CHESTER 2010 - 30th April to 2nd May

Ser Sean

It's looking a bit too expensive for me, so close to coming back from a conference so you should probably count me out. I'll spare you the rant about how travel in this country makes it cheaper to fly to places, carbon fooprint be damned. It doesn't look like you need to know who's going in terms of organisation anymore, so hopefully I can still come along if circumstances change bewteen now and then.

Please feel free to take pictures of you not taking pictures for Tomfoster though :)

Booo.

Precisely - where is our incentive to holiday in the UK when travel is so feckin expensive? :angry:

I'm convinced it is a complete myth how a holiday in the UK is cheaper than one abroad. Maybe if you have a car but even then it's marginal. It's hardly encouraging being green when the cheapest mode of transport is a car. Bicycles are ok but not that convenient - especially for lazy bastards!

I'm convinced it is a complete myth how a holiday in the UK is cheaper than one abroad.
It's definitely a myth. And it's twice as bad if you actually want to go on holiday in the summer!

ps - just found out my viva is on Thursday 25th March (a day later), but it's definitely in the morning. Phew.

It looks like I'll be about a week late for this Chester get together... Damn. So close.

I will be in London for about two weeks, though. Once we have firm dates/bought tickets, I'll start a thread for a possible night out in London. :)

Can I reserve that Sofa MG? I will confirm by Monday. (have to check Hubbies race dates and things)

Although I will not arrive until late sat PM (I'm on night shift on friday and don't really have the extra holiday to book off) I will also be driving (if someone wants to drive me there and don't mind me sleeping I can leave on Sat Morning) so will have space in the car for others if wanted.

I am sorry to say that I can no longer go. my MIL has moved her birthday plans to this week. (her birthday is the week after and I checked with her before) :headbang:

This means there is my space on the couch is now available. MG if you don't find a replacement let me know and I will still pay my share - someone may allready have made alternative arrangements.

No worries Pebble, sorry you won't be able to make it.

I have not booked yet but I do want to get things sorted out this week so if anyone else wants the opportunity to sleep on a comfortable sofa in a converted loft lounge/cinema room speak now or miss out :)

Aww - sorry it hasn't worked out for you Pebs :(

Sofa...hmm...

Temptation...

OK, I'll take it if it's still going... :D

That will keep the trip under £100 for me so I have no excuse not to come.

ETA: Let me know if that's OK and when you have booked it, so I can book my coach ticket. Mentat can't make the Chester meet, but he's hoping he might get to Octocon (which I probably can't make).

OK the villa is booked!

I have paid a £102 deposit to secure the booking.

When we get there I will have to put down a £200 damages deposit which will be refunded to me if we make it through the weekend without trashing the place.

I also picked up my train tickets from the station at lunchtime so it looks like I am all set :)

Seany, your inbox is full, damn you. :rolleyes:

I'm getting excited now that I've sorted accommodation. I miss the NW :frown5: - looking forward to hearing 'proper' accents again.

So, does anybody have thoughts about stuff they desperately feel the need to do in Chester? I do actually really want to go to the zoo there. If a few others are up for that we could do that Saturday day time. If less people are interested I'll go by myself on the Sunday - I want to chat up the non-human primate keepers for material anyway. :)

So, does anybody have thoughts about stuff they desperately feel the need to do in Chester? I do actually really want to go to the zoo there. If a few others are up for that we could do that Saturday day time. If less people are interested I'll go by myself on the Sunday - I want to chat up the non-human primate keepers for material anyway. smile.gif

I definitely want to go to the zoo and Saturday is fine and dandy with me.

Who is up for a BWB invasion of Chester Zoo on the Saturday?

Forgot to mention that I'm trying to arrange a venue for a BWB only get together on the Sat night. Basically looking for a room or a reserved area where we can have some food and drink and a good chat without having to suffer a crowded noisy bar.

Isis is looking into entertainment for the evening.

Yay Soph!

Just promise you won't try to burn down the place with your apple crumble this time :lol:

:blushing:

You don't want me to cook any puddings then? ;)

OK the villa is booked!

Yay! Thanks so much. (wow you are organised for ...you :P )

So I booked cheap train tickets while they were there. Will be arriving in Chester about 1 pm on Fri 30 Apr and leaving at 11.30 am on Mon 3 May.

I found some cheap(er) rail tickets had appeared from last time I had looked, and although I will still have to take three trains (changing at Newcastle and Manchester), I am paying only £8 more than the coach and shaving two hours off the travel time (plus more flexibility in arrival/departure times means more time to be with the BwB).

Arriving in Chester at 2.45pm on the Friday, leaving at 11.50am on the Monday.

Will bring sleeping bag.

Do you need any money from us now?

*echoes question* If so, PM your address to me and I will send quids.

So, does anybody have thoughts about stuff they desperately feel the need to do in Chester? I do actually really want to go to the zoo there. If a few others are up for that we could do that Saturday day time. If less people are interested I'll go by myself on the Sunday - I want to chat up the non-human primate keepers for material anyway. :)

I like the look of everything on Eloisa's list below (including the zoo). I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing at least some ancient edifices.

A few things Wikipedia says we could do:

• Chester Zoo
  • Cathedral
  • Castle
  • City walls and unusual buildings built into them
  • Roman remains

Forgot to mention that I'm trying to arrange a venue for a BWB only get together on the Sat night. Basically looking for a room or a reserved area where we can have some food and drink and a good chat without having to suffer a crowded noisy bar.

Isis is looking into entertainment for the evening.

Oh, great work! :)

Please no karaoke... *mutters furtively knowing she is a minority curmugeon on this*

Archived