The Height Hierarchy

MightilyOats

Dunk was stated as being 6' 11" in the Mystery Knight, which was in 212; when he was 19 or 20. It's possible that he could have gotten taller though, but if he did it wouldn't have been much. Clarence Crabb is a mythical figure, so he should probably not be included.

Also, Greatjon is as tall as Hodor but wider, and Jon was taller than Robb when they parted ways but somewhat skinnier. However, Joffrey was taller than both of them at the time and Robb is stated to have had grown somewhat over the course of the war; so he could have caught up. I'm not sure if Martin has given a specific height for Tyrion, but I believe he has stated that he is shorter than Peter Dinklage. Garlan Tyrell can be presumed to be the same height as Renly if he is able to fit into his armor. Finally, Osmund Kettleblack is 6' 6"; so that's somebody worth adding.

I'll make a big list of character heights, most of them won't be their exact size because we don't know it but i'll go with what seems good from what we know.

Gregor Clegane - 7'8" ( He's closer to 8 feet than to 7. )

Hodor - 7'

Greatjon 6'10 ( I don't remember if he was told to be as tall as Hodor or just close to his height. )

SmallJon - 6'11 ( Was he a bit taller or a bit higher than his father ? )

Andrik - 6'10 ( He's said to be taller than Victarion. )

Victarion - 6'8 ( He's said to be towering over every other men in the Iron Islands besides Andrik. )

Sandor Clegane - 6'8" ( Taller than Robert )

Dunk - 6'8" ( I didn't read the D&E books yet, but i heard he's reallt tall. )

Robert Baratheon - 6'6"

Brienne of Tarth - 6'5" ( Said to be a bit shorter than Robert. )

Stannis Baratheon - 6'3" ( Described as really tall, towers over Jon. )

Renly Baratheon - 6'2" ( Described as tall )

Jaime Lannister - 6'2" ( Described as tall )

Eddard Stark - 5'10" ( Never described as tall nor short so i'll go with that. )

Jon Snow - 5'9" ( As of ADwD, i put him a bit shorter than Ned just because thats how i see it. )

Robb Stark - 5'8" ( At time of death, was he taller than Jon ? All i remember is he was a bit larger. )

Sansa - 5'6" ( Described as a tall girl. )

Arya - 4'8" ( Is she small or just skinny ? )

Tyrion - 4'4" ( Do we know his height ? I put 4'4" because it seems like a normal dwarf height. )

Also, what are the heights of the creatures/animals ?

Giants - On average 10' to 12' IIRC.

Wun Wun - 14' ( Was he as tall or taller than Mag

Mag The Mighty - 14' i think

Direwolves - 5' ? With the head of course, does that seem right ?

Dany's dragons - 4' or 4'6" at the shoulder maybe ? I know they are big, IIRC they aren't that tall

Feel free to correct me on this. I know i forgot some characters but i might add some later.

Correction regarding the the Umbers. The Greatjon is 7 feet tall. "As tall as Hodor but twice as wide."

His son "threatens to overtop him", meaning that he is almost as tall or at most equal to his father. Threatens to overtop means that you ALMOST exceed him in height.

As far as we know, the Greatjon is the second largest man we have been introduced to in Westeros, after the Mountain.

Hodor equals him in height but not in size and strength. The Smalljon, Left and Right follow just behind him in height, with Andrik the Unsmiling close behind them.

Victarrion and Sandor Clegane are the next step down at around 6 foot 7 or 6 foot 8.

Then you get to the Robert Baratheon level of around 6 foot 6.

Major POV Characters heights in my head, as of their latest apperance (I normally don't use feet and inches, but I'll try anyway).

Eddard Stark: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Catelyn Stark: 5'8", ca 173 cm.

Sansa Stark: 5'7", ca 170 cm.

Arya Stark: 4'11", ca 150 cm.

Brandon Stark: 4'2", ca 127 cm.

Jon Snow: 5'11", ca 180 cm.

Theon Greyjoy: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Cersei Lannister: 5'8", ca 173 cm.

Jaime Lannister: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Tyrion Lannister: 4'1", ca 125 cm.

Daenerys Targaryen: 5'3", ca 160 cm.

Davos Seaworth: 5'10", ca 178 cm.

Brienne Tarth: 6'6", ca 198 cm.

Samwell Tarly: 5'11", ca 180 cm.

Minor POV Characters heights in my head, as of their latest apperance (I normally don't use feet and inches, but I'll try anyway).

Asha Greyjoy: 5'9", ca 175 cm.

Victarion Greyjoy: 6'8", ca 204 cm.

