Footie 17

Mme Erzulie

I'm not sure why someone who insulted American tourists the day after 9-11, was charged for assault in a nightclub, took money for showing people around Chelsea football club and parks in disabled spaces still requires to be caught having an affair to lose the captain's armband.

Because none of those things had to do with what happens on the pitch. This was a teammates girlfriend. It's alot different from those things.

Why do sky sports news only interview absolute bog trotters whenever a club signs a big player. just seen some of the most deformed, backward and illiterate celtic fans. do they go to a special school and drag them out, give them a scarf and blacken their teeth before they interview them?

Couldn't give a toss.

All I do care about is how the player acts with the fans in the meantime. Hopefully it won't go like our previous high stature loan signing...I don't want to hear words about him wanting to stay with the club, and then his lies being exposed, aka Craig Bellamy (the cunt) when he gets offered a deal, yet walks on. You either want to commit your future to the club, or you don't. Can't stand bullshitters.

I think you're liable to be disappointed. At the wages Keane is getting, there's no way he'll stay at Celtic. But at the same time, there's no way he'll rule it out in the meantime, because that would be a bad PR move. Who's going to buy a Keane shirt if he's said he's only here for two minutes? So I'm afraid you're likely to see a lot of 'oh, I would love to stay, it's so wonderful here' blather before he ultimately pisses off back to England.

There is a reason he's captain of Chelsea ahead of Lampard.

Wait, I know this one... it's because Lampard would make an awful captain? :P

There is a reason why he is the captain in the first place, he is obviously the best leader that England have.

That's not saying much, mind. As you say, what alternatives are there?

I guess it must be old fashioned to expect the captain that represents his country to have at least a basic level of integrity then.....

See above about alternatives. Who, in the current England squad, can claim a 'basic level of integrity'? Which of them has not been caught cheating on his partner, cheating on the pitch, engineering a move behind their club's back, committing acts of violence on or off the field, misbehaving in a nightclub, speeding, 'forgetting' a mandatory drugs test, or (memorably) shoplifting a toilet seat?

See above about alternatives. Who, in the current England squad, can claim a 'basic level of integrity'? Which of them has not been caught cheating on his partner, cheating on the pitch, engineering a move behind their club's back, committing acts of violence on or off the field, misbehaving in a nightclub, speeding, 'forgetting' a mandatory drugs test, or (memorably) shoplifting a toilet seat?

I was going to way that not all of them are like that, then i began thinking about probably guaranteed starters Terry, Rio, Cashley, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Defoe. all have had run ins with the press for a variety of issues so you are probably correct. there are some decent players out there, unfortunately non of them are guaranteed a start so that pretty much excludes them from the captaincy.

I think he falls under "engineering a move behind his club's back" doesn't he?

More importantly, is he really a guaranteed starter?

ETA: One of the guardian bloggers reckons Rooney is the stand-out candidate and ponders on how things have changed in this regard http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/feb/02/john-terry-wayne-rooney-england-fabio-capello

Don't know if people are ready to have Rooney as captain yet. I don't think it was that long ago that the story was that he was petulant and once he goes into a poor run of form, I can see that re-emerging along with frustration.

I do think the article has a point about how he conducts himself in interviews, but I'm not seeing it apart from that.

I think the main problem is that the player group might not have the respect they should have for him. If that is the case, there is no point in having him as the Captain -- unless y'all view it as a completely figurehead position. Best person to gauge what the lockerr oom feels is Capello. Media, Minister of Sports, FA, and everyone else, should leave it to him.

Also, the Team Bridge jerseys that City had was just completely ridiculous.

I guess it must be old fashioned to expect the captain that represents his country to have at least a basic level of integrity then.....

Given that the country we're talking about is England, how would you expect to find someone with integrity? I thought that went out of fashion decades ago.

Heh, Gerrard punched a guy (a douchebag! He wouldn't play Phil Collins!) in a night club. I very much doubt his teammates think less of him for that. Knowing footballers, it's probably the opposite. He still tends to pout and just look miserable when things are not going well, though. But apart from that, I think Gerrard should be given the captaincy. (Not hugely surprising, you might say)

And I've got a bet with a mate that Rooney will get sent off again this season. He is convinced Rooney has "grown up" and does now no longer have a temper. I, not so much.

And Natalie Sawyer is ridiculously hot.

Given that the country we're talking about is England, how would you expect to find someone with integrity? I thought that went out of fashion decades ago.

Labour politicians continue to try and tell us differently.

