NFL the offseason

AndyP

The NFC East just had a MAJOR PURGE!

The Eagles trade Sheldon Brown for linebacker Alex Hall and a 4th and 5th round pick. Philly added linebacker Chris Gocong to the deal.

Dallas in the mean time, cut starters LT Flozell Adams and Safety Ken Hamlin.

Dallas already has their replacements for Adams and Hamlin with Doug Free and Mike Hamlin. But it makes them dangeroulsy thin at the positions and now makes them have to possibly draft need in the upcoming NFL Draft. Adams was on his last legs and his dirty play was a sign that he oould no longer be depended on. Ken Hamlin was not worth the paycheck. The defense was actually better when he got hurt and they used their 4th corner Alan Ball as the free safety.

I'm not sure what the Philly trade means. Are they using next year as a reload year? If they do trade McNabb and now trading one of their starting corners they have taken a step back from Dallas. Their secondary was already very thin and this gives them just one good player back there, Asante Samuel. But right now they have 10 draft picks and if they trade McNabb they will add a premium pick. So they could be looking to the future.

eta fixed link

So the Eagles have traded McNabb.

To the ...

Skins.

So Slurk/Jaime, what are your thoughts? :P

This isn't April 1st, right???? :stunned: This FLOORS me. The Skins have to think they can win SOON. The Eagles have to think McNabb is beatable.

It reminds me of the Pats trading Bledsoe to the Bills but then again not. The Pats had just won a Super Bowl and Brady was clearly better than Bledsoe. McNabb is clearly better than Kevin Kolb, isn't he?

HOLY SHIT. WTF IS GOING ON HERE?!?!

Thought there was zero chance, nada, that the Eagles would trade McNabb within the division. It's like the final disrespect to McNabb in Philly, almost the perfect end for his tenure in Philly. Nice bookends for the most successful QB in franchise history: booed on draft day, traded to a division rival more than a decade later. This is ironic because I've probably defended McNabb more than any other non-Redskin on this board. Not to mention I've learned to respect and fear him over the years. Think Redskin fans in general have tended to be baffled by the reaction of Philly fans to him. We haven't had a QB close to as good as him over the last 10 years...for all those years, we would've killed to have the guy. Now we finally have him, but it feels like it may be too late...that he's too old. Still I think he was unquestionably the best QB available, and yet, and yet I'm not sure I'm sold on this move. A large part of me, for once, would have liked us just to hold onto our draft picks and rebuild. Instead we ended up with one of our longest tenured hated enemies now on our roster. What can I possibly think about this? I'm floored.

He's going to look awfully strange in a Redskin uniform. I can't even imagine it. I've spent so long hating him (12 years!)...I don't think I can just turn it on and start rooting for the guy. Then again winning cures all. My only hope for this trade is McNabb so incensed by this final disrespect goes terminator mode in the offseason with the simple goal of destroying the Eagles. There would be no retribution sweeter than if the guy who could never win the big game, wins it all with a team in the same division as the city that treated him like crap literally from day one.

Guess this means Campbell's going to be traded. Can't imagine them keeping Campbell, McNabb and Sexy Rexy on the roster (How the fuck did this get to be our QB rotation?!). Hope they get something decent for him. At least I can be assured they're not blowing their #4 pick on a QB. Unless of course Shanahan decides to continue his "let's fuck with JL tour" and drafts Jimmy Clausen anyway to complete the position with guys I've hated at one time or another. I'm going to make myself a stiff drink.

When the trade talk started, my first thought was FINALLY McNabb would be gone from the NFC East. Despite last season's results, he has tortured the Cowboys over the years. So the fawking Eagles have to go and trade him to the RESDKINS?? :tantrum:

Philly has balls, I'll give them that. Can you imagine if/when McNabb and the Redskins beat them? Philly will eat itself alive. I'll be rooting for the Redskins. I've always felt the McNabb was a classy player and a great QB. So I'll STILL have to watch him run through defensive linemen in the backfield, buying time to make a big play. It just remain to be seen if he'll have to be doing that a heck of a lot more now. You have to think the Skins HAVE to go Offensive lineman in the 1st round now. Maybe 3rd and 4th, too.

