, Mya.

There isn't enought there for me there though. I want more before I comment...

Maya,

Some interesting thoughts there. I definitely think that the Jack in the two minute bit is far more 1977 Jack than 2004 Jack and not just the hair. Not sure why I think this, maybe just the way he is acting and his ticks and such. He seems a lot more in control and that is definitely all from Season 5. I'd disagree with you as well, I don't think he'd be jumping for joy as he's a calmer more focused character now. (He might jump for joy if he sees Kate though hehe)

And I agree with paragraph 2, there is no way the writers will do a full reboot. There is too much stuff hanging like Jin and Sun that aren't minor bits like Walt and Libby that need to be resolved.

I'd have to somewhat disagree with your Desmond thoughts though. I don't think he's be the only one who knows about the alternates, I just think like in the past of the show, he's the only one who can actively change things without setting off a nuke.

And you better believe I'm stoked for the premiere. I'm counting down to 9:45 est on Tuesday already. (9:45 because that gives enough fast forward commercial time to never have to watch those on the DVR)

Maya,

Some interesting thoughts there. I definitely think that the Jack in the two minute bit is far more 1977 Jack than 2004 Jack and not just the hair. Not sure why I think this, maybe just the way he is acting and his ticks and such. He seems a lot more in control and that is definitely all from Season 5. I'd disagree with you as well, I don't think he'd be jumping for joy as he's a calmer more focused character now. (He might jump for joy if he sees Kate though hehe)

And I agree with paragraph 2, there is no way the writers will do a full reboot. There is too much stuff hanging like Jin and Sun that aren't minor bits like Walt and Libby that need to be resolved.

I'd have to somewhat disagree with your Desmond thoughts though. I don't think he's be the only one who knows about the alternates, I just think like in the past of the show, he's the only one who can actively change things without setting off a nuke.

And you better believe I'm stoked for the premiere. I'm counting down to 9:45 est on Tuesday already. (9:45 because that gives enough fast forward commercial time to never have to watch those on the DVR)

I can't believe you'd wait a full 45 minutes after the show starts. That's some inner strength there, Slurk. :)

As far as Jack goes, I see what you're saying - but I still think that this is a Jack that we haven't been introduced to yet. And on Desmond, I understand why you disagree; I just tend to put more stock into Desmond than maybe I should. :P If he isn't the only one aware of the two different realities, I really do think that he'll be the first one to "wake up" in this second reality and realize he's not in Kansas anymore.

I can't believe you'd wait a full 45 minutes after the show starts. That's some inner strength there, Slurk. :)

As far as Jack goes, I see what you're saying - but I still think that this is a Jack that we haven't been introduced to yet. And on Desmond, I understand why you disagree; I just tend to put more stock into Desmond than maybe I should. :P If he isn't the only one aware of the two different realities, I really do think that he'll be the first one to "wake up" in this second reality and realize he's not in Kansas anymore.

As I understand it, the alternate reality will replace the flashbacks and flashforwards. Flashsidewards, if you will. As for the fact that their hair is different, I think their excuse for that is because this reality is different, there will be some other minor differences as well. We'll find out about that in LA X... But I think what happened to the characters before they got on Oceanic 815 is also slightly different - they are different persons than in Oceanic-crashes-on-island reality. Could that mean that the alt doesn't have anything to do with Jughead, but that is was Jacob who somehow caused this alternate reality? Jughead was only supposed to change everything AFTER Oceanic 815 took off. It doesn't make sense that the Losties lives would be different as well as a result of Jughead exploding. And I cant see how the 1977 crew would survive if Jughead actually has exploded.

As I understand it, the alternate reality will replace the flashbacks and flashforwards. Flashsidewards, if you will. As for the fact that their hair is different, I think their excuse for that is because this reality is different, there will be some other minor differences as well. We'll find out about that in LA X... But I think what happened to the characters before they got on Oceanic 815 is also slightly different - they are different persons than in Oceanic-crashes-on-island reality. Could that mean that the alt doesn't have anything to do with Jughead, but that is was Jacob who somehow caused this alternate reality? Jughead was only supposed to change everything AFTER Oceanic 815 took off. It doesn't make sense that the Losties lives would be different as well as a result of Jughead exploding. And I cant see how the 1977 crew would survive if Jughead actually has exploded.

Since the Incident happened in 1977, wouldn't it mean that the new reality stemmed from that point in time on? From the interviews I read with D and C, they are adamant that Jughead goes off - but I have a feeling that with the high EM in that area it didn't explode like we expected it to.

Since the Incident happened in 1977, wouldn't it mean that the new reality stemmed from that point in time on? From the interviews I read with D and C, they are adamant that Jughead goes off - but I have a feeling that with the high EM in that area it didn't explode like we expected it to.

True. The timeline would be altered from 1977 on. But I can't see how that would alter the lives of the Losties, except for the fact that they would not crash.

You could make a case for some kind of butterfly effect - even the smallest change can make an impact, given enough time - but I have a feeling that there's something else at work here. Or maybe there's not, with Lost you never know :P

Is it, physically, possible that the EM energy and the explosion of Jughead somehow negate eachother? It seems kind of weird to me, and I expect that Daniel Faraday would have known that. But instead, he's trying to get everyone off the island.

I'm getting very confused... Just read the newly-created wikipedia page for LA X.

On one hand, we have this quote from Damon Lindelof:

"Confronted that the bomb detonating, forcing a timeline reset would render the past five seasons pointless, Damon Lindelof responded with "Trust us." While producing the fourth season, Lindelof said, "We want people to believe in the stakes of the show. The problem with alternative realities is that you never know when the rug is going to be pulled out from under you. We want the audience to believe that the jeopardy is real. Postulating alternative realities would be an escape valve that would be damaging that as a narrative value … Carlton and I are PRO time-space continuum bending! But we're ANTI-paradox. Paradox creates issues."

Okay, they might have changed their minds in the meanwhile. But on the other hand..

"According to Lindelof, who is apprehensive that the audience will not understand or reject it, "the show demands constant shifts to best tell the story. We've known what we were going to do for a couple years now and there's been a tremendous amount of work setting up the premise so it would work."

So they were anti- alternate realities, BUT they have also been planning the season 6 premise for a long time.

It does seem like there's something special about this alt reality..

Archived