Why do sky sports news only interview absolute bog trotters whenever a club signs a big player. just seen some of the most deformed, backward and illiterate celtic fans. do they go to a special school and drag them out, give them a scarf and blacken their teeth before they interview them?

Celtic are located in the east end of Glasgow. That's the type of people that live there.

Heh, Gerrard punched a guy (a douchebag! He wouldn't play Phil Collins!) in a night club. I very much doubt his teammates think less of him for that. Knowing footballers, it's probably the opposite.

As you all can pretty much figure (as I'm posting on this nerd board) I'm not a huge fighter, but even I have been in a few scuffs at bar while drunk. No doubt Gerrard was to blame for that, but we, the spectators have a throbbing hard on for any story where there is a chance of anyone falling from grace. If not, none of the tabloids would be doing as well as they are doing. We love that shit, gobble it up and ask for seconds, even if we're no better ourselves.

In essence, what I'm saying is this: Drunken brawl over a Collins song or two, who the heck cares? Not me. Anyone that feels this is an issue for the England squad either, a) hates Gerrard (and quite possibly Liverpool) beyond all reason or, b) is a huge hypocrite. To compare the two on a moral standpoint is baffeling.

In Terry's case, it's not that he is supposed to have cheated on his wife that's the problem when it comes to him being Captain or not, even though cheating is pretty messed up. If it had been some random girl, nobody should have anything to say, because it's his personal life, and we'd only know about it because, we, pay the tabloids to have "journalists" following these guys around 24/7. Who is worse? The cheater, or the peeping Toms?

It's that he mixed personal life and work that's the issue - something that 'forces the group to pick a side', and could side track the focus of the group - which is to win the WC.

In essence, what I'm saying is this: Drunken brawl over a Collins song or two, who the heck cares? Not me. Anyone that feels this is an issue for the England squad either, a) hates Gerrard (and quite possibly Liverpool) beyond all reason or, B) is a huge hypocrite. To compare the two on a moral standpoint is baffeling.

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to explain that one to me.

I don't really have an issue with Gerrard getting the England captaincy, but how is someone who thinks that he shouldn't because of his past behaviour a huge hypocrite?

And what two things are you criticising people for comparing?

Sorry, a badly edited post. :s

Comparing the Terry and Gerrard cases.

And hypocrite might be a little harsh, but seriously, hasn't everyone at done something stupid while drunk? Not an excuse, but saying that people should be ineligible to be captain of England because you got drunk once and punched someone? That is plain ridiculous to me (and I'm one of those Liverpool hating United fans).

If stuff like that was the norm for Gerrard, then it's a whole different situation, but that's not the case. It's a one off, everyone is entitled to that.

In the case of Gerrard, I think a bigger obstacle to him getting the captaincy is that he is (with all respect to the 'Pool fans, who've seen him play more than I have) an awful captain. As Erzulie says, just when you need a captain to motivate the team, that's when Gerrard starts scowling and going in the huff. Reminds me of Barry Ferguson 'captaining' Rangers/Scotland, he was bloody awful at the job too.

And hypocrite might be a little harsh, but seriously, hasn't everyone at done something stupid while drunk? Not an excuse, but saying that people should be ineligible to be captain of England because you got drunk once and punched someone? That is plain ridiculous to me (and I'm one of those Liverpool hating United fans).

I'd say that it's more than a little harsh.

I can't say that I haven't done something stupid while drunk, but I can say that I've never hit anyone or been in a physical fight while drunk and I know precious few of the people that I respect in real life who have either.

And any stupid things I have done while drunk are not excused by the fact that I was drunk when I did them.

I, personally, am not going to hold Gerrard to that standard (again, I don't know what happened in the incident mentioned), but I don't think it's unreasonable that some people expect that.

You're also forgetting that the captain of the English national Football team is seen as a role model. And picking someone for that position who is known to have exhibited bad behaviour can be seen as condoning that behaviour.

out of the current england squad, so that is probably about 30 people who are in with a chance of going to SA how many can you honestly say seem to be decent people? i can only think of the keepers, James is a tart but doesnt seem like a bad human being (white suit apart), carrick, heskey, young, I,m struggling here, erm Bridge, barry and lescott fall into the engineering a move category, beckham fucked a pig wanker, anyone else? help!if we can find 10 that we all agree on then i'll be very surprised.

Rooney. He used to be a dickhead but he's right mellowed now. Wouldn't make him captain though.

on the pitch i agree, however the sort of man that fucks a £60 granny and gets caught on camera does not fill me with a sense of confidence or pride.

Archived