Alice Henley as Ygritte

Tyro Lannister

Bear in mind that when Jon first encounters Ygritte, he mistakes her for a man.

He expects she is a man because that's Jon's default position when it comes to seeing fighters. And in fairness to him, given the climate, it would be a pretty easy mistake to make.

She's basically plain, with a lot of ugly, asymmetrical features. It's that Jon falls in love with her that makes her beautiful in Jon's eyes.

This is a nice thing you can do in a book but less so in a TV series. As long as she isn't the most beautiful woman in the world, her level of attractiveness isn't particularly important.

• 4 weeks later...

My vote for Ygritte goes to Claire Foy, after watching her in Dorritt and Witch and seeing pics of her in red hair, she looks the part and definitely has the acting chops.

Also, I have the feeling HBO is casting for season two now, under the QT though. If rumors are correct and they will start filming in early May, they must be casting about now for the added roles with all roles filled by premiere date. From early reports, they started writing the new scripts back in January, so they can get an early jump on filming, which corresponds to rumored May filming.

So will we have the chance to play name that role, or when HBO announces new season in April, will they just jump in and mention all the new casting roles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ygritte is perhaps 20 or 22 yrs old. Margaery Tyrell is supposed to be a maiden of 16.

How does an actress of 30 years of age meet the age requirements of either role?

I expect there are plenty of unknowns (like an Emilia Clarke) who can well fulfill the role of Ygritte, or Margaery. (Though frnakly, I don't think I would cast Margaery until Season #3).

I'm for trusting Nina Gold on these issues. Joe Dempsie as Gendry aside, or almost every choice she recommended for the cast has been perfect.

Of those suggested in this topic my vote goes for Hannah Murray and Martina Harrigan. They fit well enough into my mental image of Ygritte, but I haven't seen them act, so not really sure if they are good for the role.

My favorites are still Alice Henley and Alice Seydoux

Kit Harington is HOT - let's not put him with an uggo.

Well everyone has their views on what is "ugly" and what is not, but I personally don't believe any of the girls I suggested are ugly. Hannah Murray for example is a very pretty girl and for me Ruth Wilson is the hottest women suggested as Ygritte in this thread.

Well everyone has their views on what is "ugly" and what is not, but I personally don't believe any of the girls I suggested are ugly. Hannah Murray for example is a very pretty girl and for me Ruth Wilson is the hottest women suggested as Ygritte in this thread.

I never said the girls you suggested were ugly, only responding to the people that want Ygritte to be unattractive or homely.

I could see her as Margaery as well. Yeah, she seemed to be too old for that, but then, aging up Margaery does not really matter at all! And with Renly older, it would also be fitting if both her and Loras would be about 20.

Her approach on Livia actually is how I imagine Margaery. Or would imagine her, if she was married to a man she actually has sex with ;-). But the whole thing about being nice, courteous, and quiet in public whereas being an ambitious and scheming bitch in private nails Margaery to the core.

Hey, this is a great idea. I think she would make a wonderful Margaery. BUT, I also think her exotic look would also be great for Ygritte. I've always had this semi-exotic look in my head for Ygritte. Either role would be wonderful.

Alice Henley:

weird looking? Certainly

beutiful? I don't see it.

hot? No

Don't see what all the fuss is about she is certainly not too good looking to be Ygritte. But I don't see her fitting the role anyhow.

Jon Snow thinks Ygitte's a dude because a) she's a fighter (as mentioned above) and b. she's wrapped up in furs.

Besides, I don't think of Ygritte as being ugly or even unattractive. They're living as wildlings, for R'hllor's sake. It's not as if she has access to beauty products. And she's got a chipped tooth! Hairdressers, expertly applied makeup, and good nutrition can make a lot of difference, y'know?

:rolleyes:

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World the other night and the drummer girl looked just like Ygritte. Alison Pill is a Canadian, so probably no eligible, but looks wise, she can nail it. She also played Queen Maud in the Pillars of the Earth.

Alison Pill is a fabulous actress, can radiate strength, looks real as a redhead and is cute but not gorgeous. She is the best suggestion yet for Ygritte. But, if as you say, she is Canadian, then that might not work.

Archived