Community - Season 2 [SPOILERS]

Brude

"And I'm Troy "Butt Soup" Barnes. What? That's my name."

Out of almost any other actor that would be ridiculously stupid. From Donald Glover it was just ridiculous.

"The campus is almost evenly divided. Keep in mind, the margin of error on this is 98%."

"Could be higher. We don't know how to do margins of error. We just talked to two people at the vending machine."

Some of the best ticker lines:

"Chicken finger shortage continues."

"Basketball team loses ball."

"Reports continue of mysterious 'Air Vent Monster'"

"Starburns: 'My name is Alex!'"

I LOVED the wicked burn against The Last Airbender!

Secret Service Agent: "I could give you warning for having a bootleg copy of The Last Airbender."

Abed: "Where were you a week ago?"

:lol:

eta: oh and Starburns quiting politics because it might taint his reputation as a drug dealer!

So I've started getting Season 1 DVDs through Netflix and the one thing it's made me realize is that those who think there's been a decline in quality season 2 are insane.

Like any show, it took Community a little while to find its voice (i.e.: how irreverent it can go, what it had in Troy and Abed, to give up on the Jeff and Britta Moonlighting thing it was trying to push most of Season 1 etc.) Not to say Season 1 wasn't funny, every episode had at least one laugh out loud funny moment or line so you can see the potential from episode 1. But it just took awhile for it to reach the kind of home run episodes we associate with season 1: Modern Warfare, Goodfellas, Christmas Episode where Jeff brawls with Anthony Michael Hall, The Debate, the pool playing episode etc. I'm fully willing to admit though that the second half of Season 1 ended with a string of absurdly great episodes that each built to its own uniquely awesome climax/set piece. Was like the succession of chapters at the end of ASOS, each one made you gasp for a different reason.

But I'd argue there's been home run episodes in season 2 that match the very best of season 1: Annie Chloroforming, KFC, Night School, AD&D, Trampoline, last Thursday's episode.

Really, the only rational reason I can come up with people being dissatisfied is the show is stepping out of its comfort zone from season 1 where every episode took place on campus, in the study room or in Senor Chang's classroom...whereas this season it's repeatedly gone off campus and has gotten into the heavier territory of the sometimes sad home lives of these characters (great moment this week where their back in the study room kinda wondering: What do we do now? It's been so long).

It's also, IMO, pushed the envelope a lot more and occasionally that leads to swing and misses like this season's Christmas episode (the only unfunny episode Dan Harmon's ever made IMO), but it's also gone to some interesting places and in the process has shown the show is really capable of anything in any given week.

Just find it funny people are so quick to pronounce the end of the "golden era" of a show that's only 1 and 1/2 years old especially as, IMO, it's still giving its A game week-in and week-out. This is the best show on TV and has been solidly since November 2009. My only complaint is the show needs to start doing some hour long episodes to explore some of these awesome concepts further. Too often feels like just as we're getting into something ridiculously awesome we're at the 22 minute mark and the show is wrapping up. *sigh*

So I've started getting Season 1 DVDs through Netflix and the one thing it's made me realize is that those who think there's been a decline in quality season 2 are insane.

Great post Jaime, I'm largely in agreement with you. Community is easily my favorite show on television. I've all but given away my tv, so annoyed with the stupidity of the medium in general (and a true hatred for anything Chuck Lorre creates) yet I've now watched every episode of Community at least 5 different times and it never gets old.

From before season 2 even started, Harmon was saying their plan was growing the Community world and breaking away from pure school-based episodes, and they've largely succeeded in incorporating the plan. Hell, up until... two weeks ago, I believe?... the entire study group hadn't managed to all sit together (in chairs!) at their study table. Not sure an episode went by last season when they weren't seated there together. The show has been evolving nicely.

If there's one change between seasons I haven't cared much for, it's a few of the characters' growth. While Jeff's lawyer dickishness was fun in the chloroform ep, it feels like the identity is becoming a bit more of a caricature. It's probably what makes the heartfelt make-ups each episode feel a bit forced. Jeff's being all snazzy or a jerk, disagreements happen, bitches hug it out in the end. Annie has shown a few hints of crazy, but it adds some reality to the character. Britta's been a bit silly but I think that role needed something less severe. Abed and Troy are fine, Shirley's been through the wringer with a pregnancy, a history of drinking, and then there's Pierce.

