Westeros Blog: Aidan Gillen IS Littlefinger

One of the most anticipated remaining casting announcements for HBO’s adaption of George R.R. Martin’s Game of Thrones has just come out, courtesy of James Hibberd at the Hollywood Reporter’s blog, The Live Feed.

Aidan Gillen, a fan favorite from early on, has been cast in the role of Lord Petyr Baelish, more popularly known as Littlefinger. A scheming, immoral social-climbing conniver, Baelish is a pivotal character in the series, one that viewers are sure to love to hate.

Gillen first came to prominence in his breakthrough role as Stuart Allen Jones in the original Queer as Folk in the U.K., and has since gone on to appear in a number of productions, most notably the role of Mayor Carcetti (also a political schemere par excellance) in HBO’s acclaimed The Wire. Some months back, Paul Gude was in contact with his agent, and learned that the agent had heard about the possibility of a role for his client and expressed their interest. It seems to have worked out.

Below are two videos, one featuring him as Carcetti and another a reading in his native Dublin accent:

Visit the Site!

Wow. Awesome news. :) There hasn't been a huge number of Irish actors in this show but with Barristan and LF, we are doing very well suddenly. Aidan Gillen was excellent in the Wire.

This might be the best casting yet!

I wish he was a few inches shorter (I wanted to see Sansa, Catelyn, and Lysa looking down at him :lol:) but other than that - I see it. Very nice; congrats!

Excellent news. I finally got and watched Season 5 of The Wire last week and frequently thought of a much-more-naive version of Littlefinger with that season of Carcetti. He does harmless-seeming very well.

I had no idea who he was until I checked out IMDB, but yeah - this guy does seedy, driven ruthless politician really well. I can see him doing littlefinger justice.

It's not John Simm, but it'll do.

...I think that The Wire is the greatest piece of fiction in a visual medium ever...

Get out of my mind!!

I've said that to people, almost word-for-word on many occasions. Freaky.

Ooh very interesting. I've seen him in Queer as Folk and loved him there. He has this strange quality there, that lets you love him and hate him at once. Can't wait what he'll bring to the dispicable but charming Littlefinger.

Excellent news. I finally got and watched Season 5 of The Wire last week and frequently thought of a much-more-naive version of Littlefinger with that season of Carcetti. He does harmless-seeming very well.

The Wire is one of those shows where each season tells a different story, right? I'd like to rent it and watch our Littlefinger in action but its going to take a while to get there if I have to watch four seasons beforehand for it to make any sense...

The Wire is one of those shows where each season tells a different story, right? I'd like to rent it and watch our Littlefinger in action but its going to take a while to get there if I have to watch four seasons beforehand for it to make any sense...

Gillen shows up at the start of season 3. Not that you should need any persuading to watch The Wire. Get to it!

What makes him a wonderful fit for Littlefinger is the ruthless ambition he displayed as Tommy Carcetti. Not only that, while watching the show, I actually believed that Tommy would actually fix Baltimore's problems even being familiar with the man's ambitious nature. A lot of that credit goes to Gillen's acting as he made the audience believe that he was the man for Baltimore. That kind of talent is going to come in quite handy as he plays Westeros' second most devious man.

Moreover,you don't break the bank on him, but he provides with you with a solid performance. Not only is Gillen a very talented actor, he is not well known, and that makes him perfect (From HBO's standpoint) for a supporting role like Littlefinger.

I think HBO picked the right guy to play one of the most important roles in the series.

I do believe this is the piece of casting that pleases me the most.

As Tommy Carcetti he showed that great mixture of charm and ambition that makes every real life politican sudden look like a second rate impersonation of him. It will be great to see him bring that level of believability to Littlefinger.

Archived