[Book Spoilers] EP109 Discussion

Ran

Can't wait to see Joffrey choke.

I didn't want to say it, but since you did...yes.

He played that perfectly..."my mother...my lady.....bring me his head". bastard.

I wish they had at least mentioned how much of a badass Grey Wind was, in the post-battle meeting. I can understand logistics preventing us from seeing battles, or much of the direwolves, but they could at least discuss it.

Ned spotting Arya and getting Yoren to go to her is so perfect it is now canon in my personal conception of the story in the books. It was always kind of weird to have Yoren show up out of nowhere.

Ned. Never gets easier to take. Props to the kid playing Joffrey, I want to smash his face in so much

I really love how Bronn seems to be enjoying himself. In the books he seemed more self interested in gold and reward with some grudging respect for Tyrion mixed in, but on the show it's clear how much those two amuse each other.

Honestly the ending was so well done, most of gripes don't really matter.

Really liked the Frey scene, very humorous, do wonder if nonreaders totally get the inside humor associated with it.

Robb really coming into his own as a character, although I wish they had cut his victory speech. In fact I think that speech is a good example of why they didn't do the battles. If a scene requires a lot of men and you just don't have the budget for it or you can't hide it then its not worth doing. A bad battle scene is way more painful than no battle scene, and even superbig budget films screw up battles scenes so...

Awesome job by the kids in the final scene, especially Joffrey who is really giving Arya a run for her money as the best kid actor on the show. That look of revenge he gave Sansa before doing it was pretty damn impressive acting IMO.

Shae scenes were kind of goofy and they changes some things probably not necessarily for the better, I concur with Leaving the Lannister pays in gold line in,but in the big scheme of things its not a big deal. Its going to be fascinating to see the reaction of non-readers.

No, it's a very minor character as is my understanding. Certainly not a major character.

Yeah, I know, it would screw everything up. I just wanted...

lol what was he going to yell? freedom?

Haha, I know, there's nothing really to say in that time. "Bastard," "rebellion," "Stannis," none would have the impact of what we saw. Ah well.

I agree with choosing to leave out the battle scenes, but I also agree with people here that they should have explained what happened more clearly, from Robb's strategy to Jaime's position and killing men nearly all the way to Robb.

Oh well!

He's Mance Rayder! Or maybe another deserter...

Well, we saw through Arya's POV in the book, right? So maybe this was Mr. Martin telling us how Yoren knew, since Arya couldn't have known Ned was whispering.

I might be mistaken but I thought Arya showed up as Ned was confessing, so he wouldn't have had the chance to tell Yoren. But I thought it was a perfectly fine change that established why Yoren would grab her (as opposed to, most likely, people wondering why some weird guy is grabbing her...Yoren was a few episodes ago and there's been a lot going on) that made the scene so much more heartwrenching. One of the changes I really liked.

Also, totally necessary to show it how they did and not how it was in the book. If the episode ended with Ned getting hishead cut off and then a knife from a mysterious hand coming at Arya, with her not appearing in Episode 10, they should have been arrested for cruel and unusual punishment toward the audience.

I thought the episode, on a whole, was very well done but I have real problems with Robb's war strategy. Sending 2,000 men to die as a decoy against the thousands of Tywin Lannister's army in order to secure Riverrun and most of the riverlands is a VERY smart strategy, don't get me wrong, but I can't see Robb sacrificing his men like that in the books. He would view it as dishonorable (as it is) and just wouldn't do it in my opinion. It will be interesting if they try to use this angle to give Roose Bolton more sympathetic motivations for his actions in future episodes though (assuming he was the one leading the soldiers of the Green Fork in the show).

I do understand why they had to edit out the battles and I actually sort of like what they did with Tyrion. In the books it was kind of ridiculous that he had all this phyiscal prowess to fight battles and stay out alive (even if it was a lot of luck). Besides, it will make his moment at the Battle of the Blackwater that much more heroic.

Are they completely eliminating the character of Podrick Payne, or will they add him later? I suppose he is a rather unnecessary but he's so entertaining!

I can understand leaving out the battle scenes, but with all the money they saved on that they should have put the ToJ somewhere in the series.

How cheap can they be?

