The Ashes 2010/11

Stubby

Well tea break time and Hussey and Haddin have stolen the show. Double for Mr Cricket?

Falls just short, and Australia all out - as I feared the tail goes without making any sort of contribution. Not that it really matters in this case - probably a good thing they got out cheaply so they can have a few overs at the English openers before the day is out - but in the future Tests I think it will place a bit more strain on the top and middle order. If Haddin or Hussey hadn't made those scores the rest would have followed without adding much more.

Hussey getting 195 is especially bad for England as he was the guy under the pump. Now with a massive score out of the way he'll be a much better batsman with more confidence in the next few Tests, they really would have wanted to keep him under pressure through the series. Same thing with Siddle and his 6 wickets.

There are still a few Australian players that will be question marks - Johnson and North in particular, and so far England have done a good job keeping on top of them.

There are still a few Australian players that will be question marks - Johnson and North in particular' date=' and so far England have done a good job keeping on top of them[/quote']

Those two are certainly being carried thus far

God I hate cricket.

Pshaw, early days yet dude! Might be a few showers and besides, it didn't look like there were any gremlins in the pitch. I don't think this match is yet going to be automatically closed out.

Besides, it's a 5 test series, and it was proven in 2005 that the team that wins the First Test doesn't necessarily win it all. ;)

EDITED: Not that I'm assuming a win, btw. Weather forecast for Brisbane is for shower or two the next couple of days.

Awesome from Mr. Cricket. He has arguably had the most pressure of any of the incumbents to maintain their spot. He is by far the oldest of anyone in the team with pressure on their spot (pressure = Johnson, North). Just such a wonderful innings. Loved those pull shots. And Haddin. He was not under direct pressure before this game but he wouldv'e been really keen to perform well. After missing the tour of India where Tim pain did so well and considering the derth of other good keeper/batsmen going around he wouldv'e really wanted to asserte himself as Australia's best keeper/batsmen and he did so with aplomb.

The openers did alright, the ever reliable Katman (even when injured) played well for half a ton. Watson was Watson. Ponting looked to tentative. Almost like he just wasn't going to hook but that tempered the rest of his game. Unfortunatly it appears his batting is on the decline but I have to stand up for his Captaincy. While I don't think he is one of the few great Australian Captain's I still believe he is a very good skipper. No other Captain in the history of the game has had to deal with such a dramtic loss of CHAMPIONS (Langer Hayden, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath (awesome list)). And he's done alright.

North is in trouble.

And Clarke. He should go and catch up with Simon Prestigiacom. As much as I hate Collingwood his effort to say he wasn't fit was incredible. For all the uninitiated he put his hand up and said he wasn't quite fit to play in the AFL Grand Final (the biggest sporting event in the whole enitre wide world) and his team ended up winning the thing). Clarke is a selfish little arrogant twat. He wasn't anywhere near fit and should not have played. I would pay good money to see him and the Katman in a boxing ring :box: :box:

And Johnson but he'll take wickets tomorrow and be alright.

The tail is a lot better than it showed today. Doherty impressed again. Very early days and we've had many spinners who've looked good in their first few games but we've got another and hopefully he might be the one able to hold his spot in the team.

I'll stick by 4-0 but I'm really thinking 5-0.

On un-ashes realted news if Brad Hodge doesn't play in the world cup next year the selectors should all be jailed for life. No Parole. No good behaivour. Life.

Lunch and time to go to bed.

If I wake up and we've collapsed i'm gonna be :bang:

Good stuff from England. This match is probably now headed for a draw - showers might still be around and it's clear that neither the pitch nor the Aussie bowling attack holds too much danger for a deep England batting lineup.

I guess it's Cook's turn to do a Hussey. Hussey was under pressure and the English will have wanted to keep him down. Same thing with the Aussies and Cook, he didn't have a great tour last time around and the Australians would have wanted to continue in that, but he now has a couple of half centuries tucked under his belt and can bat confidently the rest of the tour. The main question marks left in the teams are Pietersen (I'm sure he'll score at some point soon) and Johnson (who I'm not so sure about).

Johnson is currently having a nightmare of a match. No wickets (and went for plenty at a high rate), no runs (19-ball duck) and he dropped a reasonably easy catch this morning. If he does badly in the next match as well, the selectors are probably going to think about putting Bollinger in for Johnson. The only problem is that it weakens an already-thin tail, as Doherty would be at 8 and Siddle at 9, which is definitely at least one spot too high for each of them.

England not doing too badly at lunch;

however their concentration after a break is suspect.

Much easier now for England to see this out. If they can score a total of 450 (currently at 0/157 that seems pretty likely) then Australia will have to chase 200, there won't be enough time left in the game. Once they start forming a lead, any more runs are going to take extra time for Australia to chase down, so they're almost already there in terms of getting the game safe.

Very well played by the England batsmen today. I tend to forget that Cook is only 25. With 14 tons under his belt already he looks set to make a shitload more. His patience in this innings has been excellent.

The Aussie bowlers were, IMO, too short for the majority of the day. The only exception was a few overs of good pitched-up stuff with the new ball by Hilfenhaus.

Very well played by the England batsmen today. I tend to forget that Cook is only 25. With 14 tons under his belt already he looks set to make a shitload more. His patience in this innings has been excellent.

The Aussie bowlers were, IMO, too short for the majority of the day. The only exception was a few overs of good pitched-up stuff with the new ball by Hilfenhaus.

Well, this one's going to turn out to be a draw. A fair outcome in the end given the gargantuan England batting effort today, but Australia will rue the fact that a Hussey 195, Siddle hat-trick and first innings lead of 221 was essentially for nothing. With the benefit of hindsight, though, it was always going to be tough to get a win. I mentioned earlier that Australia 'got lucky' with Siddle's hat-trick and that I expected the England lineup to churn out some consistently bigger scores than the Australian one and it looks like that normal service has resumed. The pitch is harmless and the Aussie bowling attack lacks bite (Siddle's hat-trick aside), especially with Johnson in such woeful form.

I expect Bollinger is going to be in the selection mix and I'm pretty sure that at some point he's going to play in this series.

Archived