Book Hauls!

Werthead

The latest book haul (all ARCs this time around):

The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding

The Alchemist in the Shadows by Pierre Pevel

The Japanese Devil Fish Girl and Other Unnatural Attractions by Robert Rankin

Just arrived from Amazon today:

Starlady / Fast-Friend by GRRM, two stories bound together in a slim volume by Subterranean. Been out for awhile, but I kept forgetting to put it down on the list.

Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis, one of the new Wild Cards writers who I had the pleasure to meet during the L.A. Worldcon. A genuine rocket scientist (well, astrophysicist, anyways), I'm very much looking forward to this alternate-WWII where Germany uses superpowered soldiers and the Brits fight back using demons. Some excellent reviews for this one.

The Phantom Queen Awakes, a fantasy anthology containing, among other things, a story from Katherine Kerr that connects to her recently-completed Deverry saga.

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan, a sequel ("companion", actually, is what the cover blurb calls it) to her The Forest of Hands and Teeth, a post-zombie apocalypse story. Quite liked the mood she set. I gather that this takes place 20 or 30 years after the first novel, picking up with the child of one of the characters from the original book.

Books/Graphic Novels received from publishers in the past 2 weeks or so (mix of ARCs and final copies)

Dust of Dreams by Stephen Erikson (Bantam) - paperback

Dragon Soul by Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett (Spectra)

Twelve by Jasper Kent (Pyr)

Death's Head: Day of the Damned by David Gunn (Bantam)

Procession of the Dead by Darren Shan (Grand Central)

Shadow's Son by Jon Sprunk (Pyr)

Speculative Horizons edited by Patrick St-Denis (Subterranean)

Naamah's Kiss by Jacqueline Carey (Grand Central)

Goats: Showcase Showdown by Jonathan Rosenberg (Del Rey)

I got a nice Amazon gift-card as a graduation present, plus I've made a few trips to Half-Price books, so I've got quite a few. In addition to these, I'm thinking about getting Altered Carbon and New Model Army.

From Amazon:

Spellwright by Blake Charlton

Arms-Commander by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

The Briar King by Gregory Keyes

Neuropath by R. Scott Bakker

From Half-Price Books:

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown ($0.80!)

New copies of: The Eye of the World, A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings (my copies of all three were really really worn out)

Devices and Desires by K.J. Parker

The Company by K.J. Parker

Dune by Frank Herbert (never read it)

Free eBooks for my Nook:

The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov

Childhood's Endby Arthur C. Clarke

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Waiting for The Price of Spring paperback was a waste of time since it's now official that there won't be one, so I just bought the Seasons of War omnibus by Daniel Abraham.

Purchase:

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

The Best American Short Stories: 2006 - Editor: Ann Patchett

English language books being limited and expensive here, I rely a lot on borrowing. Recently borrowed:

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

Going After Cacciato - Tim O'Brien

Korea - Simon Winchester

Oddly, after recent discussions about Kay, I'd been looking for a decent-priced copy of Tigana online. Just before I was planning to order it, I found a second-hand copy going for 20p in my girlfriend's son's preschool fund-raising donations sections, which was both random and welcome. That means I'm only missing Ysabel and Fionavar from my Kay collection.

Guest Raidne

Ha, you can have my Ysabel. Ugh. Since I'm worried about getting spoiled, will someone just tell me here if Under Heaven is any better? Meaning, is it more like Song for Arbonne/Tigana, or more like Fionavar/Ysabel?

Ha, you can have my Ysabel. Ugh. Since I'm worried about getting spoiled, will someone just tell me here if Under Heaven is any better? Meaning, is it more like Song for Arbonne/Tigana, or more like Fionavar/Ysabel?

Under Heaven is definitely batting at or above the Arbonne/Tigana level. I found it far more impressive than Fionavar, which I couldn't even finish (very unusual for me).

Guest Raidne

Great thanks! So, last week I bought (and have since read) Westerfeld's The Risen Empire and Killing of Worlds, and this week I went out all set to buy the, yep, third book.

:lol: I'm an idiot.

I guess the ending just lacked that feeling of...finalty? He did say he was going to go back to it at some point, I guess, but it looks like he's preoccupied with young adult stuff.

ETA: I have just been going crazy with book-buying lately. My next purchase is going to have to be another bookshelf.

Archived