[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 105 discussion

So there will be 10 episodes? That's cool. Is the 700 page count you have for the hardcover version? Because the softcover I have is just over 800 pages long.

Yes, there will be 10 episodes and this site just for some reason hasn't made the last two into sub-forums. The final two episodes are "Baelor" and "Fire and Blood". As for page count, I didn't think about the differences between the book types and you are correct in that I was talking about the hardcover version.

They're still utilizing 55+ minutes for every episode so it's not much of a change compared to the pilot, imo.

Regarding book vs episode length... The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy was 558 minutes (the extended version was 683 minutes) and that covered an amount of text that's roughly double the length of AGoT. Now the entire 10-episode series of Game of Thrones will end up being around 542 minutes combined (with the opening and end credits removed).

So compared to LotR, which ended up being very well done, Game of Thrones actually has much more breathing room and less pressure to condense and cut things out from the book.

It's not a big change but you can use it to fit some extra things in there. For example, Conan Stevens posted on Winter Is Coming that he had heard that they should have had a stunt man available when they cut the Gregor - Sandor fight. Apparently they didn't use what the stunt people would have liked and since this episode was just 54 minutes without the "last week" part they could easily have used a bit more time for that in order to show the good stuff the actors provided.

The first episode was 62 minutes and that was of course also without a "last week" segment. If that segment for this episode was 2 minutes they still had 6 minutes less than the first one. As said I don't know what kind of freedom they have with episode length but I can at least wish.

How come so many are bothered by a gay sex scene and almost no one by the extremely graphic violence?

Especially the death of Jory... poor, poor Jory. I had to skip that part on the rewatch :(

That's a common view of sex and violence in general but I agree that it's a bit disturbing when you think about the consequences of such views.

I often get amazed when I hear how people in the US get outraged by a boob shot because their kids can see it while they have no problems letting their kids see all kinds of violent shows.

How come so many are bothered by a gay sex scene and almost no one by the extremely graphic violence?

Speaking just for myself, I wasn't bothered by the actual sex scene at all. It was the same for me as for any other sex scene in this show or any other show. I could have lived without the shaving part, that's the thing that annoyed me. As I said before, I would have also liked to not "find out" about the relationship right away in such a blatant way, but rather have hints at the beginning, like it happens in the books. That's just my personal preference though and it doesn't reduce my appreciation for that episode or for the series itself.

Speaking just for myself, I wasn't bothered by the actual sex scene at all. It was the same for me as for any other sex scene in this show or any other show. I could have lived without the shaving part, that's the thing that annoyed me. As I said before, I would have also liked to not "find out" about the relationship right away in such a blatant way, but rather have hints at the beginning, like it happens in the books. That's just my personal preference though and it doesn't reduce my appreciation for that episode or for the series itself.

Well, Renly isn't around for a super-long time. I'm not sure when we'd "find out" if it didn't happen now. The only reason it wasn't more obvious in the books (and GRRM has confirmed this) is because there were no POV characters around to witness them.

How come so many are bothered by a gay sex scene and almost no one by the extremely graphic violence? Especially the death of Jory... poor, poor Jory. I had to skip that part on the rewatch :(
Americans are far more prudish about sex than violence. Comes from our Puritanical roots I suppose. There was quite a bit of complaining about the amount of hetero sex earlier in the season, which seems to have died down as people either got used to what was there or gave up complaining about it.

Obviously, we're going to get some folks that are more uncomfortable seeing even a suggestion of gay sex than hetero sex, as well as some outright homophobia. Possibly a small number of people that just dislike the sex scenes in general, and feel compelled to complain again. And some folks that just don't think this scene worked well, for reasons unrelated to it being a scene of gay lovers. At some point, you gotta let it go, and just let people have their opinions (as long as they are expressed respectfully and aren't obviously homophobic/racist/whatever).

Personally, I thought the Renly/Loras scene was far more intimate than sexual. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to recall a more intimate (while still being undeniably sexual in nature) scene in the entire series so far. I really liked it, the only time I can recall reading about Renly in anything resembling privacy in the books was with Brienne right before he's murdered.

Loved this episode. Count me in as fans of all the new scenes, except for the Theon/Roz one. Sexposition scenes with prostitutes have beem going pretty lame, generally. I also agree that the tourney is way too small scale. Otherwise, fantastic stuff. Especially the scenes at the Eyrie... So much creepy! Can't wait for next week's episode, which has one of my favourite Tyrion scenes.

