Justified

Patrick Mallister

i hope they don't kill off boyd... he's way too entertaining... tonight was a big ol' boyd party. if they made a boyd and winn duffy spin-off i'd watch it.

Loved that episode. Gonna watch it again.. every character and story arc had a hold on me.

And yah -- my money's on Shelby.

yeah this was an excellent episode on all fronts... the arlo opening and how it played out was fantastic

Yeah, Shelby is Drew Thompson, or they at least want us to really suspect he is at this point. Looks like we might be headed for a Colt vs Tim showdown as well.

And my prediction is that Ava is the one on the chopping block. The foreshadowing has been more subtle than it has with Boyd or Art, but I think it's there. Plus, her death would have an impact on both Raylan and Boyd, without sacrificing the guy who has basically become the co-lead at this point. It would also leave Boyd completely isolated by the end of the season (there's no way Colt or Cousin Johnny survive to season 5), which would be interesting.

And my prediction is that Ava is the one on the chopping block. The foreshadowing has been more subtle than it has with Boyd or Art, but I think it's there. Plus, her death would have an impact on both Raylan and Boyd, without sacrificing the guy who has basically become the co-lead at this point. It would also leave Boyd completely isolated by the end of the season (there's no way Colt or Cousin Johnny survive to season 5), which would be interesting.

I too think Ava will be for it by the season end, and Boyd will be working for Theo Tonin. Johnny will probably die too, and Colt will be arrested. Boyd will need some new henchmen, I wonder when Dewey Crowe gets out. Duffy will survive by the skin of his teeth as always.

Wondering if Limehouse will show up at some point this season.

And yeah Shelby has to be Drew Thompson.

Boyd's power play on the rich dudes was great.

That's a really good spitball - it makes perfect sense to me. What I'm curious about, then, is the Boyd/Duffy dynamic, because after last night, there's no way they can ever live with each other. If Ava gets it, I'm betting the only way he would stay with the Tonins is if he killed Duffy.

I was convinced that Boyd had recorded the rich guy incriminating himself like crazy, and protecting himself by not technically being guilty of the murder (especially with the actual murderer dead by Raylan's hands).

That's a really good spitball - it makes perfect sense to me. What I'm curious about, then, is the Boyd/Duffy dynamic, because after last night, there's no way they can ever live with each other. If Ava gets it, I'm betting the only way he would stay with the Tonins is if he killed Duffy.

I'm betting Duffy survives Boyd's wrath by pinning everything on Johnny.

I'm betting Duffy survives Boyd's wrath by pinning everything on Johnny.

I know - I've been wondering wtf Johnny's been up to trying to serve up Boyd. No way in hell he gets the best of his cousin, and when Boyd finds out what he's been up to, the only card he'll have to play is Colt lying about Ella Mae. And even then Boyd is gonna be pissed Johnny didn't tell him right off the bat. That 20 grand won't get him anywhere. You'd think Johnny would have learned about going behind the bosses back - last time he tried it he got a point blank shotgun blast to the chest.

And Boyd is going to find out about Johnny betraying him as soon as he's able to give Theo Tonin anything -- Detroit will tip him off to Johnny.

Also, it was pretty funny seeing Mike O'Malley as a Detroit gangster tough talking Boyd.

Yeah, either Shelby is Drew or they want us to think that way.

I'm thinking either Johnny or Duffy bites it at the end of the season, possibly both. Colt dies too.

Boyd's play on the Harlan County Illuminati was fantastic. And this episode's gotta win Walton Goggins an Emmy.

I'm thinking next season will start with Boyd being Tonin's main operative in Kentucky, but then stuff will happen and they will be in conflict.

Of course, Boyd becoming a state-wide player also gives more reason to clash with Raylan.

The problem with the scenario where Boyd works for Tonin is that his entire stated motivation for this season is retiring to give his children the kind of future he and Ava never had a chance at. He can't do that if he works for Theo Tonin - I think he's planning some sort of double-cross, which seems suicidal to me.

It might work if he uses Raylan to get him into witness protection, giving him the new life he seems to really want. Ava spent a lot of time in S1 talking about wanting to leave Kentucky. New, federally-protected identities plus a giant pile of secret cash seems to be a tempting escape for him. It's doubly effective if Drew Thompson himself gets caught by the feds and testifies against Theo Tonin, reducing his threat.

It won't happen, of course, but that seems like a reasonable plan at the outset.

Now that I've had some time to think about it, my favorite part of this episode is that

yeah this was an excellent episode on all fronts... the arlo opening and how it played out was fantastic

this was the only remark about the offhand death of a major character.

Also, I wasn't 100% behind it before, but yeah Walt Goggins should be nominated for an Emmy (even though I could not care less about the Emmys). Maybe Timothy Olyphant too.

And for the story and dialogue this episode, I really want to buy the writers a beer. I didn't care for Drew Thompson for the first 3 episodes, but now I'm completely hooked onto this season.

I didn't think we'd see Theo Tonin this season but with 5 episodes left, I don't see how we avoid him.

I am so pleased I started watching this show. Wonderful stuff. Arlo's death was just ... I don't know. Amazing, really. When you've been trained by too many "dramatic" shows to assume that, nah, somehow it's a lie -- someone paid off someone to fake his death and smuggle him out in a body bag -- and then you see, nope, there he is, dead as dead can be? Wonderful. They underplayed that one beautifully.

It's criminal how it doesn't get as much awards attention as it should. It's one of the best written TV series around.

I am so pleased I started watching this show. Wonderful stuff. Arlo's death was just ... I don't know. Amazing, really. When you've been trained by too many "dramatic" shows to assume that, nah, somehow it's a lie -- someone paid off someone to fake his death and smuggle him out in a body bag -- and then you see, nope, there he is, dead as dead can be? Wonderful. They underplayed that one beautifully.

It's criminal how it doesn't get as much awards attention as it should. It's one of the best written TV series around.

I thought that Raylan's last visit to his father was one of the most well written, compelling scenes I've experienced. There was that moment after Raylan tried to get a deathbed confession, his last attempt to have some type of reconciliation with the idea of Arlo being his father. Arlo says "kiss my ass" and Raylan pauses then tenderly touches his father. It was so well done I totally believed that moment where Raylan accepted his father and gave him that last touch.

No doubt that Goggins is an incredible presence on screen but Olyphant does an equally good job portraying Raylan. It really has developed into a fantastic show that is deeper than it first looks.

Archived