NFL. vol 3

davos

The line of sight for most of these Standing Room Only tickets is negligible at best.

Only Cowboys fans would be that stupid twice.

I'm diehard about my team, but over a hundred dollars for a seat I'll never sit in, and why would your ass want to, but for commercial breaks has kept me from seeing an NFCwestbay game twice. And I'll go to a Giants or Sharks game anywhere. Even behind a concrete column.

1. The Party pass tickets are $29.

2. They don't sell them to every game. Usually opening game, Thanksgiving, and playoff games.

eta: Hmmm...they must have changed that this year, Bronn. They didn't last season. That actually is a pretty good pricing. I'd go just to tailgate and the atmosphere. Plus that scoreboard could be seen from space. Those that have obstructed views would watch the screen

I think the Cowboys should be credited for the Party Pass SRO tickets. Two hundred bucks for ten games and you still get to feel like you are part of the action.

When my brother goes to a Chargers or Padres game, he spends most of it standing in the smoking area anyway. He'd be all over this if you could get it in San Diego.

I think the Cowboys should be credited for the Party Pass SRO tickets. Two hundred bucks for ten games and you still get to feel like you are part of the action.

When my brother goes to a Chargers or Padres game, he spends most of it standing in the smoking area anyway. He'd be all over this if you could get it in San Diego.

They still have a smoking area at Petco? I couldn't find it the last time I went to SPC Park.

They still have a smoking area at Petco? I couldn't find it the last time I went to SPC Park.

The only one I knew of at RPC (Random Phone Company) is along the third base line behind (and only accessible to) the club area. Of course, I didn't make it to a game this season, so it might be gone.

I haven't been to Petco yet. But that was my experience at a recent Chargers game (two seasons ago) and many Padres games at Qualcomm over the years.

eta: Hmmm...they must have changed that this year, Bronn. They didn't last season. That actually is a pretty good pricing. I'd go just to tailgate and the atmosphere. Plus that scoreboard could be seen from space. Those that have obstructed views would watch the screen

Anyone who would pay to watch a screen in the company of others should just go to a bar and watch the game there.

The only one I knew of at RPC (Random Phone Company)

Your RPC must be the equivalent of my SPC (some phone company.) I'd say that we should consolidate, but I think the Giants fans have settled on "Willie Mays Park."

I understand if you wouldn't prefer that. Good luck this week.

Also, hahaha the Giants are totally going to win two games. Pfffft!! :)

Anyone who would pay to watch a screen in the company of others should just go to a bar and watch the game there.

I disagree heartily. You are still part of the overall game noise. You still feel your bones shiver when the crowd goes insane. You were still THERE. Especially for a teenager. When we were kids, we could get a General Admission ticket for the Padres games for a buck or three. Then we'd stand near the exit rows coming from the box seats and politely mooch ticket stubs from departing older folks.

I remember one game that went into extra innings (with a Padres comeback). We sat in the front row, over the Astros dugout, for seven innings. It helped a lot that we could walk to the games in under 30 minutes.

I disagree heartily. You are still part of the overall game noise. You still feel your bones shiver when the crowd goes insane.

Yeah, but if the screen misses the action, you don't get to see what made everyone bananas until replays. That has to kill immersion, right?

I disagree heartily. You are still part of the overall game noise. You still feel your bones shiver when the crowd goes insane. You were still THERE. Especially for a teenager. When we were kids, we could get a General Admission ticket for the Padres games for a buck or three. Then we'd stand near the exit rows coming from the box seats and politely mooch ticket stubs from departing older folks.

I remember one game that went into extra innings (with a Padres comeback). We sat in the front row, over the Astros dugout, for seven innings. It helped a lot that we could walk to the games in under 30 minutes.

This has been the case for almost every baseball, or hockey game I've been to.

The NFL teams I've seen in person, I've always wished I hadn't bothered.

I think the distinction should be made.

Yeah, but if the screen misses the action, you don't get to see what made everyone bananas until replays. That has to kill immersion, right?

At a 49ers or Raiders game, the only thing you can see is the screen.

Unless you pay fuck-tons to pay for dressing up in public as Darth Vader while watching the dark side lose.

Yeah, but you can't really see what happened live half the time when you are watching a game. You were watching the receiver and the DE hit the QB late. Or you were watching to see if the ref threw the flag for holding and missed the crushing tackle of the punt returner.

I can't speak for others, but when I watch a game live, I am more likely to be watching the wrong thing than the technical director in the TV truck.

It is a second class immersion, without a doubt. But a much more real experience than in some random sports bar. I would guess watching a Cowboys game from the Party Pass area would be at least as good as and almost certainly better than even the best Sports Bar. And you probably see the game a whole heck of a lot better than the guy in the last row in the top deck of the sides of the end zone.

Totally agree. I would pay thirty bucks for standing room in a heartbeat and probably be there every game.

Bronner, I disagree.

At an NFL game you can see everything from a distance. If you happen to be looking at it at the time. Much like a Civil War battle you don't know the history of.

A game of baseball, or a hockey tilt, you can see, in person, far more that the media representation can allow.

Off current topic, just want to say I am pretty stoked for Pit vs Bal this weekend. I have to find out if the tavern here is showing that game or another on Monday. If it's showing, I'll have to avoid scores and everything so I can watch it blissfully unsure of the Steelers' stomping.

Here. We. Go.

Last Week’s Record: 9-7

Overall Record: 28-20

Suicide/Survivor Pool Pick: 3-0 (Eagles, Ravens and Titans are unavailable)

Ravens v. Steelers – This is the last sign any other team has a prayer for the remainder of the season. If the Steelers start out 4-0 with a patch-work QB situation, the rest of the league should be afraid. Very afraid. I think the Ravens have the juice. They win by 6.

