NFL the offseason

AndyP

wow....ESPN sportscenter just reported that Anquan Boldin was traded to the Ravens for a 3rd and 4th round pick.

He's already agreed to a new deal:

Adam_Schefter

Well, that didn't take long: Anquan Boldin agrees to a new four-year, $28 million contract with the Ravens.

He's already agreed to a new deal:

Nice move for the Ravens. I really don't think they would've found a better offensive weapon in the third or the fourth round and there's no question this team needs more weapons. His physical toughness should fit well with the character of the team.

His physical toughness should fit well with the character of the team.
Which is a really odd thing to say given that he's missed a ton of playtime due to injuries. I know what you're saying - he's a physical receiver that blocks well, and isn't going to get pushed off routes and duck hits. Still...odd.

It seems like a good choice for the Ravens, though I don't know how well that works with Flacco. Still, anything to give them a first choice receiver and challenge something downfield other than the aging Mason, who will almost assuredly retire now.

Damn. I was really hoping the Pats possibility was more than just vaporware. But kudoes to the Ravens for going out and getting a big dog receiver, instead of settling for the corpse of Terrell Owens.

Which is a really odd thing to say given that he's missed a ton of playtime due to injuries. I know what you're saying - he's a physical receiver that blocks well, and isn't going to get pushed off routes and duck hits. Still...odd.

Yeah, he's a strange dichotomy of being, one hand, maybe the most physical receiver in the NFL after the catch; the guy's actively looking for a DB he can truck...while at the same time being a bit of a prima donna and a guy who hasn't played 16 the last couple years. But then you also have to factor in, part of the reason he's missed time is a hit so brutal that it changes the shape of his face and had Warner considering retirement. As far as circumstances go, that's about as extenuating as they come.

I don't understand the Taylor signing. Yes, Forte wasn't great - but he wasn't bad, and he has an atrocious line for most of the year.

I think it wasn't just about the line. After all the other bear backs had much higher ypc (though it's true they had just few carries) behind the same line. The problem with Forte is that he's average in everything - he isn't especailly fast or elusive, nor powerfull. I also think he's too tall for runing back and runs upright. Only AP has similar height/weight ratio but AP is special case.

ETA: Just seethis rating, Forte is dead last. He was injured of course, but still...

The compensation for Boldin is too low IMO, the guy is clearly no 1 reciever who was just in Fitzgerald shadow. I'm surprised Chicago hasn't traded their 3rd plus Olsen for him.

ETA: Patriots resigned Wilfork for 40 mil, 5 years. That's very good deal, I think, I expected him to want more especially in uncapped year, but obviously not every team is Redskins.

Cardinals are falling apart. No more Boldin, Dansby, Rolle, or Warner (but of course we already knew that). They've got two first round picks in the upcoming draft and now they've added a third and a fourth-- those are going to be some VERY critical selections for them if they hope to reload in the immediate future.

Redskins interested in Sexy Rex. The sound you just heard was Jaime's head exploding.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/redskins-interested-in-rex-grossman/

Ahahahahahaha! :lol:

Forte was also a very good receiver both last year and the year before. I dunno; it's hard to imagine that Forte regressed so much from his rookie season.

But regardless, I don't think that RB was that big an issue. There are a lot of RBs out there, and that's one of the few places where you were likely to find someone in the draft given how late they're picking.

While I know zero about this TE the Bears got, I actually like the Taylor signing. Forte's year was down last year, though injury probably player a big factor in that. But the NFL seems to be all about the tandem running attack these days and having a guy like Taylor along can prove to be beneficial for Forte...

Cardinals are falling apart. No more Boldin, Dansby, Rolle, or Warner (but of course we already knew that). They've got two first round picks in the upcoming draft and now they've added a third and a fourth-- those are going to be some VERY critical selections for them if they hope to reload in the immediate future.

Actually Boldin's loss doesn't hurt that much. They still have 3 very good recievers. And both Dansby and Rolle are overpaid now. Especially Rolle - it looks like he'll be best paid safety now, while he barely belongs to the top 10 league S. All these players are replaceable. They should be more worried about QB.

Actually Boldin's loss doesn't hurt that much. They still have 3 very good recievers. And both Dansby and Rolle are overpaid now. Especially Rolle - it looks like he'll be best paid safety now, while he barely belongs to the top 10 league S. All these players are replaceable. They should be more worried about QB.

I can't deny that I don't think they'll not going to miss Rolle too much-- he was (and still is) overpaid. But Dansby was a big part of that defense, IMO. From a Niner fan's perspective, I'm excited about Gore running on that defense in '10.