Watching this episode play out I just can't help but think our Ned isn't the noble and honorable man everyone thinks.. Look at what he knows right now.. He suspects a Lannister had a hand in Brans fall and murder attempt.. He's starting to get that something is out of place with Robert's children.. He just heard his wife took Tyrion hostage.. and what is the first thing he does out of his sense of honor? Start a huge fight with Robert in front of the small council.. and as we know this trend continues with horrendous consequences..

Really? His honor is nothing but self serving.. it doesn't serve his family, his people, or the realm.. it serves nobody but himself.. Had he bit his tongue, bought some time he would have had a chance to turn the entire situation around.. He would have even been in a better position to deflect the murder he objected to and bring the truth of Robert's children to light.. but he let his "honor" get in the way of a honorable outcome.. I really wonder is it honorable to "always" do the honorable thing? or was he truly just serving his ego..

I'm not very happy with latest episode, and here is what bothered me:

1) Journey to Eyre and battle with mountain clans is about 35 seconds long, and I really felt robbed considering how much I expected of it.

2) Hand's Tourney came of so wain, and we've seen only two jousts, and very little interaction. I really expected we'll get to see few more knights, hear more about them, and definitely meet Lord Of The Lightning.

3) In my opinion connection between Renly and Loras should have been done lot more subtle, perhaps even just hinted at.

4) Why is Renly made look so girlish and scared ? Couldn't stand sight of a blood ?! He wasn't like that in the books, certainly doesn't seem as someone who could get half of Westeroes to follow him into battle.

5) Lyssa Arryn and her son shouldn't been portrayed so deranged in my opinion. Again it should have been handled more subtle, make people guess on their own how screwed up these two are.

6) What gets me the most is - How the hell they dare to portray Ned and Jaime as equal at swordplay ?! Couldn't swallow it, nor I ever will.

I just hope that Martin wont try to change how the next few books will look like in consideration to the series.

P.S. Although he doesn't look nothing like him, and is 10-15 years older then described in the books Jerome Flynn is awesome in the role of pragmatic, black-hearted mercenary :fencing:

But it was the exact same thing in the Tyrion scene, and it looks like you're saying you have no problems with that scene. Why is it different just because two gay men do the same? And how is showing sex, instead of just giving us the sounds, any less "shoving it down your throat"?

well played sir, well played.

It's like you give a starving man a sandwich and he goes: "What, no prosciutto?"

Right, because we should all gush with neverending praise for the series simply because it is based on ASOIAF.

As I said, I found the episode enjoyable overall, and thought it was the best one yet in the series. I still have my nitpicks though. Strangely enough Arya and the locked gate with the huge gaps between the bars bothered me the most.

Right, because we should all gush with neverending praise for the series simply because it is based on ASOIAF.
I think it's more that one should appreciate the awesome parts - both those from the book and those not because they're awesome, and quibble about the few bad parts less.

I think it's more that one should appreciate the awesome parts - both those from the book and those not because they're awesome, and quibble about the few bad parts less.

So as long as discussion is always more focused on the (subjectively) positive parts of the series, it is acceptable. Got it.

As I said, I found the episode enjoyable overall, and thought it was the best one yet in the series. I still have my nitpicks though. Strangely enough Arya and the locked gate with the huge gaps between the bars bothered me the most.

People can say what they want but people are allowed to have opinions on that in return. I would also assume that poster is talking about people that very briefly say that they like it, only to then go on in more length about the bad parts. To me it sounds the most logical to spend more time talking about the bad parts if you found the episode to mainly be bad and everyone should be able to realize how they are coming off if they are mainly talking about the negatives. There have been plenty of posters claiming to like the show but who's posts would have made me not give the series a chance if I were to go by those.

And just as the poster you quoted I'm not talking directly about you (I haven't looked up what you've written), I'm making a general point.

Especially the death of Jory... poor, poor Jory. I had to skip that part on the rewatch :(

I would guess it has something to do with them being more comfortable with graphic violence then gay sex scenes.

I, for one, know I have seen way more graphic violence than gay sex.

What the heck do those behind the show have against Barristan Selmy? He's not in any of the council meetings, he gets left off of scenes where he should be in... It's a nitpick, but still something I don't like.

I think they might be saving him, for when he meets dany. They might not want people to know who he is by sight.

Archived