Scott Lynch/Republic of Thieves

Ser Scot A Ellison

When I see quotes like the one below, it's certainly more confidence that the book is in the near-final stages and we are just waiting on an official announcement of the release date.

scottlynch78: Good copyeditors. Underappreciated. You miss them when they're not around, because suddenly your book sucks like a fuckity-suck.

• 3 weeks later...

From Lynch's livejournal:

I wish I could tell you a Very Neat Thing. Actually, I have three specific Very Neat Things I am kinda dying to announce. One is good to spill the beans on, one is nearly so, and one is still under publicity embargo. I'd kinda like to be able to spill more than one simultaneously, though, so let's hope I get some directions this coming week.

Hints? You want hints? You have me confused with GRRM.

I wish my bank account had me confused with GRRM.

http://scott-lynch.livejournal.com/274032.html

Ok, I'm willing to speculate...

One is good to spill the beans on - The Republic of Thieves

One is nearly so - The Bastards and the Knives

One is still under publicity embargo - I got nothing

Scott's done this before, and the news items are not usually like that - good chance one may be about ROT though.

We have seen Scott say in comments on the blog a couple of times before that a major announcement is coming, and it never came.

And even knowing that I still get a bit excited. Surely one of those things is RoT, but the question is if that announcement will come.

Something I'm very interested to hear about is how far he is with The Thorn of Emberlain. In that competition a few months back, it sounded like he was writing new material for that book even as he attended to rewrites on RoT. Probably too much to hope it's very far, but it would be impressive if he not only came back with a new book but was also able to resume a more regular release schedule on top of it.

• 2 months later...

It looks like Lynch is still editing TRoT:

Ha HA. Editing while tipsy does nothing to affect my concentration. Except now Locke has mechanized power armor. Continuity is for sissies.

Ha HA. Editing while tipsy does nothing to affect my concentration. Except now Locke has mechanized power armor. Continuity is for sissies.

— Scottish Curse Lynch (@scottlynch78)

July 24, 2012

I'm guessing he was on Steam after a few whiskeys and bought Fallout: New Vegas for their summer sale. Heck, it was only 10 bucks. I did. About time, Scott and me!

Hangover edits! Sabetha's a bitch! Locke wants to die! Jean's a lard ass! Chains was a miserable father figure! Come to think of it, this series may have been written almost entirely when Lynch was hung over.

I'd be grumpier that he's still not finished if that tweet were less funny.

I'm just happy he's happy. Lynch is definitely a gifted fantasy writer, but his honesty and openness regarding his depression is what has made me admire the man.

It looks like Lynch is still editing TRoT

It's not often you hear of a fiction book being in the editing phase for more than a year. This is clearly a special case.

We've also had a couple of livejournal posts declaring that something big is about to be announced, and then it doesn't happen.

Now let's see what the bourbon left me for a manuscript... hmmm. "Locke and Jean vs. the Loch Ness Monster in Space." Oh dear.

Now let's see what the bourbon left me for a manuscript... hmmm. "Locke and Jean vs. the Loch Ness Monster in Space." Oh dear.

July 24, 2012

• 2 weeks later...

New update from Lynch:

Q: What the hell is going on with The Republic of Thieves?

A: My current necessary edit to TRoT has been shot all to hell by that lovely anxiety I’ve mentioned. I haven’t talked much about it because I hate talking about it. I can be usefully open about my depression in a way I can’t about my anxiety attacks. Sorry. Suffice to say: They are the reason we can’t have nice things. I have a very good feeling at the moment, however, because I know something you do not. When I can say more, I will not be shy.

Q: What’s with the official TRoT release date switching all the time?

A: Because my publishers can’t yet reliably (my fault, not theirs) give retailers a true date, and retailers nonetheless want to keep the book as a forthcoming item in their catalogs, many weird things happen. Nobody is deliberately fucking with you. Least of all me or my publishers. It’s not personal. I have said, several times, not to take any date as valid until you see me posting it online myself. I have just said it again.

http://scottlynch.us/blog/2012/08/03/lynch-industries/

Lynch wrote in his blog:

$2000 Several weeks ago, I jokingly tweeted about writing a short story called “Locke and Jean vs. the Loch Ness Monster in Space.” Hit two grand and, by god, I’ll actually write it. The crazy thing is, I have an idea. It would not be a parody. And it would take me at least a month (TRoT first!). But it could be done.

From Twitter:

Huh. Some days you wake up and discover that you owe the world "Locke and Jean vs. the Loch Ness Monster in Space."

Huh. Some days you wake up and discover that you owe the world "Locke and Jean vs. the Loch Ness Monster in Space."

August 6, 2012

So that Will Be A Thing. This week, though, the job is to get you some news on a novel that's due... and then make a bigger eBook.

So that Will Be A Thing. This week, though, the job is to get you some news on a novel that's due... and then make a bigger eBook.

August 6, 2012

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting message from the Fantasy-Faction forum:

Yep. I spoke to Scott today in fact and the book is certainly NOT out until 2013 I'm afraid. Same personal issues with Scott that he has spoke about. His recovery is going well though, which I'm sure you'll all agree is good news That being said, pretty cool announcement between Fantasy-Faction and Scott Lynch should be made next week or the week after - so keep your eyes peeled

This was written a month ago.

Gah. I was expecting the 3rd book this year. Turns out Wikipedia was lying to me :P Still, hopefully his health issues improve - that's important. I am quite itching to get back into the world though. I'm currently re-reading Lies too, and I forgot just how fun of a read it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon.co.uk have new date for The Republic of Thieves: 13th July 2013.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Republic-Thieves-Gollancz-Scott-Lynch/dp/0575077018/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347923958&sr=1-1

I'm not claiming that this is an actual release day (we all know it isn't). But I think this might be the earliest possible time for TRoT publication.

Archived