Aeron Greyjoy: 6'5", ca 195 cm.

Barristan Selmy: 6'2", ca 188 cm.

Jon Connington: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Arys Oakheart: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Arianne Martell: 5'3", ca 160 cm.

Quentyn Martell: 5'9", ca 175 cm.

Areo Hotah: 6'2", ca 188 cm.

Melisandre: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Other notable characters heights in my head, as of their latest apperance (I normally don't use feet and inches, but I'll try anyway).

Robb Stark: 5'10", ca 178 cm.

Benjen Stark: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Roose Bolton: 5'11", ca 180 cm.

Ramsay Bolton: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Wyman Manderly: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Rickard Karstark: 6'2", ca 188 cm.

Greatjon Umber: 7'0", ca 213 cm.

Smalljon Umber: 6'11", ca 210 cm.

Mors Umber: 6'6", ca 198 cm.

Hother Umber: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Maege Mormont: 5'5", ca 165 cm.

Dacey Mormont: 5'11", ca 180 cm.

Alysanne Mormont: 5'5", ca 165 cm.

Jeor Mormont: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Jorah Mormont: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Hodor: 7'0", ca 213 cm.

Balon Greyjoy: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Euron Greyjoy: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Rodrik Harlaw: 5'10", ca 178 cm.

Dagmer: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Andrik: 6'9", ca 206 cm.

Tywin Lannister: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Kevan Lannister: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Lancel Lannister: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Lyle Crakehall: 6'7", ca 201 cm.

Addam Marbrand: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Harys Swyft: 5'9", ca 175 cm.

Gregor Clegane: 7'11", ca 241 cm.

Sandor Clegane: 6'7", ca 201 cm.

Edmure Tully: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Tytos Blackwood: 6'3", ca 191 cm.

Hoster Blackwood: 6'11", ca 210 cm.

Yohn Royce: 6'7", ca 201 cm.

Eddison Tollett: 5'11", ca 180 cm.

Petyr Baelish: 5'6", ca 168 cm.

Viserys Targaryen: 5'10", ca 178 cm.

Godry Farring: 6'5", ca 195 cm.

Robert Baratheon: 6'6", ca 198 cm.

Stannis Baratheon: 6'2", ca 188 cm.

Selyse Baratheon: 6'2", ca 188 cm.

Renly Baratheon: 6'2", ca 188 cm.

Mace Tyrell: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Garlan Tyrell: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Loras Tyrell: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Margaery Tyrell: 5'6", ca 168 cm.

Olenna Tyrell: 5'1", ca 155 cm.

Randyll Tarly: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Oberyn Martell: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Archibald Yronwood: 6'6", ca 198 cm.

Gerris Drinkwater: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Shadrich: 5'2", ca 157 cm.

Pypar: 5'7", ca 170 cm.

Grenn: 6'4", ca 193 cm.

Dywen: 5'11", ca 180 cm.

Bedwyck: 5'0", ca 152 cm.

Emmett: 6'1", ca 185 cm.

Mance Rayder: 6'0", ca 183 cm.

Styr: 6'2", ca 188 cm.

Tormund: 5'7", ca 170 cm.

Ygritte: 5'3", ca 160 cm.

Val: 5'8", ca 173 cm.

The Lord of Bones: 5'9", ca 175 cm.

Varys: 5'10", ca 178 cm.

Daario Naharis: 6'0", ca 183 cm

Belwas: 6'4", ca 193 cm.

Drogo: 7'0", ca 213 cm.

Those are the ones I come to think right of the top of my head...

Now, to explain my reasoning: I'm a swede, and the average height (amongst ethnic swedes at least) is quite tall (ca 182 cm, or not quite 6'0"), hence why I don't think men in the 178-190 range is uncommon. Also, some people seem to be under the impression that the men of the middle ages were much shorter than they are today... that's a myth. In between the years 900 and 1100 they were about 5'8" (173 cm) or even taller, and that's a number based on commoners, in a time were nutrition and warfare took it's toll on a mans growth. Had they been well fed, like most nobles, knights and sometimes even men-at-arms are in this series, well, then they would grow taller (since height is genetic and mainly limited by nutrition and the like). The lowest average height is during the 17th century and 18th century, when men on average were 5'5", or 165 cm tall. Before that though, they were several inches taller, and I doubt that 6'7" or 200 cm men were an extraordinary sight, particularily when said man is a knight or noble. Men like Gregor Clegane have always been extraordinary though, since he's not just incredibly tall, but insanely muscular as well.

• 1 month later...

