Scott Lynch/Republic of Thieves

Ser Scot A Ellison

I wouldn't say it was a massive letdown, but I did prefer the first book. The second book was still reasonably good and an entertaining read but the first book was probably better in just about every respect.

This is how I felt about both books really. But some of my favorite parts of the first book were the backstory flashbacks, so that would figure. The second book is still very good though.

I think I was a bit disappointed in that it didn't feel as energetic or as lively as the first novel, and in particular some of the plot turns were telegraphed from a mile away (Jean's fling was obviously doomed from the get-go). But a massive let down? I don't think I felt like that at the time. It just seemed rougher and more tentative, but that may just be a one-off, or it could be a sign that Lynch was pushing his writing and not quite getting where he wanted to be -- yet he clearly has oodles of talent.

Very much looking forward to RoT, whenever it should come out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Someone proposed an interesting theory on Amazon about why the book has been delayed.

I'm not sure if that's really possible, but I'd heard that Raymond E. Feist ended up in a similar situation. I assume the ongoing medical issues are the primary reason for the delays, but that's an interesting, if rather depressing, take on it.

I really hope that's not the reason for the delay. That said, it would not shock me.

I'm pretty sure it isn't and it's his other medical issues. But it's an angle I hadn't considered before. If you're a writer (or director or whatever) and you get divorced, what is the other person entitled to? 50% of the earnings of all your work in perpetuity? Not something I've thought about much before, if at all.

I didn't quote in case you prefer to edit the post. I'm not personally acquainted with Scott Lynch or his former wife, but from what I could gleam from their blogs at the time it didn't seem there was a bitter divorce battle going on, to the contrary they both seemed sad over the situation. To be sure I just searched the Wisconsin Court System website and what is almost certainly their divorce case file lists Lynch and is former wife as joint petitioners and is marked as "closed."

Ah, you're right. Not the best angle to pursue, and contravention of my earlier suggestion we don't get into gossip-mongering. Probably a discussion for another time without this particular situation to base it around.

• 3 weeks later...

I just listened to the audio interview with Scott posted on Orion website, but either I missed it or he didn't mention the publication date. I only heard interviewer mention 2011 in his first question.

So...when?

EDIT: Stupid me...I found info in the next tab on Orion website...November 2011. Well, that's ... late.

Someone proposed an interesting theory on Amazon about why the book has been delayed.

I'm not sure if that's really possible, but I'd heard that Raymond E. Feist ended up in a similar situation. I assume the ongoing medical issues are the primary reason for the delays, but that's an interesting, if rather depressing, take on it.

When abouts in Ray's career did this happen? Just after the Serpentwar Saga? Or even just after Rage of a Demon King?

Here's the audio interview link, if folks have missed it. Pretty cool. I do love that cover -- is it Palencar?

My biggest concern for RoT is that Sabetha just won't live up to the expectations that have been raised in the prior two novels. She's got a lot to live up to.

I just listened to the audio interview with Scott posted on Orion website, but either I missed it or he didn't mention the publication date. I only heard interviewer mention 2011 in his first question.

So...when?

EDIT: Stupid me...I found info in the next tab on Orion website...November 2011. Well, that's ... late.

It's actually coming out this year?! I think that's good news! :thumbsup:

In the interview, Scott says its Benjamin Carre.

I absolutely love the cover to the second one. It's what got me to pick up the first one originally. (This was long before I knew this board even existed.)

The OCD side of me laments the fact that there is no continuity of styles between the covers in the series.

OTOH, that is a pretty awesome cover jacket for RoT.

I dont mind the lack of continuity of covers, only because they went different every time. I hate it more when they start in one style, then switch (my Pratchett collection being the worst offender, but my Martin Millar books are trade paperback and 3 DIFFERENT SIZES?! I dunno who made that damn decision).

Love the second cover anyway, and think the third cover looks amazing as well.

Archived