NFL the offseason

AndyP

I'll gladly argue overtime rules next year. I'm sure there will be plenty of overtime games.

In the meantime things are heating up with Mcnabb. The Raiders? The Bills? Does he get traded to Oakland and reunite with T.O? ESPN and talk show hosts every where can only dream.

Considering what seems to happen to Jamarcus Russell's replacements (Gradkowski and Frye both going down to injuries, putting Russell back in the start position), McNabb would have to be careful. Not that I think he's likely to go there.

I took the Wunderlicht test today, and I am pleased to report that I have sufficient score to be an NFL quarterback. I'm wayyy smarter than both Tim Tebow and Brett Favre.

It's just the athletic ability I lack. :P

THREAD RESURRECTION!

It looks like the "Will the Eagles trade McNabb to the Raiders?" issue is heating up some more, and might actually be in the cards:

ESPN

Even for Philadelphia Eagles fans who've been yearning for the end of the Donovan McNabb era, surely they hoped he'd find a better landing spot than Oakland. But according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday, the Raiders have become the leading candidate to pull off a trade with the Eagles.

The Associated Press reported last week that Philadelphia wanted a pick in the top 42 in exchange for McNabb. And the Raiders just happen to have the No. 39 overall pick in next month's draft. I'd thought the sticking point in any negotiation with a bad team such as the Raiders or Bills would be whether McNabb was willing to sign a contract extension. But the Raiders are prepared to take on the final year of McNabb's contract (2010) without an extension in place, according to Schefter's report. For a team that doesn't exactly have a wonderful supporting cast, it seems unfathomable to pay McNabb $11.2 million for one season of service.

Schefter points out that Raiders owner Al Davis and McNabb each attended Syracuse and that offensive coordinator Hue Jackson is a distant cousin of the quarterback's. But something tells me that a reunion with Davis and Jackson, while quaint, isn't exactly what McNabb had in mind this offseason.

So what recourse does McNabb have to prevent this trade from going through? Well, he could start by appealing to Andy Reid's sense of decency. After all the NFC title games and the one Super Bowl appearance, surely McNabb deserves better than this.

Or maybe, as Schefter's report suggests, this is all about business. Maybe the Eagles want to execute the trade before someone in the Raiders' organization realizes how ridiculous it sounds. Do they think McNabb will enjoy his experience so much that he'll automatically want to sign a long-term extension following the 2010 season?

Perhaps the Eagles can convince the Raiders to include JaMarcus Russell as a defensive line prospect. Some of us thought the Eagles had painted themselves into a corner regarding a McNabb trade, but it looks like Al Davis is prepared to offer a bailout plan.

If it's true, the Raiders must be truly desperate to find a replacement for Jamarcus Russell. At this point, though, he might be jinxed - the last two replacements for Russell both went down in injuries fairly quickly, putting Russell back in the game.

But the Raiders are prepared to take on the final year of McNabb's contract (2010) without an extension in place, according to Schefter's report. For a team that doesn't exactly have a wonderful supporting cast, it seems unfathomable to pay McNabb $11.2 million for one season of service.

:uhoh:

I wonder how many NFL GMs give Al a call and cream themselves with what he offers. The NFL needs to Ted Stepien his ass.

What I don't get is why the Vikings aren't leaping at the chance to get McNabb. They could skip the whole Favre returning/not returning BS and just sign a legitimate quarterback, one that would probably do very well with Childress and a running game.

What I don't get is why the Vikings aren't leaping at the chance to get McNabb. They could skip the whole Favre returning/not returning BS and just sign a legitimate quarterback, one that would probably do very well with Childress and a running game.

Misplaced loyalty? I dunno but part of me would love nothing better than to see McNabb exiled to Oakland and Favre play will he/won't he all off-season with the Vikings.

Then again, McNabb does seem like a pretty good guy who has taken a TON of abuse in Philadelphia he has mostly not deserved.

For starters, along with the "Killer Whale Trainer Killed by Killer Whale" and the "Ricky Martin is Actually, Officially Gay" stories, "Raiders Court Donovan McNabb" seems to be one of the most "Who-Didn't-See-This-One-Coming" headlines of 2010. I could have set my watch by it. The Crypt Keeper likes QBs who can throw deep and veteran talent he can over-pay. McNabb is officially available and meets those criteria. Its a match made in hell; a deal that could actually make both teams worse.

And make Donovan McNabb hate his life. We all lose if this deal goes off.

And I know this sounds strange, but I don't think the Eagles will do that to McNabb. Who would ever knowingly do that to another player: Trade them to Oakland? That is just cold.

Ah, the Favre curse once again rears its ugly head. The issue here is that Favre has bewitched the Vikings! He had an (no sarcasm here) astounding 2009 Regular Season. He was a freak. The guy was everything the Vikes wanted in a Regular Season QB and less (as in "far less INTs"). Yeah he threw it all away and into the arms of a NO DB, but that's not important right now. The Vikes look at Favre and forget that 1) he's exceptionally old, 2) that he could implode at any moment, 3) that he, you know, blew it in the biggest game of the year, and 4) that he is all about himself and wants all the attention on him and his "struggle" to decide whether to retire or "just have fun out there."

So the Vikings don't see the old man, the fantastic ability to find the INT, the "me first" attitude, and the remarkable ability for such an old guy to play so ... young (*cough*PEDs*cough*). No. They see their starting QB. And part of that is not pissing of "His Favre-ness" with attracting other competent QBs. Why make Favre upset at them? They want a happy and (semi) healthy "gunslinger" come August.

And make Donovan McNabb hate his life. We all lose if this deal goes off.