Pierce is an interesting character in that his change in attitude, having become the devil of the group, is directly a result of how he's been treated by his academic family. Though a lot of people think the character should have been booted from the group by now, I'd argue that no matter how poorly he's handling a situation, he's still forcing the group to come to terms with their own failings and shortcomings. He may as well be one of the professors at Greendale; his classes may suck, but he's still teaching everyone how to be a better version of themselves.

Just find it funny people are so quick to pronounce the end of the "golden era" of a show that's only 1 and 1/2 years old especially as, IMO, it's still giving its A game week-in and week-out. This is the best show on TV and has been solidly since November 2009.

Who has said the "golden era" has already come and gone? That person's opinion can bite it.

Even Community's worst episodes have at least one laugh out loud moment in it, and its best are some of the funniest in television history.

If there's one change between seasons I haven't cared much for, it's a few of the characters' growth. While Jeff's lawyer dickishness was fun in the chloroform ep, it feels like the identity is becoming a bit more of a caricature. It's probably what makes the heartfelt make-ups each episode feel a bit forced. Jeff's being all snazzy or a jerk, disagreements happen, bitches hug it out in the end.

That's one of my few complaints too. No matter what happens with the characters, the next episode Jeff is always back to Jeff Winger: Cool Douchebag.

Thinking about the paintball sequel that isn't going to happen, I realize now I'm kinda bummed. As there's no real way Paintball II could match the first one, it would have presented the perfect opportunity for over-the-top ridiculousness and the higher stakes drama every sequel strives for. An episode dedicated to mocking sequels, with (improved) horrible one-liners and catchphrases, new hot eye-candy study group members, new sidekicks, and totally unnecessary special effects that only distract you from the story. Hell, just imagine the opposite of the news ticker in the latest episode: instead of watching closely for minor gags, you actually have to draw your attention away from the gag (big show-down at the end, maybe?) just to hear something meaningful from one of the characters.

Edit: Oh shit!

TVLine has confirmed that “Modern Warfare Redux,” as we have tentatively dubbed it, is definitely in the works (as a Vulture interview hinted last week), and in fact it is going to act as the two-part finale to Community‘s already stellar second season.

But don’t expect a carbon copy of Season 1′s smash hit. Sources close to the show tell us that while they expect fans to identify the episode as a sequel to the first installment, it is meant to be its own entity with a much different premise — à la not the same half-hour “action flick” we laid witness to last year.

Thinking about the paintball sequel that isn't going to happen, I realize now I'm kinda bummed. As there's no real way Paintball II could match the first one, it would have presented the perfect opportunity for over-the-top ridiculousness and the higher stakes drama every sequel strives for. An episode dedicated to mocking sequels, with (improved) horrible one-liners and catchphrases, new hot eye-candy study group members, new sidekicks, and totally unnecessary special effects that only distract you from the story. Hell, just imagine the opposite of the news ticker in the latest episode: instead of watching closely for minor gags, you actually have to draw your attention away from the gag (big show-down at the end, maybe?) just to hear something meaningful from one of the characters.

Edit: Oh shit!

Spoiler tag, but it's all conjecture based on that link:

This has to be the western they mentioned in the scroller. So Annie vs Fake Annie in a paintball western. I can't say I expected that.

Season 1 is better for the sole reason that the show wasn't stale. Every single episode of this show starts from the exact some fucking point: Jeff's a douche, Britta's a hypocrite, Annies a goody two shoes who needs to lighten up, Troy's an idiot, Shirley's a prude, Pierce is an asshole and Abed is whatever the writers think internet nerds want that week. Every single episode.