Broncos v. Titans: Let me set the stage for you last week. Its 4th down. The broncos are at the goal line with a short 1 to go. They want to stick it in, take a lead and make a commanding “We-are-not-losing-this-game” statement. So who do they give the ball to? That’s right: they give it to a guy who was such a good rusher for the Pats, we basically gave him and a pick away. Broncos are averaging less than 3 yards a rush, and SHOCKER Lawrence Maroney is not the answer! And the worst part? Josh McDaniels should have known that!

Bengals v Browns: Its such a rough game; the Browns have actually played good last week; the Bengals seemed to struggle with the horrible Panthers. I think this one could go either way, so I think we have to go to a few corollaries – avoid shaky QBs on the road; the Browns playing well, Bengals not so much, and I need to pick at least one upset. Going with the Browns.

Packers v. Lions: The Packers may not be this good, the Lions not that bad, but I really would not be picking against a fired u Pack team this week. The Pack is my Suicide/Survivor Pool Pick of the Week.

Saints at Panthers: Don’t suicide the Saints just yet because you will need them later on when they get into some tie-breaker games. The Panthers are horrid, but save the Saints until they play at NO. And is it too early to take bets on weather of not the Panthers will win a game this season?

49’ers at Falcons: I think right now, there is a discussion going on similar to the “ET v. Crush Groove” discussion in Dogma. Basically, Mike Singletary is the guy who got into an argument over “Who will be the better offensive coordinator: Mike Martz or Jimmy Raye”? Really?

Seahawks v. Rams: I don’t know. I have a problem with Pete Carroll being 3-1 and John Fox being 0-4 (after this week). At the same time, the goal is to play the Rams as often as possible.

Jets at Bills: Why can’t the Pats play the Bills… oh wait, that’s right…

Colts v. Jags: While you are watching this game, just try and remember the last time Peyton Manning threw an INT in the regular season game that mattered. The guy is a freak. Who the hell is Austin Collie anyway?

Texans at Raiders: God, make this season count for something with the Pats! Let them get a good draft pick from the Raiders. Not jumping off the Texans bandwagon just yet.

Cards at Chargers: The “resurgence” of the Chargers begins tonight! The build up, the media attention, the fluff pieces about Philip Rivers, and the crest of attention that will carry Norv Turner to another playoffs.

Redskins v. Eagles: My problem here is that I am not sure the Redskins are hitting their marks like the Eagles are hitting theirs. The Eagles are gelling really well, doing and saying all the right things, and making their points. The Skins? Apparently their into slavery if you beliebve everything in the media. And when was the last time Albert Heinsworth lied to us? I mean this week? How can you lie when you mouth is filled with Carmel-covered ice cream?

Bears v. Giants: Pretty much the same feelings as I have for the Eagles-Wash game only without slavery and fat, overpaid assholes. Because the skinny, overpaid asshole for the Bears is playing well. I think the line, btw, is artificially inflated to coax New Yorkers to bet like idiots. Bears. Roll.

Pats at Dolphins: In the immortal words of Al Swerengen, “Yes… it has fallen to this.” I cannot pick the Pats this week; my first time not picking them in, like, 10 years. Who CANNOT pass on the Pats? Who CANNOT run on them? Have you seen Brady’s road record since 2009? Not including the stat-padding TB game (played with the Pats as the away team in London), he is 1-7 (and so is Belichick). I did not make that up! The last time Brady won at Miami? 2007! In fairness, Pats DID defeat the Dolphins at Miami in 2008, BUT that marked the last time the Pats have beaten a team on the road when that team had a winning record (Miami was 6-4). The last time Brady did that? 2007 against the Giants. Let that sink in for a second. The Last time Tom Brady won a game on the road against a team with a winning record was DURING THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION! That was the same season the Lions won their last road game. Coincidence?

I have no faith in a team that cannot stop opposing teams and plays like ass on the road. Unless or until they give me reason to think they can win away games… I have to go with the bad guys. And this is not a reverse jinx. At all. I swear.

I've seen about half the Rams games so far. They are better than you think. I'm picking 'em.

Otherwise, I at least concede you have a good argument for your picks. Though I will dissent picking Donnie Mac going home to Flying Battery Stadium, the Bengals Defense to be the only good unit on either team and win for that, and the G-men to rediscover the pumpy things behind their ribcages.

The AFC North trench war should be the game of the day.

What's your survivor pick, Rock?

Packers. Its buried in their. I'll clear it up with an edit. My thought process is this: there are VERY few home teams that I would stake my life on this week; they could all lose and we could all think up legit scenarios on who that could happen. Even the Steelers could lose to a really rough Ravens team. The only home team that I feel GREAT about are the Falcons, but I also get these vibes of "when will Matt Ryan start throwing picks?" So you kinda have to go with an away team.

Who do YOU trust on the road? Me: Indy, New Orleans, and the Pack if they are playing a bad team (hold that thought).

Indy has not defeated the Jags at Jacksonville by more than a TD in their last 3 meetings; who needs that kind of worry? New Orleans is coming off a loss, but I really think you have to save them for the mid-season pick. The Pack? There is a legit argument to make that they are not very good. But going against the Lions? A team that is terrifyingly bad? That's an auto win, and if the Pack DO implode as the season wears on, this is a great game to take out the Pack early.

So, go with the Packers. And if you want to save them for later, go with the Falcons over an amazingly horrible 49'ers team (but I think the Falcons will stay good for some time so you may want to save them until they play the Panthers again).

Archived