NFL. vol 3

davos

We. Warned. Them. He's terrible. He taps too long behind the line of scrimmage waiting for a hole to open up. But because the holes that are opened close SO FAST, that ONLY works if you have incredible speed, which Maroney does not. So, most of the time, once the hole was opened, Laurence would see it open, run ... and go nowhere because a paid defensive player would hit the gap. Seriously, he's terrible. I know Bill Belichick has been under fire lately for some minor problems- or as we like to call them the 2006-2009 drafts - but he can still make teams make bad trades with us.

Things like this are what drives me nuts about McDaniels. You look at what the guy was able to do with Matt Cassel and Kyle Orton and you know he's got a great mind for the passing game (when the hell did Orton to Lloyd get to be a dominant QB to WR hook up? What universe is this?!) but when it comes to the running game he seems arrogantly clueless.

The best RB he's had in Denver was Peyton Hillis whom he shipped to Cleveland for a bag of magic beans. The second best RB he's had is Correll Buckhalter who averaged 5 yards a carry last year and showed some actual explosivness but still got half the carries as first round mediocrity, 3.8 YPC Knowshown Moreno. Knowshon gets injured and instead of turning to Buckhalter he trades for Lawrence Maroney a RB who McDaniels had coached before and presumably seen how this guy managed the near impossible feat of being an abject failure despite playing for the greatest offense in NFL history. He comes in and promptly averages 2 YPC against the famed run defense of the Colts and follows that up with 10 carries for 4 yards against the Titans. Awesome?

It's actually driving me a little insane this season how many coaches refuse to start their best guy in favor of the guy they brought in. It's a pure ego thing. It's why so many first round picks who can't play start in front of the sixth round pick who whoops their ass in practice every single day. If they want their players to do what's best for the team they need to swallow their ego and do the same thing.

For five minutes, it was Smith to Lloyd. Think about that.

Those five minutes caused Vinny Cerrato to wet himself with glee and ship over a 3rd and 4th rounder for Lloyd so really I try to think about that as little as possible.

It's actually driving me a little insane this season how many coaches refuse to start their best guy in favor of the guy they brought in. It's a pure ego thing. It's why so many first round picks who can't play start in front of the sixth round pick who whoops their ass in practice every single day. If they want their players to do what's best for the team they need to swallow their ego and do the same thing.

They don´t want to tell the owners they spent untold millions to draft useless guy on the 1st round.

Ken Whisenhunt:

"I think we're going to go without [a quarterback this week]. I think we're going to go with all Wildcat," Whisenhunt said Monday.

And after that:

"To be quite honest with you, I really don't think New Orleans is scared with who we play there at quarterback," Whisenhunt said.

I love when a coach says what we're all thinking.

They don´t want to tell the owners they spent untold millions to draft useless guy on the 1st round.

Yes, but is it better to show the owners they drafted a useless guy who is now costing them wins? The best coaches are the ones who know when to cut their losses and are serious when they say: "We'll play the best guys."

Yeah; as an example, look at Tony Ugoh. He was starting two years ago, first round pick - and now he's gone. Just like that. He didn't work out, they didn't waste good money with bad. Santonio Holmes is another example - he was gone when he was just too much trouble, and the Steelers assumed they'd be okay without him.

Admittedly, good teams can afford to just cut people like that because they are better than just one guy - but at the same time, they also save a lot of time and energy dealing with bad players that way.

From GRRM's Blog...

Both Jay Cutler and his backup Todd Collins knocked out of the game, leaving someone named "Caleb Hainie" as QB of the Bears. "Caleb Hainie" sounds like a character out of PETTICOAT JUNCTION, but actually he outplayed both Cutler and Collins in his brief stint. Even so, the game was in doubt well into the fourth quarter.

eta: Forgot to add my :lol:

The Steelers are going to miss Holmes, especially during the playoffs. The Jets robbed the Steelers in that trade.

They don't seem to miss him yet, even though they're using their fourth-string QB. I think Wallace will work out fine in Holmes's place.

Batch looked awful on Sunday. And Steelers really destroyed themselves in the fourth quarter. Three penalties on a three-and-out, from inside your own ten yard line?!

I console myself with the 3-1 record. Put a real QB in there and Sunday's game doesn't go down the same way.

They don't seem to miss him yet, even though they're using their fourth-string QB. I think Wallace will work out fine in Holmes's place.

Batch looked awful on Sunday. And Steelers really destroyed themselves in the fourth quarter. Three penalties on a three-and-out, from inside your own ten yard line?!

I console myself with the 3-1 record. Put a real QB in there and Sunday's game doesn't go down the same way.

It's possible that that suspension will actually work in our favor late in the season, since he's taking 4 games less punishment.

Archived