Batman 3 is titled "The Dark Knight Rises"

Xalinor

Hardy... I don't know. I'm always amazed that no matter how predominantly "white" or "European" something is to begin with, movie adaptations can take it one step further. I was pretty frustrated with Neeson as Ra's al Ghul as well, he was a character that first showed up in the 70's... and evidently the Batman franchise decides to be less diverse than then?

Maybe once I see the movie I'll feel totally differently and won't be able to imagine anyone else in the role... But it's obnoxious that "color-blind casting" is almost always used to justify casting white/American/British people in roles that were originally say, South American, and so rarely used to let our movie & television cast demographics resemble real life.

Not sure if this will make you angrier or at least feel that scales are being balanced with the bruhaha over the casting in Thor (and of Wilson Fisk in Daredevil). There's also Halle Berry's Catwoman... In that sense you have a point in that there will probably be no hype over an english guy playing a latino character whereas the reverse tends to generate controversy which is unfair from whatever angle you choose to preceive. The big difference i guess is that Bane simply wont be a latino character in Nolan's Batman. From what I've seen of Bane in comics his latino-ness only ever seemed to show in the occasional badly handled dialogue - visually he could be pretty much from anywhere.

Well, there you have it.

The entire franchise is doomed.

All the actors from the City of Gotham are booked solid for the next few years, so we just can't find them perfect fits for this movie.

This is all pretty funny, but its nothing I've ever said. My only point had nothing to do with whether the guy would be awesome in the movie, I suspect he will. The only thing I was saying that if somebody is to be considered 'perfect' for an adaptation of a role that we can only judge the person 'perfectness' by the iconic incarnation, in the case the comics, and as such that said person should probably be the same general ethnicity.

Its funny though, because I still remember the outrage when they announced the live action Akria movie, and The Last Airbender oh and some people about the Dothraki and such. That was kind of what I was thinking about when I mentioned Banes Hispanicness.

I think by "perfect" we mean that Hardy is an actor who could go toe-to-toe with Christian Bale, both in physical and mental sense.

Since that's Bane's only schtick, being the one who "broke" Batman, it seems like an ideal casting. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if they lost the wrestling mask and Venom injection entirely. Well, mask certainly. Venom, or some sort of physical stimulant might be pretty cool.

I still think they're going to do a bit of a character merge to make this similar to the "Prey" storyline. Which, interestingly enough, was followed by "Venom."

Yeah this is all fine, and I get it. :grouphug:

I think Anne Hathaway could be a pretty fantastic Cat Women... she's not someone I ever would have mentally connected on my own to the role, but she can do gravitas (Rachel Getting Married) and imo she can def do sexy... I do wonder about Hathaway's ability to bust out a lot of mystery or intrigue, but I at the same time I can't think of many movies where she wasn't at least as good as the part.

Hardy... I don't know. I'm always amazed that no matter how predominantly "white" or "European" something is to begin with, movie adaptations can take it one step further. I was pretty frustrated with Neeson as Ra's al Ghul as well, he was a character that first showed up in the 70's... and evidently the Batman franchise decides to be less diverse than then?

Maybe once I see the movie I'll feel totally differently and won't be able to imagine anyone else in the role... But it's obnoxious that "color-blind casting" is almost always used to justify casting white/American/British people in roles that were originally say, South American, and so rarely used to let our movie & television cast demographics resemble real life.

Yeah I guess I noticed less with Ra's because in my mind he was David Warner to me growing up.

The Knightfall story arc included a shitload of minor (and not so minor) villains, as well as various supporting characters, masked and not, including a new Robin, Nighthawk and Azrael. The Nolans don't want Robin, so I wonder who else will be cut out from the plot. I hope they keep the opening scene though. Arkham Asylum mass breakout mmmmmmm.

The Knightfall story arc included a shitload of minor (and not so minor) villains, as well as various supporting characters, masked and not, including a new Robin, Nighthawk and Azrael. The Nolans don't want Robin, so I wonder who else will be cut out from the plot. I hope they keep the opening scene though. Arkham Asylum mass breakout mmmmmmm.

I'm not sure that Knightfall will be the story they are following. If they do though, I suspect there'd have to be some heavy streamlining. They'd also have to at least introduce Asrael as a possible replacement for the injured Bruce Wayne, unless they had Bane replace Batman and Bruce has to undergo a movie training montage to get out of his batwheelchair.

The big difference i guess is that Bane simply wont be a latino character in Nolan's Batman. From what I've seen of Bane in comics his latino-ness only ever seemed to show in the occasional badly handled dialogue - visually he could be pretty much from anywhere.

True. This is Bane without the mask. He doesn't really scream Antonio Banderas. And it turns out Bane's dad was a blond Englishman, so... yeah.