Philly has balls, I'll give them that. Can you imagine if/when McNabb and the Redskins beat them?

Yeah. See what's also interesting is how the pressure now ramps up on Kolb. Before he had the sweetest gig in Philly: being the QB who wasn't McNabb. But if he struggles at all, or God forbid loses to the Redskins in a game he doesn't play well, Philly Fan will turn on him too. That guy who was holding them back will transfer from McNabb to Kolb and Reid.

You have to think the Skins HAVE to go Offensive lineman in the 1st round now. Maybe 3rd and 4th, too.

I would completely happy if they did that.

And no one has picked up Westbrook. The Eagles have changed fast. . .

I personally feel Kolb can get it done. The Eagles of course have surrounded him with some fairly decent WR's

I would repeat my call to change the title of this thread. I could give two shits about Pacman :rolleyes:

Wow. If they trade Campbell, and McNabb has any kind of injury issues, then we're that much closer to seeing Rex go for it! Woo hoo!

Indeed. The thought that Rex Grossman might be only one serious McNabb injury away from starting . . . where's Caliban when you need him?

It looks like the Raiders are stuck with Russell for a bit longer.

Shockingly, the Redskins have added another veteran who's significantly closer to the end of his career than the beginning and done so at the expense of some solid draft picks. I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked.

Kidding aside, this move doesn't make any sense unless there's a contract extension coming with it locking Donovan up for the next four years or so instead of just next season. With McNabb on the roster I definitely think the Redskins are closer to winning again, but I don't think they're so close that it'll be happening this year.

Is Jimmy Clausen bound for Buffalo now? I am of two minds on this: 1) as a total jackass, I think it would be fitting that he get sent to the gulag of the NFL-- it's cold, hasn't been competitive in a while, and did I mention cold? 2) Buffalo fans DO NOT deserve this. That said, I'm a little scared of him falling to the teens where the Notre Dame loving Yorks could maybe talk themselves into drafting him for SF (pleasepleaseplease NO), so in the end, I'll be pulling for him to be a Bill on April 22.

Yeah, my first thought on this was... maybe the Philly front office knows something I don't? Because this seems like a friggin' terrible idea. Are they dumping salary or something? I really feel like they've made their team worse and made a rival better. Are they gonna trade up in the draft to try and take a young, big-name QB?

As far as Buffalo goes, Andrik, don't joke about stuff like that :P. Actually, I wouldn't mind if we traded for Campbell, he's a solid player... but I don't really know what we'd give up to get him.

Also, in unrelated news, I saw Toby Gerhart in the gym the other day, and that guy is ridiculously built. I don't think I've ever seen someone IRL that short who was that thick in the upper body. Very interested to see where he goes in the draft.

Dear star struck NFL team owner,

I think we've got a hell of a deal for you. We've got this QB who is a great regular season guy (when he's healthy). Been to the Super Bowl (where he threw up in the 4th quarter), playoffs almost every year of his career (four losses in the NFC championship game, but who's counting), throws for a ton of yards (because the coach NEVER runs), and really knows how to win (when the pressure's off). He is uncannily accurate (absolutely nails those shoelaces every fifth pass), knows how to play the game (except when he doesn't know the rules). He's a West Coast Offense prodigy (ignore that you don't run this offense), and a real statistical monster (which only matters to the fantasy dorks).

Our "blue collar" town has always had a problem with a guy who smiles (sure, that's their excuse, yeah) instead of having "steely determination" in his eyes. The guys who bleed green don't want (but really aren't knowledgeable enough to appreciate) a dump off pass or a slant route for short yardage. Sure, they'll get more of the same because our coach isn't going anywhere, but at least the other guy on the bench isn't this guy (maybe they'll stop throwing batteries for a few weeks).

Anyway, you get a guy who is always in the conversation for fourth or fifth best QB in the league (or at least was three years ago), and we get to move on with our lives, and get a top 40 pick. Nobody loses, right?

