Football 19: A Clash of Kicks

Zoë Sumra

Where did you hear that? He played the 90 at the weekend.

I think it was on the Times podcast earlier, and I heard it again on 5live. The problem is that he had some sort of virus and his energy levels aren't' high enough. I just did a quick google search, and the tabloids are declaring him not fit while some other outlets are saying he'll have a late fitness test.

Harry has caught a taste of the CL, and no doubt wants to become the first English manager to win the league for...how many years? Since Howard Wilkinson with Leeds in '91? Damn long time, anyway.

I can see the appeal. Plus, it'll keep him busy until Capello gets fired by the FA.

Well, if you want to bring O'Neill up, I'm of the opinion (no doubt unsurprisingly) that he's a better manager than Harry Redkanpp. I'd give him the Chelsea job. Although, the Liverpool one would've better suited him.

So has anybody else watched the Women's Champions League final tonight? It's one of the first time I get to watch a women's football match (not much broadcasted around here) and I liked it, it was entertaining and for the most part devoid of the blatant cheating and agression on the referee one has come to expect from man's football. Still it was way more physical than what I expected from my fuzzy memories of what I'd seen beforehand and of what I'd heard about it.

(of course the fact that a french club won contributed to me liking it :P but it's not like we've won a lot of european cups anyway :crying:)

i like both women and football, but not women football ;)

a couple of years ago there was a women football world cup.what few games i've watched weren't impressive.

i couldn't say whether that was due to the lack of quality of the matches, or because i didn't know the players, or just couldn't have been bothered at the time to pay more attention to it.

Harry has caught a taste of the CL, and no doubt wants to become the first English manager to win the league for...how many years? Since Howard Wilkinson with Leeds in '91? Damn long time, anyway.

But at Spurs, he'd have some job security. At Chelsea, he could win the treble one year, end up second in the league the next, and Abramovich would still sack him.

...At Chelsea, he could win the treble one year...

He could win the treble, go on to cure HIV and, maybe on a day off, solve the Israeli-Palistinian conflict.

How has Harry Redknapp become the prominant manager that he is? In 30 years of management he has won the square root of fuck all, but has managed to relegate two clubs and damn near bankrupt another.

Edit: Whoops! Forgot that he won the FA cup one time. Good job Harry, just hold tight till we can sack this Capello bloke and the England job's all yours. Never mind that Capello has won a league title with four different clubs as well as the European Cup; Harry, you're the man for us!

He could win the treble, go on to cure HIV and, maybe on a day off, solve the Israeli-Palistinian conflict.

How has Harry Redknapp become the prominant manager that he is? In 30 years of management he has won the square root of fuck all, but has managed to relegate two clubs and damn near bankrupt another.

Edit: Whoops! Forgot that he won the FA cup one time. Good job Harry, just hold tight till we can sack this Capello bloke and the England job's all yours. Never mind that Capello has won a league title with four different clubs as well as the European Cup; Harry, you're the man for us!

I could have been clearer and I get that you're just trying to rant about Redknapp, but you could read the whole sentence next time.

So has anybody else watched the Women's Champions League final tonight? It's one of the first time I get to watch a women's football match (not much broadcasted around here) and I liked it, it was entertaining and for the most part devoid of the blatant cheating and agression on the referee one has come to expect from man's football. Still it was way more physical than what I expected from my fuzzy memories of what I'd seen beforehand and of what I'd heard about it.

Didn't see the match. I agree that there is a lot less games(wo?)manship in women's football, but overall it's also true, as bfc pointed out, that the level of play generally isn't as high as with the men. It's only taken seriously in a tiny number of countries, which limits its ability to grow.

There is also very little money in it. German teams tend to do fairly well (it wouldn't surprise anyone if the national team won a third World Cup in a row this summer, I think, and there have only been two CL finals without German participation), but attendence for league matches is negligible and Craven Cottage was far from sold out for the final.

Well, if you want to bring O'Neill up, I'm of the opinion (no doubt unsurprisingly) that he's a better manager than Harry Redkanpp. I'd give him the Chelsea job. Although, the Liverpool one would've better suited him.

I think it's a moot point, as neither strikes me as the type of manager that Abramovich is really interested in employing. O'Neill's teams rely on what we might call a solid foundation, i.e. big, strapping 6ft+ defenders (and, critics would suggest, big strapping 6ft+ midfielders and strikers too more often than not). He does what he does extremely well: but it seems to me it's not what Abramovich wants to watch. Although Mourinho got away with a certain amount of that style of play, I suppose.

(Not suggesting MO'N is wholly one-dimensional, by the way: he likes the odd flair player, he's tactically sound and he's a good man-manager, but his teams definitely have a distinctive character.)

Redknapp, meanwhile, is not a glamour name and has no substantial track record, whatever certain sections of the English football commentariat might like to believe. Faced with a selection including the likes of Villas-Boas, van Basten, and Hiddink, Abramovich is not likely to be that impressed with 'Arry's CV.

In other news: Toure banned for six months, and Bin Hammam hits back, asking for the ethics inquiry to include Blatter.

Archived