The Wire

jurble

For the poor as a group, prison is not itself a horrible terrifying outcome. It's both something familiar and, frankly, something not all that bad (ie - free room and board).

Wow.

You finish season 1? The last four episodes have a LOT of punch to them.

I loved how Wee Bey was totally accepting of going to jail for life, he knew that and the morgue were the only places his life could take him.

PS, isn't this a spoiler thread? Just one page back we have an extended discussion of season 5.

I assume it is. I am mostly making fun of myself for being too nosy and popping in here once in a while. I have one episode left to season 1. I thought the scene where Ralls (spelling?) is talking to McNaulty after Greggs gets shot was spectacular.

I assume it is. I am mostly making fun of myself for being too nosy and popping in here once in a while. I have one episode left to season 1. I thought the scene where Ralls (spelling?) is talking to McNaulty after Greggs gets shot was spectacular.

Dominic West's greatest moment. As I type this I have it on and he's amazing.

• 1 month later...

So, this show never ceases to amaze me with its attention to detail. I've literally lost count of the number of times I've watched through it and there are still little details to catch.

Consider This clip, which compiles a few of the scenes depicting Wee-bay's prison troubles. An eagle-eyed youtube commenter pointed out that at 2:46 in the video, in a seemingly random establishing shot, walking through the frame is the guy that would eventually kill D'angelo.

Never ceases to amaze.

I always thought Stringer was the strongest character. He sees the road that the Game will lead to, takes classes at the local community college, tries to better himself, sets up everything while Avon is gone so that the Game cant touch them anymore, and still cant escape.

DeAngelo is a great character. He is smart enough to keep up appearances, but he's really not cut out for the ruthlessness of The Game. And his whole arc is season 1 is incredibly well done.

But if we were picking favorite Wire characters, it's virtually impossible to pick anyone out. Daniels, Avon, Omar, Stringer, and Greggs are all so good. I'm a Bubbles fan, myself.

Did anyone else think that the black actors were generally stronger than the white ones on this show? Not that McNulty/Herc/Pearlman/Carcetti aren't good, but they mostly don't shine on this show.

I too agree that the strongest performances on the show all came from black actors. The only white actor whose performance really stood out to me was Chris Bauer as Frank Sobotka. West and Gillen were good, but they never really blew it away like so many of the black actors did.

And my fav character? Um, lets see here... gotta pick from Bubbles, Bodie, Lester Freeman, THE BUNK!!!, and of course, the ever cool ass Stinger MuthaFuckin Bell. Guess I can't pick one.

DeAngelo is a great character. He is smart enough to keep up appearances, but he's really not cut out for the ruthlessness of The Game. And his whole arc is season 1 is incredibly well done.

DeAngelo is interesting. He just has too much...self-awareness I guess. Just like Daniels. Others can go around beating fiends and backstabbing up the ladder without a thought to the people they're hurting but both Deangelo and Daniels just can't seem to take to it easily. Dee is better than Daniels in that sense, he does what he has to do, but he just can't be happy about it.

But my favorite moment of his journey was with him at the restaurant and how awkward he feels about the whole thing,especially since it's echoed later on in Season Four with the kids.Ironically, he's more comfortable in the world he hates than the one he wants to escape to.

And my fav character? Um, lets see here... gotta pick from Bubbles, Bodie, Lester Freeman, THE BUNK!!!, and of course, the ever cool ass Stinger MuthaFuckin Bell. Guess I can't pick one.

i just participated in a poll and i ended up choosing bunny. on any given day it might be him, dangelo, avon, or boadie. sometimes i think it might be slim charles. but most often its colvin.

I find it impossible to choose a favourite. I mean, I can probably narrow it down to Prop Joe, Omar and Bunk. Bodie and Slim Charles are up there too. But there are very few characters that don't interest me on The Wire, and they are usually very minor ones.

I actually thought all three of the Sobotka characters were great. Nicky Sobotka's arc sums up the stuff about the ubiquity of the drug trade, the temptations of the easy money, the lack of alternatives, the personal cost of getting into the trade and the problems of getting out again from a totally different angle than, say, D'Angelo or Stringer or Bodie. And Pablo Schreiber is pretty damn good. He gets less loud stuff to do than James Ransone as Ziggy, but he does it well. Series 2 gets some bad press, but I think it's essential to the overall impact of The Wire.

Favourite characters: damn, that's hard. Prop Joe, maybe. Marlo is simply an awesome character. Ruthless and complex and beautifully acted. Avon, too. So many terrific scenes with that guy. Fewer candidates on the 'cop' side: Landsman, Carver, Colvin, all of these are good, but Kima is probably my favourite.

I find it impossible to choose a favourite. I mean, I can probably narrow it down to Prop Joe, Omar and Bunk. Bodie and Slim Charles are up there too. But there are very few characters that don't interest me on The Wire, and they are usually very minor ones.

I'm a Proposition Joe fan.

I remember a scene where Omar goes to terrorize him in his shop, but brought a clock with him to get fixed. Joe actually gives him a ticket, and fixes the clock! It's just icing on the cake later on when Omar comes back later on with the ticket, and pays for the clock.

Prop Joe and Omar are awesome characters (and Omar is so brilliantly portrayed as well), bu then, this show has some of the greatest characters of all time I'd say.

I'm doing a slow rewatch, and about halfway through season 2, and Bubbles is really great the second time through. He just tries so hard, and is in many respects the moral center of the show, because junkies like him are why we continue to endure the drug war. When he falls off the wagon again at the end of season 1, and tells McNulty not to tell Keema, it's heartbreaking.

Archived