Scott Lynch/Republic of Thieves

Ser Scot A Ellison

today from Scott's Twitter feed:

@scottlynch78: For the curious: The instant, the microsecond I have an unchanging date for TRoT's release I will Twitter the holy bejeezus out of it.

So, still nothing completely solid

• 2 weeks later...

I think Sabetha might have turned to theater after she left Camorr. In RSURS, Locke and Jean mention several times that the Bastards were in plays (note the plural) in their youth, so she already had experience.

This cover shows her holding a mask that resembles those tragedy/comedy masks, you know the ones? A second cover shows a masked man and a masked woman who could be her.

Thorn and Rose fight to share the stage.

I won't say Rose is an impossible nickname for a thief. But it makes more sense as a nickname for a beautiful, popular actress. It has a positive connotation unlike the negative connotation of Thorn. If Rose is because she's a redhead, why name a thief after her hair? Thieves aren't supposed to be seen. Also, actors are commonly given flowers after performances (in our world, anyway).

Interesting theory, and nothing to disprove it, but i think it seems unlikely. And we know she isn't in theater at the time of Theives, because she is hired by Bondsmagi as a direct countermeasure to Locke (as well as what i suspect is a 'fuck you' to him...) I think refering to her as 'Rose' is simply as an opposite of 'Thorn' - Locke has multiple connections to the word 'Thorn' and while there may be something specifically connecting Sabetha to 'Rose' apart from obvious things like beauty, etc, i think it is more symbolic as an opposite to Locke - his equal in almost every respect.

I think i worded that all wrong. Im tired. Oh well. I hope you get what im trying to say.

• 3 weeks later...

A Message from Deputy Publishing Director, Simon Spanton about The Republic of Thieves

We know how eagerly many of you are waiting for the publication of Scott Lynch’s third novel, The Republic of Thieves. We know how frustrating the delays have been. We know this because we share your eagerness and your frustrations. But as you may know Scott has had a very difficult couple of years and consequently the novel has been delayed. Several times. If you knew the circumstances for these delays I’m sure you’d understand why we have had to wait for the book. We’re now waiting for final delivery of the manuscript and are hoping to publish the book in March of 2012. The moment we have final delivery we will confirm a publication date.

No-one is more eager to see this book published than Scott or myself. The delays have been forced on us. The moment we can put those behind us we will let you know and then we can all start counting the days to publication. Locke Lamora will return.

Simon Spanton,

Deputy Publishing Director, Gollancz

This is actually old news, because the update was published in September 10th.

Here is another new Lynch interview:

http://fantasy-facti...lynch-interview

I started seriously planning the book that eventually became TLOLL some time in 2000, and was making half-assed attempts to write it the year after that. Until 2003, mostly what I had was a very large pile of notes, research, genealogies, and two-page fragments that went nowhere. Originally, the book I was trying to write covered the events of what will be Book IV of the Gentleman Bastard sequence. At some point I decided that I didn’t know the characters well enough to throw them into such a media res situation, and I backed up a few years in their lives to the events that became TLOLL. It was a very fortunate happy accident.
The entire story is pretty thoroughly outlined. I know where it’s going, I know how it ends, and that’s the way I’m most comfortable working. There’s a lot of room on a book-by-book, chapter-by-chapter basis for unexpected developments. Regardless of what those surprises are, the last few paragraphs of the last book are still going to say the same thing.
*The Republic of Thieves* does finally explore certain elements of the power and the goals of the bondsmagi, and in it we catch our first glimpse of the major world event that’s going to steer the second half of the series, as the entire northern half of the continent Locke lives on

dissolves into civil war.

Keeping the entire series in Camorr and keeping the specific flavor of TLOLL going from book to book was a tempting thought, but it’s not what I have a real passion for, which means that sooner or later I’d have been faking my enthusiasm and the series would have suffered.

Concerning the last spoiler in your post.

I knew it! I speculated something similar to that. Woo! I'm a genius now!

Are we ever gonna get any maps though? Because i suck at visualising where anything is in relation to something else.

I think Sabetha might have turned to theater after she left Camorr. In RSURS, Locke and Jean mention several times that the Bastards were in plays (note the plural) in their youth, so she already had experience.

I had the same thought. In Final Fantasy 6 (game that Locke's name is a nod to), there's a pretty iconic opera scene that involves the main characters participating in an opera. Wouldn't be surprised if Lynch puts something similar in 'Republic' as a sort of homage--think Locke and Sabetha playing the leads in a play about star-crossed lovers for the sake of some grander scheme; the theme and dialogue of the play cleverly tying into whatever actual conflict they're going through.

Something like that anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived