Book Hauls!

Werthead

I was out in the neighborhood looking for some new shoes to buy -or maybe a skirt?- when I glanced across the street and nearly fell over when I saw a familiar sign that I never ever expected to see in my municipality. A decent bookstore! I crossed over without paying any attention to oncoming traffic, it turns out they just opened yesterday and I was probably their first sale ever, judging by the way they acted. I bought Nation by Terry Pratchett. Their English language selection leaves a lot to be desired but I'll be stopping by there regularly to see if they have anything new. We have so many businesses closing around here, I'll do my best to make sure they stay open.

After coming home I realized one book just wasn't enough, so I broke down and ordered a few more from The BookDepository.

The Steel Remains, Richard Morgan

A Madness of Angels, Kate Griffin

The Midnight Mayor, Kate Griffin

The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

Hawkwood and the Kings , Paul Kearney

Century of the Soldier, Paul Kearney

Scheduled to arrive today:

Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson

Peacekeeper by Laura E. Reeve

The Truth of Valor by Tanya Huff

Cold Magic by Kate Elliott

Game of Cages by Harry Connolly

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Went a wee bit mad on The Book Depository.

Lonely planet guide to Vietnam - for my trip in October.

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Black Thorn, White Rose by Ellen Datlow

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Folding Knife by KJ Parker - my last copy mysteriously disappeared and can't be found.

Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal

The Scarab Path by Adrian Tchaikovsky

The Century of the Soldier by Paul Kearney

Cast in Chaos by Michelle Sagara

The Red Tree by Caitlin Kiernan

Savages by Don Winslow

And I just ordered this again (this time in hardback)... I had ordered the tpb, but that is apparently not released until March 2011 - even though amazon did not have it listed as a preorder the other day.:bang:

After moving into my new college dorm I find space to be tighter than usual so I bought Modern Library's Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural. A huge array of some of my favorites all in one binding. Very cool collection! It even has Richard Connell's The Most Dangerous Game. :smoking:

A fairly massive package arrived from Gollancz today, so I was expecting it to be a number of smaller books packaged together. Instead it was just one: the absolutely titanic arc for Stephen Donaldson's Against All Things Ending. It's colossal, a clear inch thicker than my ARC of The Way of Kings. Not due to greater page-count, but because the pages are fairly thick; the book itself is 'only' 804 pages long, or 200 pages shorter than the Sanderson. Still pretty huge by any measure though.

Of course, I can't read it for the forseeable future. I barely managed to stomach Lord Foul's Bane a decade and a half ago. I love The Gap series so I've thought about retrying Covenant, but I'm eight (pretty thick) books behind and no time to read them.

Went a wee bit mad on The Book Depository.

Lonely planet guide to Vietnam - for my trip in October.

Beware of the fact that a lot of addresses for restaurants etc. are no longer correct. I used the lonely planet (bought in 2009) for my trip in June, and noticed that a lot of addresses were not correct (businesses closed etc..)

Just keep it in mind, for the rest, the lonely planet is great!

The Left Hand of God, Paul Hoffman

Mort, Sir Terry Prathett

Thud!, Sir Terry Pratchett

EDIT: Has anyone read Left Hand of God? Was an impulse buy as it was a 3 for 2 offer, normally I read alot of reviews before deciding to buy a book or pass on it, but it sounds intriguing. Just wondering what the general consenus was.

Got some money for my birthday to purchase books online and picked out from my wish list:

Dune

Use of Weapons

A Canticle for Leibowitz

The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay

The Journeyer by Gary Jennings

Heroes Die

The Terror

Chronicles of the Black Company

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell

Just picked up a free copy of Del Toro's "the strain" outside Holborn station, Apparently it was free with the Evening standard. Only drawback is that I ordered a copy from Play that will arrive tomorrow :( Cheap gift I guess.

I just purchased

Olympos - Dan Simmons (I know, I know, its a terrible book, but I already read Ilium and I cant not finish a series)

Six not-so-easy pieces - Richard Feynman (no explanation necessary)

Just six numbers - Martin Rees (This book was mentioned by Dawkins in The God Delusion, and the premise sounded interesting to me)

A history of the Arab peoples - Albert Hourani (Consider this part of an ongoing effort to educate myself about histories of places/peoples that I am unfamiliar with)

I'm really happy I have a used bookstore near my house that is excellent. I'd spend all my cash there if I could.

Archived