And Boldin just had that physical presence that was big for them, IMO. When you watch the Cardinals, at least from a non fan's perspective, they seem to have this really chippy personality as a team. It's hard for me to describe really well but basically they've always seemed to me like they had a lot of bullies but not a lot of guys who were particularly tough, if that makes sense (especially on defense). They'll go for the big hits, and dance around and get in the other team's face early in the game, but in the fourth quarter when the other team's been running at them and the game's on the line, they back down. Losing Dansby and Boldin, to me, seems like it's going to perhaps further send the team's psyche in that direction. At least, that's the perspective of a guy who sees them play 3-4 games per year.

Nice move for the Ravens. I really don't think they would've found a better offensive weapon in the third or the fourth round and there's no question this team needs more weapons. His physical toughness should fit well with the character of the team.

They gave up a 3rd and 4th but also gained a 5th back. It's annoying because that's incredibly cheap for Boldin. I wish the Bengals took note and actually made an attempt. Watching their rival in the division get him for peanuts is a bit ridiculous, especially when they need a WR themselves. But Mike Brown doesn't like giving up picks even if the player they're trading for is a proven player and even though about 70% of those picks fail. It's so frustrating. But at least we can get TO or Bryant and to be fair, wouldn't mind either to complement Ocho.

They gave up a 3rd and 4th but also gained a 5th back. It's annoying because that's incredibly cheap for Boldin. I wish the Bengals took note and actually made an attempt. Watching their rival in the division get him for peanuts is a bit ridiculous, especially when they need a WR themselves. But Mike Brown doesn't like giving up picks even if the player they're trading for is a proven player and even though about 70% of those picks fail. It's so frustrating. But at least we can get TO or Bryant and to be fair, wouldn't mind either to complement Ocho.

Hell, with the signings they made yesterday I don't think I'd've cared if Jerry Angelo threw out the third and fourth round picks along with the one and two the Bears already lack for Boldin...

Sounds like Jerry Angelo really made a smart deal when he signed Julius Peppers

Peppers gets $20 million in 2010 (all but a $100,000 workout bonus is guaranteed). But the $22 million in guaranteed money that he's due to receive in 2011 and 2012 is guaranteed for injury only.

This means that the Bears can decide after the 2010 season to cut Peppers for skill reasons -- and they'll owe him nothing.

This ensures that Peppers doesn't slack off after receiving his big contract (unless he really just wanted to play for one more year then retire) and if he does, the Bears can cut him loose when they clean house. Although if Angelo and Smith are fired after this next season, I expect Bill Cowher to be the next Bears coach, in which case I think he'd want to keep a guy like Peppers around to anchor his line.

Sounds like Jerry Angelo really made a smart deal when he signed Julius Peppers

This ensures that Peppers doesn't slack off after receiving his big contract (unless he really just wanted to play for one more year then retire) and if he does, the Bears can cut him loose when they clean house. Although if Angelo and Smith are fired after this next season, I expect Bill Cowher to be the next Bears coach, in which case I think he'd want to keep a guy like Peppers around to anchor his line.

That's one way to look at it. The way I see it, Peppers isn't worth 20 million. He's past his prime, and while capable of turning it great games, doesn't play consistently enough to warrant that kind of money.

I wouldn't say he's past his prime. He's nearing it, certainly, but while last season he may have put up the fewest amount of tackles since his rookie season, he still managed 10.5 sacks, 2 INTs and 5 FF. That's much better than any Bears lineman produced and offenses still have to respect his ability to get to the QB. That alone will help a guy like Tommie Harris avoid the double team and penetrate more.

He may or may not be worth the money by years end, but right now he certainly has made the Bears defense more formidable (which really isn't saying much considering how shitty they'd been the last two seasons).

Although if Angelo and Smith are fired after this next season, I expect Bill Cowher to be the next Bears coach, in which case I think he'd want to keep a guy like Peppers around to anchor his line.
Maybe - depends a lot on how he does. Cowher comes from the Pitt line of thinking, which is that you develop in the draft, no one player is indispensable, you get people who buy into the system and you reward loyalty. If Peppers is a bust - or even if he's great but a disruption - he might not be worth the conflict to Cowher.

Still, a really smart contract. And $10 mil in an uncapped season to get the best DE available and who showed the ability to utterly destroy an in-division rival (he was the reason that they almost benched Favre, after all) was worth the small risk - which in this case, is really just the owner's money.

Roethlisberger is really taking a beating on ESPN radio these last few days. From the sounds of things, it seems like Big Ben is not well loved in Pittsburgh (to the level one would expect of a 2 time Super Bowl champ QB). Apparently restaurant and bar owners have emailed in and basically said he's not a stand-up kind of guy. Colin Cowherd was saying that his history of poor judgement is now becoming a trend going back to the helmetless motorcycle accident and the incident in Nevada last year.

I've gotta say that I'm surprised. I didn't expect him to take such a big hit to his reputation in this case. I'm sure it will all get swept under the rug in Georgia somehow regardless of the truth, but I think there's now a very real stain on his reputation.

Archived