Scott Lynch/Republic of Thieves

Ser Scot A Ellison

Probably not happening at this point; if it was going to go down you'd think it'd be confirmed by now. We'd have to hear for sure very, very soon, anyway, if they were going to hit a November release. Whatever. Lynch'll finish when he finishes, and hopefully he's still doing okay. I'll read it when it comes.

We need something good to read in 2012 rather than everything being in 2011 (assuming we get it then). This year's releases makes it look like the publishing world believes the Mayan 2012 end of the world...

The latest info from Gollancz is that they have a large amount of Republic of Thieves in, finished and copy and line-edited and ready to go (shades of ADWD) and are waiting for the last few chunks of the book before they can confirm a date.

However, November 2011 is still achievable and is still the plan right now. If we get deep into mid-summer and there's no news, then we can assume a drop back to 2012.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw a note on another forum (via Twitter) that author Douglas Hulick mentioned that he spoke with Scott just last week and that the November release date looks pretty firm. Of course it's still only an estimate without an official announcement, but all signs point toward a November release.

I just saw a note on another forum (via Twitter) that author Douglas Hulick mentioned that he spoke with Scott just last week and that the November release date looks pretty firm. Of course it's still only an estimate without an official announcement, but all signs point toward a November release.

It's very reassuring to have that confirmation. I assume for a November publication date, the book will have to be finished by July.

I'm really eager to read the Republic of Thives. The first two books were really great and the series has a huge potential. It's appearence will culminate the best year in fantasy for the millenium, I think.

I'm more worried for the prospects of the The Thorn of Emberlain, the fourth book. I hope to hear soon that Scott is fina gain and is working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Lynch is offering people the chance to win an appearance in the fourth Gentleman Bastard novel, The Thorn of Emberlain, via the David Gemmell Award auction this year.

Apparently The Republic of Thieves is so close to completion that it is not possible to arrange an appearance in that book without delaying it further, so thus it'll be the next one.

It seems forever that RSURS came out. Of course back then, I was tickled pink that the second Locke book came so quickly after the first... then whoosh. All this. Of course, I wish the author the best of luck, and I sincerely hope the third book is coming out in November... but man. What a gap. Glad I still have plenty of positive feeling in me for the first two books, because otherwise I might have forgotten/stopped caring altogether.

Oddly enough, Lynch's contract called for him to deliver a manuscript every 8 months... :stunned:

Not sure who thought about that clause, but that was a bit far-fetched...

Patrick

Lynch recently [yesterday I think] posted a series of thoughts about depression to his blog which folks might be interested in reading. I certainly found it instructive.

Beyond my hope that he carries on doing alright, I'm beginning to get excited again, which is perhaps dangerous. But hope is fun.

Oddly enough, Lynch's contract called for him to deliver a manuscript every 8 months... :stunned:

Not sure who thought about that clause, but that was a bit far-fetched...

Well, he did it for RSURS, so perhaps not so far-fetched. Plus Adrian Tchaikovsky, Dan Abnett and Steven Erikson have hit that kind of schedule regularly for years on end so it's not impossible. But yeah, optimistic, perhaps.

Well, he did it for RSURS, so perhaps not so far-fetched. Plus Adrian Tchaikovsky, Dan Abnett and Steven Erikson have hit that kind of schedule regularly for years on end so it's not impossible. But yeah, optimistic, perhaps.

I think I'd place him as potentially being a book every 2 years guy now. The other examples you have mentioned haven't blown any deadlines over several books as opposed to Scott who managed two books. I'll be happy if he can return to a fast schedule though but rather we get something good (which is my hope for RoT).

• 2 weeks later...

Suvudu/Bantam just Tweeted that they've received another 'big fantasy manuscript'. I'm trying to think what else it could be, but AFAIK Thieves is the highest-profile thing on the radar from them, now that ADWD is in. Will try to get confirmation tomorrow.

EDIT: Bollocks, it was the new Christopher Paolini. That's fricking disappointing :(

Suvudu/Bantam just Tweeted that they've received another 'big fantasy manuscript'. I'm trying to think what else it could be, but AFAIK Thieves is the highest-profile thing on the radar from them, now that ADWD is in. Will try to get confirmation tomorrow.

EDIT: Bollocks, it was the new Christopher Paolini. That's fricking disappointing :(

Admit it. A tiny part of you hoped it was somehow Winds of Winter. ;)

Damn! They had me for a second there. Ah well. Thanks for keeping on watching what's going on with this.

I know Gollancz had large chunks of the book copyedited and ready to go and were confident they could turn it around very quickly, but I'd guess the moment of truth so far as that November release goes has got to be coming up fairly soon, no?

Lynch seems to have had a small spurt of online activity a couple weeks ago, which has now stopped. Hope he's only busy or enjoying himself or something.

They're still let Paolini write Star Wars fan fiction...er books?

Admit it. A tiny part of you hoped it was somehow Winds of Winter. ;)

GRRM: I just want everyone to know I've been fucking with you for 6 years to build hype for a TV show. I finished everything back in 03, HBO is working on a Dunk and Egg miniseries, and I just finished writing a prequel series about the first Dance With Dragons. Also Valaryia, the untold story should be ready for publication next year.

Eragon, and/or the various discussions of, is so five years ago. I'm surprised it's still around.

Although I do recall reading a hilarious Patrick Rothfuss post in which he met Paolini, addressed his own (possibly) unworthy past criticisms of his writing, wrote a very nice piece on the dude and masterfully hid his actual opinion of Paolini's works. Which I guess is pretty de rigueur; author vs author fight in person would be uncomfortable. But he did it so well :bowdown:

Ouch. That's like finding chocolate in the fridge and then it turns out to be dog shit.

Two little things. First is that the UK hardcover has been pushed back, to December 8.

Second is that Scott said two weeks ago that he had news for us regarding RoT within a few days, but since then hasn't updated his blog with any news about RoT.

Archived