NFL the offseason

AndyP

A very easy fix that would likely fix to most everyone's happiness would be to keep salary caps but remove rookie salaries from said cap. Rookies coudl still get paid, there'd be a lot of incentive to keep their contracts (since they're free money) and you wouldn't be punished for having this big contract on your books.

Of course that's never going to happen now, so the next best thing is a rookie salary cap with earlier free agency guaranteed (after 4 years).

Hey Pats fans or other football fans with insight into this:

Why didn't the Pats seem to care about resigning Ben Watson? He's never been a dominant player but he's made some good plays over the years. I don't think the Pats win the season opener in Buffalo last year without him. The Browns signed him for a pretty cheap rate, 3 years at $12 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4988424

Just sucks to see a first round draft pick walk away. Though I'm glad they've resigned Wilfork, Faulk, and Bodden.

This cracked me up:

Footballer Chad Ochocinco is looking for love ... on VH1. The 'Dancing With The Stars' contestant and Cincinnati Bengals star will pit interested ladies against one another in a dating competition set to air July 2010.

'The Tournament' features Ochocinco traveling the United States in search of love. During the first episode, the footballer will narrow potential mates down to 16, four from each region (north, south, central and west) of the United States before placing them into the bracket-style dating competition.

Each of the women will have an opportunity to spend quality time with Ochocinco while also competing against one another in double dates. The winner of each date face-off will receive a game ball from the star and move on to the next round of the tournament. The loser? She goes home.

Apparently he's going to start with a total of 85 women (naturally) and whittle down from there.

This cracked me up:

Apparently he's going to start with a total of 85 women (naturally) and whittle down from there.

Finally, a dating reality show that I'd actually watch.

Well, besides the first couple of seasons of Temptation Island.

Finally, a dating reality show that I'd actually watch.

Well, besides the first couple of seasons of Temptation Island.

This will put "Flavor of Love" to shame!

Hey Pats fans or other football fans with insight into this:

Why didn't the Pats seem to care about resigning Ben Watson?

I'm a little worried and frustrated. But I've also seen Watson disappear for entire games. My only guess is the Patriots must have figured Watson had peaked. Or the theme this off season seems to be chemistry. Fine, but what is the plan? I wish they were at least developing a TE. Dave Thomas? Gone. Too many priorities for this draft. I'm sure the Olson rumors will heat up.

ey Pats fans or other football fans with insight into this:

Why didn't the Pats seem to care about resigning Ben Watson? He's never been a dominant player but he's made some good plays over the years. I don't think the Pats win the season opener in Buffalo last year without him. The Browns signed him for a pretty cheap rate, 3 years at $12 million.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4988424

Just sucks to see a first round draft pick walk away. Though I'm glad they've resigned Wilfork, Faulk, and Bodden.

I had no idea the Pats were still a pro-team. I thought they were disbanded, considering they have been so utterly lethargic in the off season. Okay. That was a little harsh. They did resign Wilfork and Faulk and Bodden who easily won the title of "DB-Who-Sucks-But-Every-Now-and-Then-Puts-Up-A-Game-That-Doesn't-Make-You-Want-To-Take-Your-Own-Life-And-If-That-Game-Is-On-National-TV-It-Fools-The-Media-Enough-To-Believe-He-Is-Actually-Good-Which-is-Ridiculous" (that title is more honorary, tho).

But not re-signing Watson is not that glaring. The guy has been unable to be a consistent target for Brady; his routes have gotten sloppier, and he never stepped up to be a reliable 3rd target. I think we can draft or sign a tough TE to do that for cheaper to free up more money for Wilfork's contract or the picks we have to sign.

My biggest issue is how lousy we are looking at WR. I mean, okay we got the cream of the WR crop in the highly valued David Patten. I'm kidding. Or I wish I were kidding, because we have Patten. In Patten's last year with the Pats (2004), he had 7 Tds. In the 5 seasons since leaving, he has had 4. He is also severely injury prone. Because we need more of that now that Welker is out indefinitely, Moss had a back injury, and Endelman broke his arm. But what about the other WRs out there? Why are we not shipping one of the THREE second rounders we have for one of these guys?

I just would like us not morph COMPLETELY back into the Pats O that had no real WR core, because the D is not what it was.

It sounds like neither Watson or the Pats wanted to be together anymore:

According to the Boston Herald, there's "not a lot of interest on either side" regarding the Patriots and free agent TE Ben Watson.

Watson topped Footballoutsiders.com's per-play metrics for tight ends in 2009, but he was underutilized in a passing game that desperately needed another reliable target. The Pats seemed to have lost confidence in Watson's come-and-go hands a couple years back, and his role has been decreasing ever since. He would benefit from a fresh start.

Can any Pats fans tell me if he's a good blocker?

My biggest issue is how lousy we are looking at WR. I mean, okay we got the cream of the WR crop in the highly valued David Patten. I'm kidding. Or I wish I were kidding, because we have Patten. In Patten's last year with the Pats (2004), he had 7 Tds. In the 5 seasons since leaving, he has had 4. He is also severely injury prone. Because we need more of that now that Welker is out indefinitely, Moss had a back injury, and Endelman broke his arm. But what about the other WRs out there? Why are we not shipping one of the THREE second rounders we have for one of these guys?

Or you should go after Marshall who has just 1st round tender, and use the second to draft defense. This year is uncapped and Moss will leave next year anyway so why not just give his money to Marshall? And offense Brady- Welker/Edelman-Moss would be just sick this year.

and Bodden who easily won the title of "DB-Who-Sucks-But-Every-Now-and-Then-Puts-Up-A-Game-That-Doesn't-Make-You-Want-To-Take-Your-Own-Life-And-If-That-Game-Is-On-National-TV-It-Fools-The-Media-Enough-To-Believe-He-Is-Actually-Good-Which-is-Ridiculous" (that title is more honorary, tho).

Can't believe sportswriters get to vote on this award too. They should really open it up to the fans.

Skins sign Larry Johnson. Combining him with Portis clearly gives us the best 2006 backfield in the league. Though maybe we should nab LT to cement that.

Hearing Shanahan's glowing comments about LJ has me a little concerned he thinks it's still mid-decade and that he just wooed away the star player from a division rival.

The Browns just signed Jake Delhomme. :ack: Can't we have one offseason without a QB competition? Please?

I suppose Delhomme is the starter since he's going to get $7 million this year. :bang: Hopefully Quinn can land with a team that can actually use him.

This will put "Flavor of Love" to shame!

I will watch Ochocinco's show but unless one of the women craps on the floor in the first "rose ceremony" equivalent; it won't come close to Flavor of Love

The Browns just signed Jake Delhomme. :ack: Can't we have one offseason without a QB competition? Please?

I suppose Delhomme is the starter since he's going to get $7 million this year. :bang: Hopefully Quinn can land with a team that can actually use him.

Jake is obviously the luckiest guy on earth. He played below average for last 5 years and remained Panther starter. He threw 5 picks in playoff and was rewarded with 12 mil per year contract. Than when he sucks again for whole year he is finally released, only to be resigned for 7 mil/yr. That's some pretty advanced voodoo magic in play IMO.

True, true. It's pretty obvious that our past attempts have all been failures so a new approach was needed. Oh well, at least I still have the Cavs.

Come-on, you know it would not be a Browns off season without a QB controversy or competition.

Archived