1st HBO Preview, 12 Sept 2010

Angel

If someone disagreeing with you about the way they perceive characters' looks makes them a pre-teen so be it. Although, I would imagine that pre-teens would be pushing for prettier characters a la Edward Cullen (and not ugly, deformed dwarfs ;)). But god forbid we critique anything. -_-

There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and hopping on a thread to make inane comments like "X looked fuggin' stupid." I half expect the R-word to be tossed around along with f*g and g*y." Came across to me as prepubescent. When someone simply states, "I thought Tyrion could have been truer to the story," well . . . much different.

It's not like Dinklage is strikingly handsome or anything; I'd think Sean Bean is more in the 'too good-looking' category than Dinklage. I'm pleased, because his acting ability wouldn't come through as much with prosthetics and make-up covering his face. Don't want Tyrion to become Gimli.

I dunno. Dinklage is pretty darn attractive. Perhaps we'll just have to see how he handles Tyrion as an actor because Dinklage himself seems highly charismatic to me.

On the other hand, Tyrion has a certain charisma about him, that is undeniable.

A feast for crows :) Was that original music attached to the teaser or just lifted from somewhere?

The making of clip turned out to be far more rewarding than the trailer to be honest. The set clip of Maisie Williams grinning at the camera tells me she is going to be perfect as Arya. The still of Dany with her horse looks good too and Viserys complimented the family look well.

LOVED Loras's armor. It's full on tourney armor, pagentary and all. Of course, he shall probably be wearing that exact same get up when he goes to war (he doesn't in fact, not in ACoK), but so be it. For the tourney, it's ridiculously perfect.

The Kingsguard armor, I am less pleased with. They got the suit of scales things, but the helmets are just so ... fantasy. And they lost the white cloaks, and the general purity of their aesthetic! Oh well, can't have it all.

I don't care a damn about Dany's eyebrows, as some seem to. The hair-color is okay -- her hair is never blond, it's always silver or silver-gold -- but I think one needs to wait to see it on the screen in an actual episode to see how it looks after the post-processing that goes into making a television episode.

BRief, brief glimpse of Sansa and Littlefinger together, sitting down at the tourney, in the making of material.

The behind the scene was giganticly orgasmic, or close to it anyway.

They have done a wonderful job on the costumes and armors. congrats. I love Loras armor that makes it look different yet not overly fantasy. It helps set the realistic tone.

All actors look really great, I also first wondered why the so white hairs but I found it funny, in a way it could make people think of elfish. And it definitely sets the targaerians apart as they ougth to be.

As of Tyrion's face I prefer it that way, like others say remember that him being a dwarf in that time already makes him look "ugly" to most others. And not putting too much make up surely will help Mr Dinklage to show his talent through and help with the humorous tone Tyrion often has. I don't want him to be like Elephant man. Remember Tyrion is one of our fave I don't want him to be grotesque.

Oh and Cersei looks fantastic...

Overally I really can't wait for the show (understatement).

I can already tell what my greatest worry will be for this series: it will get the Rome treatment. This series will probably prove to be too costly to produce and we will get short-changed as the series goes along. Hopefully the producers will keep what happened to Rome in mind.

The show is right in line with the rest of HBO's top-line dramas these days: about $45-50 million, give or take. Rome was twice as expensive. It's totally possible it'll bomb with subscribers and simply not have an audience. But if pulls in at least 2 million viewers to start with -- 3 would be better -- I think they'll chance a second season. *knocks on wood*

It's not like Dinklage is strikingly handsome or anything;

JungianQueen already mentioned this, but I think Dinklage is very attractive. I think I would have prefered him to be uglied up a bit. Not grotesque, but maybe just take the shine off him. Ultimately, however ...

I'm not too hung up on the appearances. As long as they're at least somewhat close, I'm much more concerned with the acting/story/etc.

I am more than happy with what I've seen so far. Can. Not. Wait.

I am so thrilled with everything I have seen so far. Especially with Ned, Robb, Catelyn and the Targaryens. Jon looks different than I imagined him considering the actor, but he's still awesome.

