[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 105 discussion

It's 10 episodes for just under 700 pages but your conclusion is still correct. They have a ton of things to cover in quite short time.

I would personally have liked them to utilize 60+ minutes for every episode, rather than just the first, but I have no idea what liberties they have in relation to episode length.

So there will be 10 episodes? That's cool. Is the 700 page count you have for the hardcover version? Because the softcover I have is just over 800 pages long.

- too many added scenes, which don't really advance the story much, but rather feel like cheap dialogue filler, which ties into my next issue of...

- budget constraints. More than any other HBO show I've seen, I can't watch for five minutes without being reminded that they had serious budget constraints with this show. It's distracting.

- The swordfighting. The scene at the end just seemed obviously fake. Like two actors with swords on a soundstage. Which I suppose they were.

- despite the horse killing, the tourney was lame. Reduced to two jousts and a crowd of dozens. Again, the budget constraints.

I definitely agree with all of the above. Like I said previously, it seems like HBO and the team behind this adaptation are taking an overly safe, sort of mainstream Hollywood take on the book and it's suffering because of it, IMO (swordfight, Ned/Jaime, some dialogue, shots, etc.). There does seem to be a lot of lame dialogue filler that you'd find in most of the action or fantasy movies being made these days. I guess it's a reflection of recent trends in moviemaking and shows. Most of the best dialogue is when the writers of the show use dialogue straight out of the book.

I think budget constraints might be having an effect on the show but that's no excuse for some of the dialogue and other shortcomings, IMO.

Loras & Renly

I'll be brief here since there's a whole thread on this now. Overdone and unnecessary. Out of the two, I'd figure Loras to be the woman in the relationship, not Renly. I think the sexual part of this scene was about as long as the bathtub scene, and just as ridiculous. The entire series would be better if both of those scenes were about 10 minutes shorter.

I do not understand this thought at all. Neither of them is "the woman" in the relationship. What is that even supposed to mean? They are two individual men in a relationship, which is going to have its own dynamics just like any other relationship.

Besides which, I didn't find the power differential or whatever you're trying to say that different. Sure, Loras is the one with the big ideas, but this is only one scene between them. It actually seemed to me that they're on pretty even footing, especially given that Renly is royalty.

I forgot to mention something. When Renly tells Varys and LF that "my brother's coming" to the council meeting, I immediately thought "Yay, Stannis! Finally!" In the next scene, I was like, "Oh, you mean that brother." Then I remembered that Stannis wasn't in that council meeting anyway.

I still felt let down.

Has Stannis even been cast yet?

Did you seriously just say the Bandit fight was good and the Ned/Jaimie fight was bad?

No the Ned/Jaimie fight was the best damm fight so far.

The Bandit fight looked like standard fantasy fighting with swords changeing how sharp they are from one moment to the next.

I don't understand the complaints about TV-Loras' body type. As somebody mentioned towards the end of the first thread, he's described as "slender as a reed". If this actor doesn't have the body type you pictured...well, that's fine, but you weren't picturing Loras as he was actually described in the books.

Indeed. Jaimie later comments upon his jousting prowess, indicating that it's all in his horsemanship.

I do not understand this thought at all. Neither of them is "the woman" in the relationship. What is that even supposed to mean? They are two individual men in a relationship, which is going to have its own dynamics just like any other relationship.

Misinterpretatius maximus. Would it have been better if I'd said "I never figured Renly to be the little slave boy and Loras to be the Roman lord"? Same concept, different terminology. There's always a dom and a sub, in every relationship. No matter what gender. Please don't misinterpret my comments to have anything to do with sexual preference.

It's 10 episodes for just under 700 pages but your conclusion is still correct. They have a ton of things to cover in quite short time.

I would personally have liked them to utilize 60+ minutes for every episode, rather than just the first, but I have no idea what liberties they have in relation to episode length.

They're still utilizing 55+ minutes for every episode so it's not much of a change compared to the pilot, imo.

Regarding book vs episode length... The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy was 558 minutes (the extended version was 683 minutes) and that covered an amount of text that's roughly double the length of AGoT. Now the entire 10-episode series of Game of Thrones will end up being around 542 minutes combined (with the opening and end credits removed).

So compared to LotR, which ended up being very well done, Game of Thrones actually has much more breathing room and less pressure to condense and cut things out from the book.

Misinterpretatius maximus. Would it have been better if I'd said "I never figured Renly to be the little slave boy and Loras to be the Roman lord"? Same concept, different terminology. There's always a dom and a sub, in every relationship. No matter what gender. Please don't misinterpret my comments to have anything to do with sexual preference.

Ah, so women and little slave boys are interchangeably subordinate elements in a relationship?

Dude, I don't want to get into it with you, but yeah I found your concept and terminology flawed.

No. From my understanding Stannis, Mel and Davos are the bigger names to be cast for next season.

Bummer. Guess we have to wait 'til next season to see the Blackfish too, huh?

Uh, not really.

And for all we know, Renly might have his way on all sorts of other things, even if Loras does lead him around by the nose in terms of politics. In fact, it seems quite likely, if he's at all like his brother.

Uh, not really.

And for all we know, Renly might have his way on all sorts of other things, even if Loras does lead him around by the nose in terms of politics. In fact, it seems quite likely, if he's at all like his brother.

No, no, you clearly don't understand how relationships work. Clearly Renly has voided all rights to being an equal member their partnership by being entirely too womanly. Or slavely.

Indeed. Jaimie later comments upon his jousting prowess, indicating that it's all in his horsemanship.
Horsemanship takes muscle. Doubly so wearing platemail while doing it.

Note also that this was a guy that in a fit of rage killed two other fairly skilled swordsmen. Then later he is at the front of an army that storms a castle, takes a wound and still keeps on killing. Can you picture this guy storming Dragonstone with an arrow in him?

I appreciate your differing opinion, but please do not jump on the one sentence I said out of an entire group of paragraphs, especially if you don't know this "dude" (very much a confident woman). "Woman in the relationship" is very common terminology. Not something I made up. I apologize if a colloquialism caused offense.

Edit: Back on topic...

I meant to mention this earlier,but isn't the intro supposed to show only places that are going to be in the episode? Why did it show the Wall?

I meant to mention this earlier,but isn't the intro supposed to show only places that are going to be in the episode? Why did it show the Wall?

Good question. Neither Jon nor Dany appeared in that episode, so they really didn't need to show either of their locations. Perhaps, they just want to keep reminding us of what the overall shape of the world is, so we'll always get the wall and something across the narrow sea. Or, maybe they just had to fill time?

- Also not a fan of how the show is handling Cersei and Theon. Theon seems to be a much bigger douche than he was in the book (maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember him being such a dick in the 1st book).

I suspect that Teon has always been a giant douche :) we jsut never saw it much in the first book because the winterfell views we had were Eddard and Catelyn, where Theon would have been on his best behavior, and Bran, who isn't going to be hanging out with Theon much.

It makes me sad that some people are calling the swordfighting unrealistic, the visuals set-esque, and the added scenes 'dialogue filler'...I must just be way, way less picky than some of you. I'm finding it very hard to find any complains about the entire series let alone individual episodes. :fencing:

Archived