The rest of the USMNT for the 2011 Gold Cup:

Goalkeepers

Tim Howard – Everton

Marcus Hahnemann – Wolverhampton Wanderers

Nick Rimando – Real Salt Lake

Defenders

Jonathan Spector – West Ham United

Carlos Bocanegra – St. Etienne

Oguchi Onyewu – FC Twente (loan from AC Milan)

Jonathan Bornstein – UANL Tigres

Eric Lichaj – Leeds United (loan from Aston Villa)

Tim Ream – New York Red Bulls

Clarence Goodson – Brondby IF

Midfielders

Michael Bradley – Aston Villa (loan from Borussia Mönchengladbach)

Jermaine Jones – Blackburn Rovers (loan from Schalke 04)

Landon Donovan – LA Galaxy

Freddy Adu – Rizespor (loan from Benfica)

Benny Feilhaber – New England Revolution

Sacha Kljestan – Anderlecht

Maurice Edu – Rangers

Clint Dempsey – Fulham

Forwards

Juan Agudelo – New York Red Bulls

Jozy Altidore – Bursaspor (loan from Villarreal)

Chris Wondolowski – San Jose Earthquakes

Damn, the US has a stronger midfield than we have. Jones and Bradley must look great in their together. Two fine players. Donovan and Dempsey are top players, as well. What about a left winger, does the USA not have one? I suppose Donovan could play out there, but I always saw him as more influential through the middle.

Noticing a real lack of strikers, though. One area we have you beat!

Yeah, the inclusion of Freddy Adu is strange. I guess he benefited from Stuart Holden's injury since he's listed as a midfielder there.

I'm worried about our defense. Does anyone know how many minutes Gooch has gotten with Twente?

Glad to see Lichaj and Agudelo make the squad. Both exciting prospects!

I believe Adu's been playing in midfield for a few years now.

Top quotes from Trappatoni on Stokes' withdrawal from the Ireland squad:

"Young players have a fun job. It is not a job like the working man's. It is not a difficult job.

"For me it is an 11-month holiday. I played 70 games every season - national, championship, Europe.

"It is unbelievable, so we must educate our players.

"We are lucky and we have to enjoy playing football. It is a fine life.

"It is a new generation. Sometimes there is more pressure now but players should understand how beautiful our job is.

"Injuries are injuries, but they should visit our doctor. That is the rule.

"If they are asked by the national team they must go.

"If they are in hospital or they are dead, that is okay, but if there is an injury they should see our doctor."

Top quotes from Trappatoni on Stokes' withdrawal from the Ireland squad:

While I agree with the general point that some footballers should be more aware of how privileged they are, I think he's totally wrong on Stokes. As fun as the showpiece tournaments are, international football's a creaking relic, and if Stokes thinks not going on a glorified amateur kickaround will help his form next season for the club that pays his wages, that's his prerogative.

Despite any misgivings I might have for Trappatoni, I still feel he should have all the players support at all times. Stokesy has been in and out of our XI, as well, so it should be fine. Maybe Anthony is just pissed because up until now he's not received much of a lookin' from the manager.

Anyway, found this amusing. Fergie is brooking no questions!

I think United have about a 30% shot. They need to sit deep and press like their lives depend on it. Someone needs to deny Xavi space on the ball, and I don't know who that is going to be since it appears that Fletcher isn't going to make it. This game plan was working for Jose until Pepe got sent off.

Meh, defend from the front. Once Messi and Pedro have to start dropping deep into their own half to receive the ball, you know you've won half the battle. In the last game United were abysmal at pressing and no surprise when Ronaldo is your focal point of attack. Hernandez is much more disciplined and a good team player.

Barca, being a very offensive side, are susceptible to the counter-attack, which just happens to be United's greatest weapon. This is all the more dangerous for Barca as United now have a striker capable of killing them without even needing to be involved in build-up play. It's a great worry for Pep, who will be stressing over his selection decisions in defense. Does he go with Mascherano at CD, or will Abidal be fit enough to play at LB, meaning Puyol can slide in next to Pique.

The game throws up many questions.

But I certainly think United will our a better team suited for Barca with Hernandez and Valencia. I can't wait to see how they perform. Barca's defence will need to stay on their toes.

ETA: Although, as they were saying on Revista La Liga, this Barca team has taught us to trust them. They're a very consistent side.

and I don't know who that is going to be since it appears that Fletcher isn't going to make it.

Where did you hear that? He played the 90 at the weekend.

Anyway, I reckon we defo have more than a 30% shot. 40% at the very least. Our strengths correspond to their weaknesses, and as long as we defend well, we don't have to be particularly impressive going forward to score. I think Valencia and Hernandez, together with Rooney's long passing, are going to give Barca a real headache. And of course there's Park G Sung.

Archived