Sean Bean was the best part of the show and has consistently been the anchor of the show all season. Without him, I don't know how the show is going to do. Jon, Robb, Arya and Tyrion are all great but I'm not sure they will be enough unless HBO decides to spend more money next season.

You too, huh? Such a beautiful choice on D&D's part, turning the smaller scale of the scene into something more personal. Ned's last two acts in life are his attempts to save Sansa and Arya, respectively.

Yes. It was a beautiful thing, and quite probable to extrapolate from the books, as well, since we only saw things in that scene through Arya's eyes.

I'm still a little upset. Reading some people's reactions on TWOP is helping though. My favorite post is:

Now I know how Janet Leigh's fans must have felt during Psycho.

Very disappointed there was not one mention of the Tower of Joy. Really thought we'd see something from Ned there....

Yes I agree! Forgot to mention that in my first post, still a lot to sift through. But this leaves me wondering so many things...in the episode GRRM penned he could have put in whatever variation of the TOJ he wanted, and fact that we got, well, nothing is disappointing to say the least.

I thought the episode, on a whole, was very well done but I have real problems with Robb's war strategy. Sending 2,000 men to die as a decoy against the thousands of Tywin Lannister's army in order to secure Riverrun and most of the riverlands is a VERY smart strategy, don't get me wrong, but I can't see Robb sacrificing his men like that in the books. He would view it as dishonorable (as it is) and just wouldn't do it in my opinion. It will be interesting if they try to use this angle to give Roose Bolton more sympathetic motivations for his actions in future episodes though (assuming he was the one leading the soldiers of the Green Fork in the show).

Well, he did basically sacrifice 2,000 men in the book, too, so I don't see why this would be against his principles...

So sad. I cried, even knowing what was going to happen. LOVED the added touch of him seeing Arya and saving her. I'm still all knotted up inside.

The Freys were excellent, so glad we got that in the intro as well!

The Drogo tent stuff is awesome, and the sounds coming outta there were even better than I imagined. Jorah was STELLAR in his fight scene. Never in a million trillion years would I have thought I'd be panting over Jorah, but mamma mia.

I think my favorite bit was Alfie's laughter when Robb is getting told the terms of the deal. Alfie was not at all how I pictured Theon, physically, but he's excellent in the show. I love every time he holds his bow <3

I think Shae is hot. Liked the drinking game scene.

Walder Frey goosing his young wife= lol. Was it a "Waldron" Frey that Arya was supposed to marry?

Maekar prounounced "Mike-ar". My pronounciation "may-kar" appears to have been wrong. :worried:

I'm not liking Shae. So is Tyrion supposed to fall in love with the mystery that she is? Eh, I very much preferred book Shae and her girlish seductiveness.

Bronn being north of the wall makes sense. Bronn's past isn't really made explicit in the books but where else do you think a mercenary would be getting work in the 9 or 10 years of peace under King Robert's rule since Balon Greyjoy's rebellion.

I think my favorite bit was Alfie's laughter when Robb is getting told the terms of the deal. Alfie was not at all how I pictured Theon, physically, but he's excellent in the show. I love every time he holds his bow <3

Yes! I actually laughed at his giggling reaction. It was perfect.

Well, he did basically sacrifice 2,000 men in the book, too, so I don't see why this would be against his principles...

Perhaps I'm mistaken but in the books I thought Roose Bolton commanded a much greater portion of the northmen on the Green Fork than 2,000. I was always under the impression that they legitimately had a shot of winning the battle and routing Tywin. Obviously you can't do that with 2,000 men.

Its going to be fascinating to see the reaction of non-readers.

LOL, I've been over at the TWoP site, where the Unsullied (non-readers) are screaming for Joffrey's head body parts. Like this:

I am now consoling myself by coming up with hideous ways for Joffrey to die. Assuming the writers follow Chekhov's maxim about showing the gun in scene 1, it's about time for *someone* on this show to contribute his manhood to a goat's dinner...go Joffrey go!

LOL, I've been over at the TWoP site, where the Unsullied (non-readers) are screaming for Joffrey's head body parts. Like this:

I am now consoling myself by coming up with hideous ways for Joffrey to die. Assuming the writers follow Chekhov's maxim about showing the gun in scene 1, it's about time for *someone* on this show to contribute his manhood to a goat's dinner...go Joffrey go!

Hahahaha, if only this was to happen...

Archived