There is no character growth, there is no continuity. The only times the show branches out are in say Troy's Birthday episode, where it simply isn't as funny because the writers seem to want to show idiot viewers that this group realistically would never, ever hang out together. That was the best part of the last episode, the study round table, how incredibly awkward it was. This group would and should never get together yet they are forced to by the writers. Why? Get the fuck rid of people (Pierce, as much as he's the next funniest after Troy), have characters change for once and actually stay that way for more than one episode.

Unfortunately this show jumped the Shark when Chang was revealed to not be a Prof. It is now simply an exercise in coming up with more and more extremely stupid ways of getting members of this false group together including such off shoots as Chang and the Dean.

Oh wait I guess I should add IMO to everything, apparently that is supposed to try and make it less condescending to someone of an opposite viewpoint. I for one won't miss it much when it gets cancelled this year. It had a good run, get something fresher please.

/snip

I read what you had to say. And I totally agree.

It seems S1 was there solely to set up the characters, so that there is no need for characterization in later seasons. I honestly thought that "Jeff goes back to law firm" episode was a blessing, because we see Jeff in his true element. But otherwise, these overly fragmented, episodic episodes become slightly irritating.

Sure, Modern Warfare was a cool episode - it was probably the first (IIRC) in a line of crazy episodes, and it was probably the best. Things got taken way, way too far with the zombie thing, the night class thing, and maybe even the spaceship thing (though I enjoyed it while it lasted, it will never be a re-seen). I am not even going to mention the horrors of the Christmas episode (which somehow sacrificed everything for characterization - on Abed mind you).

Push the boundaries sure, but maintain the balance. The Election episode was probably the best in the series - apart from its simple "Im sorry" ending (I thought Jeff would take his audition tape, turn it around, and crush Annie). Packed to the rim with humor, we see multiple personal interactions, a plotline that isnt ridiculously far fetched, sealed with some heart warmth.

I would LOVE to see a minor character centric episode (Dean, Starburns and Leonard). And Pierce needs to get kicked out of the study group - even if he is a great character (1. Troy, 2. Pierce)

Pierce is an interesting character in that his change in attitude, having become the devil of the group, is directly a result of how he's been treated by his academic family. Though a lot of people think the character should have been booted from the group by now, I'd argue that no matter how poorly he's handling a situation, he's still forcing the group to come to terms with their own failings and shortcomings. He may as well be one of the professors at Greendale; his classes may suck, but he's still teaching everyone how to be a better version of themselves.

Agree. What's interesting about Pierce in this rewatch is even in the earliest episodes you can see the roots of insecurity all the way back to episode 2. You can see how these things would flare up a year later, especially as he's feeling excluded.

Oh wait I guess I should add IMO to everything, apparently that is supposed to try and make it less condescending to someone of an opposite viewpoint. I for one won't miss it much when it gets cancelled this year. It had a good run, get something fresher please.

:lol:

Slurk, sometimes you come off so bitter. I couched that whole post in "IMO"s to show this was purely my viewpoint and not fact. I find it weird when people present opinion as fact on message boards, as though this is the only possible viewpoint. You called it the fourth funniest show on NBC Thursday Night which I wasn't buying, but wanted to see for myself if it was sharper season one and had lost something along the way. Ultimately determined it really hadn't, but I have been surprised by the amount of criticism of the show i'd seen in this thread this season. Clearly the blush is off the rose.

Anyway, your criticism makes me reflect on the impossibility of being a TV producer in the internet era. Whether you keep doing exactly as season 1, whether you change things up entirely...people are going to be upset with what you do. Here I am guessing why people could possibly be dissatisfied with what has been an incredibly funny season to me, and I'm guessing it's because the show gone off campus repeatedly and gotten into heavier subject matter for an essentially goofy show. And your primary complaint is that hasn't changed enough, that it's now stale. But honestly I'm not buying the lack of development of characters argument at all. Jeff's changed a ton since the beginning of season one...but he hasn't betrayed the core of his being. Really the group has evolved very naturally IMO, from the friendship of Troy and Abed to the comfort level with Jeff and Britta that feels like how groups kinda come together and you can see the characters who don't have that set role in the group reacting to it. I'm just not buying it - for a goofy show it seems to hit notes which ring true to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived