The NFL Thread 10

Stone-Made-Soft

MNF sucked for the most part. A few points:

• I was glad when Hester set the NFL record for return TDs. The goddamn Viking fans that kept booing when Kluwe punted out of bounds deserved that kick to the balls.
  • Culters backpedal is awkward and distracting but effective, especially when his O-line and receivers show up to play.
  • Matt Forte is terrible. He has really fallen off since his impressive rookie season.
  • It was hard watching Favre play last night, he's a shell of the QB he once was.
  • After watching Toby Gerhart Viking fans should have a renwed appeciation for AP. He works behind the same shitty O-line but produces.

MNF sucked for the most part.

I disagree. It was one of the most enjoyable games I've ever watched. Seeing the Vikings get blown out is always fun; watching the Bears do it is doubly so.

[*]Matt Forte is terrible. He has really fallen off since his impressive rookie season.

[*]After watching Toby Gerhart Viking fans should have a renwed appeciation for AP. He works behind the same shitty O-line but produces.

Did you watch the same game I did? Monday Night Football on ESPN?

Forte had 17 carries for 92 yards. That's a 5.4 yard per carry average. He's not going to get to 1200 yards again this season, which he did his rookie year, and might not even break 1000, but he'll also end the season with almost 100 fewer touches than he did his rookie season. He's had 6 games with 12 or less carries. No RB, outside of a monster at the peak of his career, is going to put up huge numbers with that amount of carries.

I think you're referring to #29, Chester Taylor, who had 5 yards on 11 carries. He has been nothing short of terrible most of this season, especially considering the amount of money he was paid and that he was supposed to be fighting for the #1 back role.

And Gerhart, while he didn't light the world on fire, had 77 yards on 16 carries. But for some reason, after Favre went out, they decided to let an unproven rookie throw the ball 26 times. I don't think Peterson would have fared much better, especially considering how the Bears would have been ready for him. They weren't ready for Gerhart, at least not at first when he was running over Bears defenders.

Did you watch the same game I did? Monday Night Football on ESPN?

Forte had 17 carries for 92 yards. That's a 5.4 yard per carry average. He's not going to get to 1200 yards again this season, which he did his rookie year, and might not even break 1000, but he'll also end the season with almost 100 fewer touches than he did his rookie season. He's had 6 games with 12 or less carries. No RB, outside of a monster at the peak of his career, is going to put up huge numbers with that amount of carries.

I think you're referring to #29, Chester Taylor, who had 5 yards on 11 carries. He has been nothing short of terrible most of this season, especially considering the amount of money he was paid and that he was supposed to be fighting for the #1 back role.

I'm so disappointed about the whole Chester Taylor thing. Pre-Bye Week Martz stucking stubbornly to his thought process and plan abused what Taylor can bring to a team in terms of runs and short passing gains, helping pick apart a defense. That was his bread and butter with Minnesota. After the philosphy adjustments coming out of the bye week, it was too late. I think they scarred Taylor and he's yet to recover. Hopefully it can be corrected, probably not this year, but perhaps next...

And Gerhart, while he didn't light the world on fire, had 77 yards on 16 carries. But for some reason, after Favre went out, they decided to let an unproven rookie WIDE RECEIVER throw the ball 26 times. I don't think Peterson would have fared much better, especially considering how the Bears would have been ready for him. They weren't ready for Gerhart, at least not at first when he was running over Bears defenders.

Fixed that up for you a little there...

I think you'd be crazy to evaluate any player on the basis of their performance on that field in that weather in that game. Not really NFL caliber. The frozen tundra SOUNDS nice but there is a good reason NFL stadiums have underground heating.

I'm so disappointed about the whole Chester Taylor thing. Pre-Bye Week Martz stucking stubbornly to his thought process and plan abused what Taylor can bring to a team in terms of runs and short passing gains, helping pick apart a defense. That was his bread and butter with Minnesota.

It's true. When he was with the Vikings and I'd see him come in on third down I'd sigh and think "Shit, here comes Chester Taylor." Now when I see him in I sigh and think, "Shit, here comes Chester Taylor." The inflections and meanings are not the same.

The frozen tundra SOUNDS nice but there is a good reason NFL stadiums have underground heating.

Yes, now this I agree on... northern outdoor stadiums must have heated fields. There is something to be said for the days of olde.... the ice bowl, etc. But not in today's NFL. Do whatever it takes, just keep it outside!

I think you'd be crazy to evaluate any player on the basis of their performance on that field in that weather in that game. Not really NFL caliber. The frozen tundra SOUNDS nice but there is a good reason NFL stadiums have underground heating.

Yes, now this I agree on... northern outdoor stadiums must have heated fields. There is something to be said for the days of olde.... the ice bowl, etc. But not in today's NFL. Do whatever it takes, just keep it outside!

Move Professional Football indoors! Do it now!

MNF sucked for the most part. A few points:

* I was glad when Hester set the NFL record for return TDs. The goddamn Viking fans that kept booing when Kluwe punted out of bounds deserved that kick to the balls.

Well I agree with the others - loved watching that game... and I'm a Packer fan, we needed the Vikes to win.

But I totally agree with you about the Hester run back TD. It's like ahaaaa, now we know. But to be fair, fans are there to watch football action, not kicks out of bounds. Sure it's lame - especially in this case - but it's still pretty common.

Move Professional Football indoors! Do it now!

Professional powder-puff can be all indoors. All hail the NPPL ;)

There is already one junior circuit professional league, the NL, we don't need another!

...we joke because we love :b

As a fan who has been going to Patriots home games in December since the mid 80's, I admit I would not mind an indoor stadium. (Granted, they are a lot more pleasant nowadays. The aluminum benches were rough.)

Random Thought of the Day:

Is it cruel of me to want Tom Brady to finish 3rd in MVP voting just to see Rock go Internet Insane! while the rest of the board goes, "Hey there champ. Why don't you try not talking for awhile?"

I think Zadok will approve.

Is it cruel of me to want Tom Brady to finish 3rd in MVP voting just to see Rock go Internet Insane!

I think only fans and the critics who get to vote on them care about those awards. Players care about rings; everything else is superfluous.

Archived