Hey, at least McNabb will be able to go into San Francisco for fun when he's not wasting away his productive time.

Or perhaps not. I've been hearing some funny comments from Raiders fans elsewhere about how McNabb could be just the thing that makes them into a playoff team.

No. They see their starting QB. And part of that is not pissing of "His Favre-ness" with attracting other competent QBs. Why make Favre upset at them? They want a happy and (semi) healthy "gunslinger" come August.

That's . . . sad. How do they expect Tarvaris Jackson to ever turn into a real boy become a better QB and possible starter? Or have they just given up on him, and figure they'll wing it when Favre finally comes crashing down?

In other news, the scuttlebutt is that Sam Bradford is going to be the #1 pick in the draft.

To which I say...huh? I know he's got good throwing mechanics, but he has fought injury after injury since being in college. He came back from injury and got reinjured in the exact same place. Do owners seriously think that defensive players don't do their film study on these sorts of things? Heck, even if they're not aiming for his shoulder, how likely is it that he's going to get hit there anyway?

Just...I'm really starting to think that the medical history is one of the best indications of a successful career in the NFL. Especially for QB.

Also, poor McNabb.

I agree that McNabb totally wouldn't want to be sent to Oakland. It is the place where NFL careers go to die. But does someone want to explain why Oakland wouldn't want McNabb? He's probably got several years left in him before he really starts to slide, Oakland's current QB situation is a joke, and anything that proves that Russell is a thing of the past is a step in the right direction. They'll obviously want him for more than one year, so that should be an essential part of the deal. (what sort of stupid team would trade a second round pick to have a player for only one year Cough*Jason Taylor*cough). But a sign-and-trade is doable. I think McNabb is enough of a professional to be willing to play in Oakland.

If they trade the #39 pick to the Eagles, they won't have to waste it paying some 7th round guy 2nd round money. It's win-win.

In other news, the scuttlebutt is that Sam Bradford is going to be the #1 pick in the draft.

To which I say...huh? I know he's got good throwing mechanics, but he has fought injury after injury since being in college. He came back from injury and got reinjured in the exact same place. Do owners seriously think that defensive players don't do their film study on these sorts of things? Heck, even if they're not aiming for his shoulder, how likely is it that he's going to get hit there anyway?

Just...I'm really starting to think that the medical history is one of the best indications of a successful career in the NFL. Especially for QB.

Yeah to me Suh is the nobrainer pick at #1. Sam Bradford just isn't a #1 overall type talent. The injury history is way too big of a red flag for that kind of investment. Not to mention: is he really that great of a talent? He might be the best of a weak class of QBs but that ain't saying much when your closest competitor is a guy who gets sucker punched in bars for being a dick.

Can't tell if the Rams are outthinking themselves or not thinking at all. I know they've already used top 10 picks on Adam Carriker and Chris Long but clearly those guys haven't made any real kind of difference. The Rams have had a tissue paper soft defense as long as I can recall. And of anyone in the draft Suh has the best chance to be a difference maker. Guy is a beast.

Yeah to me Suh is the nobrainer pick at #1. Sam Bradford just isn't a #1 overall type talent. The injury history is way too big of a red flag for that kind of investment. Not to mention: is he really that great of a talent? He might be the best of a weak class of QBs but that ain't saying much when your closest competitor is a guy who gets sucker punched in bars for being a dick.

Can't tell if the Rams are outthinking themselves or not thinking at all. I know they've already used top 10 picks on Adam Carriker and Chris Long but clearly those guys haven't made any real kind of difference. The Rams have had a tissue paper soft defense as long as I can recall. And of anyone in the draft Suh has the best chance to be a difference maker. Guy is a beast.

and at the same time, I am hoping hoping hoping that they do take Bradford. Because that would mean the Redskins can and should take Okung. Unless we blow it, which we might.

and at the same time, I am hoping hoping hoping that they do take Bradford. Because that would mean the Redskins can and should take Okung. Unless we blow it, which we might.

Yeah, I want Okung too.

But the Redskins also seem like they may be outthinking themselves with this talk of Clausen. Shanahan also raved about Tebow for about an hour though I would hope and assume he's not even considering him with the #4 pick overall. Actually I hope all these are smokescreens when really if Okung is sititng there they just take him.

Yeah, I want Okung too.

But the Redskins also seem like they may be outthinking themselves with this talk of Clausen. Shanahan also raved about Tebow for about an hour though I would hope and assume he's not even considering him with the #4 pick overall. Actually I hope all these are smokescreens when really if Okung is sititng there they just take him.

Agreed. Some scuttlebutt I've heard is that Shanahan is really into smokescreens, so maybe there's hope.

I'm kind of surprised that the Redskins aren't in the running to trade for McNabb. Not that I think we should ditch Campbell, but lots of people want to. And we could make worse trades, as I think that McNabb is a consistently good (but consistently not great) qb.

Yeah, I want Okung too.

God...if they took Clausen.

Okay, I'm very biased. I detest ND. But this kid is a jackass of the first order. I still love how he announced his intent to go to ND: New Years day at the College football Hall of Fame, riding a Hummer limo, and saying his intent was to win 4 national titles. Douche spiky hair for extra credit. None of that says he won't be a great QB, I know. But from may account he does not respond well to criticsm and came of as very arrogant at the combine. To me that spells Cade McNown. A talented kid who rubs veterans the wrong way and can't lead a team. The league is littered with qb's who had the tools but didn't have the mental toughness or leadership abilities.

I agree, Okung all the way and try and get somebody like Colt McCoy in the 2nd round. Much better value that way. No matter who is playing QB, they aren't going to make plays on their back, especially with the level of pass rushers in the NFC East.

Archived