Andrik is the tallest ironborn. Even Victarion described him as a giant. Victarion comes after him. Asha is a tall woman but she had to stand on her toes to kiss Victarion's cheek. I bet Victarion did not stand like an oaf and bowed his head to give Asha few extra inches of lip range.

Drogo was a head taller than the tallest man in Illyrio's party where Jorah was also present.

By the way, there is a proposed height scale like this. It looks very accurate but that Ghost is impossible.

Direwolves are said to be twice the size of normal wolves. That does not mean they are twice the height of them. When Ghost returned to Jon in ADwD, Jon said he was as heavy as him. Jon is not a large person. I think Ghost was 75kg or so. The Ghost in the scale however looks like at least 300 kg.

• 4 weeks later...

Hierarchy of tall characters:

Gregor Clegane: 7'10"+

Greatjon Umber 7'+

Sandor Clegane/Hodor 6'10"

Robert/Brienne: 6'6" (canonical height for both)

Renly/Stannis/Jaime: Pegged these guys at 6'2"-6'4", tall but not abnormally tall, it would also make the comment about Jaime being twice Tyrion's size roughly accurate, as I always pictured him as 3'5" or around there (we know he is shorted than dinklange who is 4'5")

Andrik is the tallest ironborn. Even Victarion described him as a giant. Victarion comes after him. Asha is a tall woman but she had to stand on her toes to kiss Victarion's cheek. I bet Victarion did not stand like an oaf and bowed his head to give Asha few extra inches of lip range.

Drogo was a head taller than the tallest man in Illyrio's party where Jorah was also present.

By the way, there is a proposed height scale like this. It looks very accurate but that Ghost is impossible.

Direwolves are said to be twice the size of normal wolves. That does not mean they are twice the height of them. When Ghost returned to Jon in ADwD, Jon said he was as heavy as him. Jon is not a large person. I think Ghost was 75kg or so. The Ghost in the scale however looks like at least 300 kg.

The closest thing to a size description we get is the direwolves' mother being larger than the pony Bran was, so an adult male werewolf being comparable in size to ahorse is not out of the question, though most references to them gives me the impression that they are in the size range of large felines. It is possible they haven't reached their full size yet.

Dunk judges Inchfield to be around 6'7 yet everyone comments how Dunk has at least a couple inches over him

Dunk was 7 ft. less an inch when Aemon measured his height. But it is possible that he grew up a little after that and became 7 ft. Lady Rohanne noted that he was 7 ft.

• 7 months later...

I had to search for this thread again after someone posted a post at ASOAIF University about Sandor's height and build where they stated he was almost 7' (which is not true).

Hierarchy of tall characters:

Gregor Clegane: 7'10"+

Greatjon Umber 7'+

Sandor Clegane/Hodor 6'10"

Robert/Brienne: 6'6" (canonical height for both)

Renly/Stannis/Jaime: Pegged these guys at 6'2"-6'4", tall but not abnormally tall, it would also make the comment about Jaime being twice Tyrion's size roughly accurate, as I always pictured him as 3'5" or around there (we know he is shorted than dinklange who is 4'5")

Sandor is shorter than Hodor, and only a bit taller than Brienne. He can't be taller than 6'8" IMO. Renly and Jaime can't be 6'4" since Brienne is noticeably taller than them, and a two inch difference is not that significant.

I'll make a big list of character heights, most of them won't be their exact size because we don't know it but i'll go with what seems good from what we know.

Gregor Clegane - 7'8" ( He's closer to 8 feet than to 7. )

Hodor - 7'

Greatjon 6'10 ( I don't remember if he was told to be as tall as Hodor or just close to his height. )

SmallJon - 6'11 ( Was he a bit taller or a bit higher than his father ? )

Andrik - 6'10 ( He's said to be taller than Victarion. )

Victarion - 6'8 ( He's said to be towering over every other men in the Iron Islands besides Andrik. )

Sandor Clegane - 6'8" ( Taller than Robert )

Dunk - 6'8" ( I didn't read the D&E books yet, but i heard he's reallt tall. )

Robert Baratheon - 6'6"

Brienne of Tarth - 6'5" ( Said to be a bit shorter than Robert. )

Stannis Baratheon - 6'3" ( Described as really tall, towers over Jon. )

Renly Baratheon - 6'2" ( Described as tall )

Jaime Lannister - 6'2" ( Described as tall )

Eddard Stark - 5'10" ( Never described as tall nor short so i'll go with that. )

Jon Snow - 5'9" ( As of ADwD, i put him a bit shorter than Ned just because thats how i see it. )

Robb Stark - 5'8" ( At time of death, was he taller than Jon ? All i remember is he was a bit larger. )

Sansa - 5'6" ( Described as a tall girl. )

Arya - 4'8" ( Is she small or just skinny ? )

Tyrion - 4'4" ( Do we know his height ? I put 4'4" because it seems like a normal dwarf height. )

Also, what are the heights of the creatures/animals ?

