Scott Lynch/Republic of Thieves

Ser Scot A Ellison

Note: Scott Lynch is a member of the forum and occasionally posts here. That puts the situation into the context of 'people taking the mickey out of a fellow board member with health issues', not 'distant author who will never in a million years hear what people say about him here'. Please bear that in mind.

• 1 month later...

Alliete de Bodard tweeted thistoday. Nice little verbal smack-down from Lynch responding to someone who called his inclusion of a black, female pirate as political correct wish fulfillment.

Personally, i thought it was awesome.

wow, that was cool, though I am a little shocked that a writer would respond in this manner. And that last statement from the critic had me laughing: I have been reading science fiction and fantasy for years and i know that I speak for a great many people. I hope you might stop to think about the sales you will lose because you want to bring your political corectness and foul language into fantasy. if we wanted those things we could go to the movies.

"A great many people" HA! If these are his reasons for not liking the Gentlemen's Bastards, then he must also not like GRRM, Abercrombie etc.

I'm not sure if seven-year-old quotes being dredged up is exactly what Scott wants or needs right now. Weird timing.

I really hope we see Republic of Thieves next year. The Lies of Locke Lamora is probably the finest fantasy debut I've read. I guess we'll find out next month!

According to this Orion/Gollancz catalogue, TRoT will be published in July 2013 if Lynch deliveres manuscript in January 2013.

http://www.anthearig...349272336_2.pdf

Reminds me of a blog entry Patrick Rothfuss wrote a couple of weeks ago about one of his worldbuilder auctions:

A critique of the first 100 pages or 3 chapters of your novel by author Scott Lynch.

[...]

This critique cannot begin before January, 2013 and will probably require six weeks from receipt of manuscript.

I'm optimistic that January really will be the deadline for his MS for TRoT. Our years of waiting will come to an end. :D

Interesting. According to the Gollancz catalogue, The Lies of Locke Lamora has been optioned as a TV series. I can find absolutely no mentioned of that on the interwebs at all. AFAIK, the previous movie option had lapsed some time ago.

I can not in my head figure out how anyone could make a good movie from Lies. They would chicken out of the back and forth timelines, be afraid to drop us in the story without explaining the fantasy world, and the movie would have to be very long to keep half the plot. Outside of LotR, are there any really successful fantasy movies that would give them the courage to take good risks on this movie? (asking because I honestly don't know, I just know the ones I can think of didn't do all that well, ie Stardust).

But, there's not *that* much fantastic content, nor is there the fantasy-landscape/massive tigerlizard armies/etc problem that makes these films expensive risks. With a city setting, you can have much smaller sets, it's basically just a steampunky heist at heart with a few bits of magic, shouldn't be much more expensive than, say, Boardwalk Empire.

shouldn't be much more expensive than, say, Boardwalk Empire.

According to the information I've found on the matter, the budget of Boardwalk Empire is on par with GoT. This website (http://uk.eonline.com/news/318306/holy-flaming-warships-how-expensive-is-game-of-thrones-anyway) says that GoT costs an average of $6 million per episode and BE costs $5 million but episode, but the pilot (when they built the sets had a cost of $18 million).

I think Scott has said that Lies is heavily influenced by the (excellent) French film, Le Pact des Lupes - which was very effective on a non-Hollywood level budget. More city setting than countryside, with a little Eldgerglass cgi and they'd be set. The core of the origin stuff could be done in an opening flashback, and the rest could be a fantasy heist movie. With a charismatic lead like, say, a David Tennant, I think it'd make a great film.

Archived