Signed, the Eagles

Have the secretaries delete everything in parentheses and send this to Al Davis, for sure. He's always up for a trade that damages his team in the long run. And copy the guy in DC too, the one with the Napoleon complex. Never can tell with him, maybe he's off his meds this week.

Yeah, my first thought on this was... maybe the Philly front office knows something I don't? Because this seems like a friggin' terrible idea. Are they dumping salary or something? I really feel like they've made their team worse and made a rival better. Are they gonna trade up in the draft to try and take a young, big-name QB?

OK, here's the real deal on McNabb... the Eagles release or trade away guys once they hit the 10 year mark (approximately), sometimes earlier. It's part of the "philosophy" of the front office, and they don't care if it's a guy the fans love like Brian Dawkins, that the fans are split on, like McNabb. If they can get value in return, which this trade looks like it is doing, then all the better. It might look shortsighted for a year or two, but it usually works out.

They won't draft a QB in the first three rounds, unless something shiny catches Andy Reid's eye and he can't resist.

As for the Redskins, they might be the best "three years ago" fantasy team ever. McNabb, Portis, Larry Johnson, Willie Parker. Is T.O. still out there?

So the Eagles have traded McNabb.

To the ...

Skins.

So Slurk/Jaime, what are your thoughts? :P

I was out of town for easter today and just found out about this 5 minutes ago. I don't know what to think. I've hated Donovan McNabb for years and I don't know if I can bring myself to cheer for him. This honestly kind of feels like I got kicked in the nuts by somebody then had to ask that same person immediately after for a loan.

It's just.... ugh. I want to be all Wes Mantooth like Jaime but I can't. I don't respect McNabb, I think he is a sack of puking shit; who 3 days ago I was mercilessly taunting my brother about because of the Raiders rumour.

I hate this.

NFC East fans can maybe enlighten me-- I don't get the McNabb hate. I understand that Philly fans see him as something of a choke artist, and I understand that he's been pretty good over the years so he beat up on the other teams in that division at one time or another, but I don't understand the level of vitriol for him that I see in Slurktan's post above. What's the deal? He's honestly always seemed like a pretty cool guy to me-- is he secretly an arrogant prick and only the other teams in the NFC East know it?

NFC East fans can maybe enlighten me-- I don't get the McNabb hate. I understand that Philly fans see him as something of a choke artist, and I understand that he's been pretty good over the years so he beat up on the other teams in that division at one time or another, but I don't understand the level of vitriol for him that I see in Slurktan's post above. What's the deal? He's honestly always seemed like a pretty cool guy to me-- is he secretly an arrogant prick and only the other teams in the NFC East know it?

What does being a pretty cool guy (or a prick) have to do with anything? I enjoy his old Campbell soup commercials with his Mom.

I have no idea if any other Skins fans hate him like I do, I don't really care to be honest I know it's particularly personal for me. It has its roots in fantasy football and has to deal with people in my League liking to talk him up as the Football Christ for the last ten years or so. I love rubbing it in their faces when he in the end makes them lose (happens every year and I enjoys it) and now I can't do that without knowing that him being shit is killing my team.

Not sure what else to say besides that I hate Donovan McNabb and the Toronto Maple Leafs with the white hot fury of 10,000 suns. Now my team is trying to take that away from me.

EDIT:

Been thinking on it and I'm a little drunk. I'll try to use an analogy for what I'm going through:

Let's say you truly love a movie despite how crappy it really kind of is, like say Rocky 4. Now let's say you truly hate an actor for the reasons that are seemingly pretty mysterious to everyone else like for example: Paul Rudd. Now imagine if you found out that every single copy of Rocky IV in existence throughout the world now has all of its characters replaced by Paul Rudd and the dialog replaced by him speaking the lines.

Theres basically two possible places to go from there:

1) You bitterly begin to hate Rocky IV and refuse to even think of it or watch it until the world resumes spinning on its proper axis and Rudd is replaced.

2) You go through something like Malkovich did when walking into his own head in Being John Malkovich which in the end results with you finding yourself thrown onto the side of a highway screaming about how you've seen something no man should see.

Archived