Giants - On average 10' to 12' IIRC.

Wun Wun - 14' ( Was he as tall or taller than Mag

Mag The Mighty - 14' i think

Direwolves - 5' ? With the head of course, does that seem right ?

Dany's dragons - 4' or 4'6" at the shoulder maybe ? I know they are big, IIRC they aren't that tall

Feel free to correct me on this. I know i forgot some characters but i might add some later.

No way is Tyrion 4'4". That's really tall for a dwarf - like Peter Dinklage, who is 4'5" (135 cm), and GRRM has said Peter is not just much better-looking but also about a foot taller than book!Tyrion.

Dunk is almost/about 7'.

Brienne is about the same height as Robert, but a bit shorter than Sandor.

Robert was 6'6" (198 cm) so that ought to be Brienne's height. I wager Sandor is 6'7" or so (200 cm). Renly and Jaime I would put at 6'2" (188 cm) or 6'3" (190 cm). Both are described as tall, but not like Brienne, who is described by Catelyn as being a hand taller than Renly.

I think Tyrion is taller than 3'5" (104 cm) though. In a clash of Kings he is described as being the same height as Tommen. Tommen was seven or eight years old at the time, and the average height for a boy in those ages is 4'0" (122 cm) and 4'2" (127 cm), respectively. My bet is that Tyrion is about 120 cm (3'11"). Or perhaps an inch or two shorter than that. And yes, far uglier than Pete Dinklage.

I've always imagined the characters heights to be like this:

Mountain 8 feet tall (approx)

Hodor 7'1

Greatjon 7'0

Smalljon 7'0

Victarion 6'8

Hound 6'8

Robert 6'6

Brienne 6'6

Stannis 6'4

Renly 6'3

Jaime 6'2

Tywin 6'0

Loras 5'11

Ned 5'9

Jon 5'8

Robb 5'7

Cersei 5'6

LF 5'5

Tyrion 3'10

Skinnier? Yes. Taller? Doubtful. Robb is the only of the two ever described as being tall.

When was Robb described as tall? He was shorter than his mom IIRC.

House Stark

Ned: 6'0

Catelyn: 5'8

Robb: 5'7

Jon: 5'8

Sansa: 5'5

Arya: 4'10

Bran: 4'8

Rickon: 3'10 Complete guess.

Benjen: 6'1

House Tully

Edmure: 6'0

Roslin: 5'2

Hoster: 6'2

Brynden: 6'3

House Arryn:

Robert: 4'2

Lysa: 5'7

Jon: 6'2

House Greyjoy

Balon: 6'1

Asha: 5'8

Theon: 6'0

Euron: 6'1

Victarion: 6'7

Aeron: 6'0

House Lannister

Tywin: 6'3

Jaime: 6'4

Cersei: 5'8

Tyrion: 4'0

Kevan: 6'3

Joffrey: 6'0

House Baratheon

Robert: 6'6

Stannis: 6'5

Renly: 6'5

Shireen: 4'8

House Tyrell

Mace: 6'3

Garlan: 6'3

Loras: 5'10

Margaery: 5'7

Olenna: 5'0

House Martell

Doran: 5'8

Oberyn: 6'0

Arianne: 5'2

Quentyn: 5'6

Varys: 5'10

Littlefinger: 5'6

Robert was 6'6" (198 cm) so that ought to be Brienne's height. I wager Sandor is 6'7" or so (200 cm). Renly and Jaime I would put at 6'2" (188 cm) or 6'3" (190 cm). Both are described as tall, but not like Brienne, who is described by Catelyn as being a hand taller than Renly.

I think Tyrion is taller than 3'5" (104 cm) though. In a clash of Kings he is described as being the same height as Tommen. Tommen was seven or eight years old at the time, and the average height for a boy in those ages is 4'0" (122 cm) and 4'2" (127 cm), respectively. My bet is that Tyrion is about 120 cm (3'11"). Or perhaps an inch or two shorter than that. And yes, far uglier than Pete Dinklage.

You know those weights don't make sense considering they are/were battle hardened warriors. If Robert was 6'6 198 he would be pencil thin. I'm 6'3 178 and people consider me anorexic.

Archived