The biggest challenge is gonna be to make this guy compelling. Even with the whole evil Batman shtick, Bane ain't really one of the "greats". He doesn't have any truly good stories out there (don't mention Knightfall, that's long and boring and corporate). He's kind of like Wonder Woman. People know him, and he did break Batman as he likes to mention in every third sentence, but that's it.

Actually I don't think people DO know him. Not unless they know recentish comic books well. The guys a nobody. He's below Scarecrow as a Batman villain.

Ultimately, I think all the Nolans are gonna take of Bane is the name and the idea of a physically strong criminal involved in the drug trade who fights well.

Which is why I was thinking Bane too way back right after TDK was released. Bane is an easy fit for Nolan's vision of Batman since you can easily strip the weird stuff that wouldn't fit out of his character.

Actually I don't think people DO know him. Not unless they know recentish comic books well. The guys a nobody. He's below Scarecrow as a Batman villain.

Ultimately, I think all the Nolans are gonna take of Bane is the name and the idea of a physically strong criminal involved in the drug trade who fights well.

Which is why I was thinking Bane too way back right after TDK was released. Bane is an easy fit for Nolan's vision of Batman since you can easily strip the weird stuff that wouldn't fit out of his character.

I think he will be a muscled due who fights well, but also keep the kernel of the story of abused prisoners. In other words, I think he will have been experimented on against his will, giving him an anti-government stance.

Actually I don't think people DO know him.

As a non-comics reader, the first I heard of Bane was in Lego Batman.

Basically, if the villain wasn't in the Adam West series (which was repeated in the early 90s in the UK), or appeared in Batman Begins or The Dark Knight, then I really only know them from Lego Batman. Mad Hatter, Man-Bat, Killer Croc, Clayface - my only knowledge of them is in block form.

As a non-comics reader, the first I heard of Bane was in Lego Batman.

Basically, if the villain wasn't in the Adam West series (which was repeated in the early 90s in the UK), or appeared in Batman Begins or The Dark Knight, then I really only know them from Lego Batman. Mad Hatter, Man-Bat, Killer Croc, Clayface - my only knowledge of them is in block form.

Well, that is one of the better representations of Batman mythology out there. :D

I get all my comics knowledge from "Batman: The Animated Series". Bane was in that, but I don't remember if he was Hispanic. He didn't have much of a personality though, so the writers could theoretically do anything they wanted with him as long as he was still physically more powerful than Batman and not, say, the new Robin or something.

So earlier I ranted about Anne Hathaway getting the role, and advised I thought Mila Kunis would be perfect for the role. Since then I was Black Swan, which featured Mila Kunis, and have gained some knowledge about her.

One of the actors said in black swan that Mila's dancing looked effortless, and that also describes her acting. She makes it look so easy and natural, like she really is embodying the part. Even in little scenes that are altogether too short to base an opinion on her acting ability on she ignites. She was acting alongside veteran Natalie Portman it I can easily say she matched her. One second Mila was cool, sweet, and collected, the next she was Queen Cersei.

Another interesting thing about the movie is that Natalie Portman is easily one of the most naturally beautiful women I've ever seen and she looks like crap in it, but she acts very well.

He doesn't have any truly good stories out there (don't mention Knightfall, that's long and boring and corporate). He's kind of like Wonder Woman. People know him, and he did break Batman as he likes to mention in every third sentence, but that's it.

While Knightfall may have been DC's attempt to sell more comics, I loved KnightsEnd, when Bruce trained to get his skills back and fought Jean Paul to reclaim the mantle of the bat.

True. This is Bane without the mask. He doesn't really scream Antonio Banderas. And it turns out Bane's dad was a blond Englishman, so... yeah.

The biggest challenge is gonna be to make this guy compelling. Even with the whole evil Batman shtick, Bane ain't really one of the "greats". He doesn't have any truly good stories out there (don't mention Knightfall, that's long and boring and corporate). He's kind of like Wonder Woman. People know him, and he did break Batman as he likes to mention in every third sentence, but that's it.

Bane is awesome in Secret Six though.

I'd never heard about Bane until this thread. Seriously most people won't care who the villain is.

It's true, I didn't know of Scarecrow or Ra's Al Ghul until Batman Begins. I didn't care I still was going to see it. I didn't know of Bane until this thread I thought but then I found out he was in the monstrosity that was Batman & Robin.

It's true, I didn't know of Scarecrow or Ra's Al Ghul until Batman Begins. I didn't care I still was going to see it. I didn't know of Bane until this thread I thought but then I found out he was in the monstrosity that was Batman & Robin.

I hadn't actually realized that was Ra's Al Ghul.

Archived