Community - Season 2 [SPOILERS]

Brude

Count me among those who love the claymation episode. I've laughed more in other episodes, but this one was still very funny and, I guess like the last episode, was more about a single character's development - Abed, of course. While some things might not have been revelations for us, they were for Abed, who is Aspergers. Through his own therapy session, he came to understand these characters (and they came to understand themselves) a bit better. By giving us things like Britta crying about this in claymation, rather than if it was her own acting, it kept it from being too tear-jerky and kept the goofiness factor at a high level. I thought the whole thing worked beautifully.

RC, I get what you're saying that a show, even a comedy, doesn't have to be ridiculously funny every time for it to be a good episode. But it seems counter-productive to use a silly gimmick like claymation to deliver a serious-tone episode. Community tried to balance silly and serious in this episode, rather than just deliver one or the other. I think they failed, but that's just how I feel about it.

And I have a HUGE soft-spot for claymation. The only Christmas show I watched growing up, every year, was Claymation Christmas.

Yeah to me this week felt like a swing and a miss. I admire the willingness of the show to go all out for a concept but the problem with this one was the execution. If you're limiting these awesome comedic actors to simple voice work for an episode you really have to have a winning reason to do so. A maudlin episode exploring the meaning of Christmas doesn't quite cut it. I mean I get it, it's a cute way of paying homage to another pop culture reference: in this case the Rudolph holiday specials. But I got the sense watching it that they had this idea they wanted to do a stop motion episode for Christmas time but without a clear idea of how to make it as funny and justify the conceit. Think they achieved the latter at the expense of the former.

If you're limiting these awesome comedic actors to simple voice work for an episode you really have to have a winning reason to do so.

I think that was a big part of the fail of the episode. A lot of the lines just fell flat. A big part of the comedy aspects, for someone like Troy at least, comes with his facial expression as he says a line.

Regardless, the episode might not have been funny, but it gets a pass because the show is consistently hilarious. I'll take one mostly unfunny episode if it means it's sandwiched between 10 episodes of awesome.

And so I go to watch it and my stupid channel has instead decided to show a one hour infomercial for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital.

And it's hard to get mad, because St. Jude's is incredible. But damn. Couldn't they have waited a week until re-runs? Or rescheduled Community and 30 Rock?

• 5 weeks later...

I about peed my pants when they mentioned Pierce having "Emmanuel In Space" on Blu-Ray. Krista Allen :drool:

I agree with Brown Jamie Lee Curtis.

It was a funny episode. Not the best ever, but it's good to have it back. And yeah, I apprciated that Theo Huxtable was in it. "Nice sweater." "Thanks, my Dad gave it to me." :lol:

Archived