My only issue is that the Lannisters don't look golden enough. Tyrion I have no problem with, but Lena looked positively ashen blonde... Maybe it was the lighting.

I dunno. Dinklage is pretty darn attractive. Perhaps we'll just have to see how he handles Tyrion as an actor because Dinklage himself seems highly charismatic to me.

On the other hand, Tyrion has a certain charisma about him, that is undeniable.

I also think Dinklage is basically too cute to be Tyrion, but there was that one snippet of someone pulling a bag off his head with his hands tied, which is I persume after he's been kidnapped by Cat, and his expression was just so perfectly spot-on Tyrion that I don't mind anymore. It looks like it'll work, and thats what counts.

Do we actually see Cersei in any real footage? I think most of the time it was footage from behind the scenes (unless Baratheon is really drinking out of a styrofoam cup in the show). A lot of these colour issues can/will be tweaked in post production anyhow.

As for the cost I think a lot of it will be upfront. The armour for example is going to cost a lot (but it looks great and individual) but they can reuse that for a long time. Same goes for the other fantasy props and whatnot.

I loved it...really makes me look forward to seeing the show come alive next spring. Dinklage is much better looking than Tyrion is described, but it doesn't really matter because everyone thinking that Tyrion is ugly can easily be explained away by the dwarfism. Gregor looks amazing, Loras' armor is pretty hilarious, I was so excited to see Sansa, Arya, and Bran!

Quick question: I didn't recognize the KG - which stills are they in? Also, was the tall skinny guy at the start of the clip Viserys?

Quick question: I didn't recognize the KG - which stills are they in? Also, was the tall skinny guy at the start of the clip Viserys?

I didn't recognize them at first either, they are the armored horsemen with a weird helmet (3 "spijes"/waves). From the still the armor could look white under the sun but is definitely not white.

I didn't recognize them at first either, they are the armored horsemen with a weird helmet (3 "spijes"/waves). From the still the armor could look white under the sun but is definitely not white.

This guy? No wonder I didn't recognize them!

I've realized that that is probably Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime, arriving at Winterfell. I can't say I'm in love with the look, especially in the loss of the white. But it explains why he's showing up armored as Kingsguard, I guess: with no white cloaks, there's really nothing to connect him to the Kingsguard and yet set him apart (such as his habit of wearing Lannister colors and golden armor). So, he wears the armor, and will just act a prat.

OTOH, maybe it's some random extra as a Kingsguard... but I'm thinking not. I'll have to amend my teaser post, where I suggest that a blurry golden-haired guy arriving at Winterfell is perhaps Jaime.

red snow,

There's clearly one shot of Cersei in the trailer that's from filming, when she's walking into a room and some random guy bows to her. But many of the teaser scenes appear unnaturally dark, and I suspect it's because they wanted to unify the look across the scenes.

This guy? No wonder I didn't recognize them!

I dunno... when I saw that guy I immediately though of Bronze Yohn Royce and one of his sons perhaps... that doesn't strike me as anything resembling the Kingsguard attire.

Edit: But looking over the cast list, he doesn't appear to be listed. So I guess not.

I've realized that that is probably Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime, arriving at Winterfell. I can't say I'm in love with the look, especially in the loss of the white. But it explains why he's showing up armored as Kingsguard, I guess: with no white cloaks, there's really nothing to connect him to the Kingsguard and yet set him apart (such as his habit of wearing Lannister colors and golden armor). So, he wears the armor, and will just act a prat.

OTOH, maybe it's some random extra as a Kingsguard... but I'm thinking not. I'll have to amend my teaser post, where I suggest that a blurry golden-haired guy arriving at Winterfell is perhaps Jaime.

Are we sure those are Kingsguard? I think some people at WiC were going with the theory that those are Gold Cloaks (or, royal guards, or city watch, or whatever you might want to call them, since I can't tell if they actually have gold cloaks). That seemed like a reasonable theory to me, but I can't tell for sure.

Archived