Your favourite Anti-Hero

Talleyrand

Didn't Milton not intendt for Lucifer to be as popular as it became?

I'm not snarking, that's an actual question, I swear I read that somewhere. Not that he isn't an anti-hero, I just don't think he was intended to be one.

Milton did not intend for Lucifer to be at all sympathetic. Which is a shame because Lucifer is so interesting when written sympathetically.

"we didn't say it. Milton said it. And he was blind."

I might just add Morpheus to my antihero list. And Sandman's Lucifer. And granny Weatherwax. I read about Pratchett's application to Dignitas today. It made me very sad.

How can this thread have gone three pages all ready and no one has mentioned Raistlin?

I wanted to, but I always tend to think that he might be best left unexamined too closely. Although, if we're going there, I rather like Haplo from the Deathgate Cycle at the time, who was an interesting...I suppose anti-villain might be more the term.

And granny Weatherwax. I read about Pratchett's application to Dignitas today. It made me very sad.

Me too. Why Granny though? I don't think she's ever less than sympathetic or morally in the right. Rincewind maybe?

Oh, or Death. There a protagonist with unusual motivations for a hero.

stupid sad irony.

I wanted to, but I always tend to think that he might be best left unexamined too closely. Although, if we're going there, I rather like Haplo from the Deathgate Cycle at the time, who was an interesting...I suppose anti-villain might be more the term.

Me too. Why Granny though? I don't think she's ever less than sympathetic or morally in the right. Rincewind maybe?

Oh, or Death. There a protagonist with unusual motivations for a hero.

stupid sad irony.

I disagree, she gets called up on her methods all the time. She has major morality issues (about what she feels she should be) especially in Witches Abroad. When she is being good, she still goes about it in a confrontational manner. She scares Death. She is mean. And I chose her, not Rincewind (though I might have chosen Vimes, or maybe Moist due to the recentness of his books, or Vetinari if I thought he was major enough) because she sprang to mind because her character is so strong. Rincewind is a great character for other reasons but I reread "I Shall Wear Midnight" the other day and it put Granny in my mind. I loved that book. I love Terry Pratchett

I'd be inclined to say Covenant if the series hadn't bored me to tears. So...

The Bloody Nine

Agreed on Covenant, and beyond that I don't see Covenant as an anti-hero, he's more of a whiny bitch reluctant hero.

I enjoy many of the ones mentioned such as Tyrion, Glokta, and Karsa Orlong, but another good one is Angus Thermopyle from Donaldson's Gap series.

Sorry, Granny is a hero. She may question her methods to her own self, but she always does right. Amazing character, one of my favorites, but always a hero.

To borrow from TV Tropes

"Type II: The "Disney Anti-Hero"

This is arguably what the term often means in common speech—a character who contrasts with a squeaky clean Knight in Shining Armor—perhaps a Knight in Sour Armor. The term "Disney" is used, because giving it some thought, this character is actually pretty much a pure hero, with Heroic Spirit, except that they don't have the positive mental attitude that generally comes with being a straight hero. Very frequent amongst the Mr. Vice Guy. Like a Type I, a Type II antihero stands a good chance of transforming into a straight hero over the course of the story once they confront their internal conflicts, find someone they want to protect, etc.

Knight in Sour Armor is a specific trope."

Sounds pretty much like Granny to me. As I say it depends on your definition of an antihero- it's a pretty loose term

Ya, it is a loose definition. By that one, I guess Granny fits, and I was earlier wrong.

Still, I am going with Gloka, cause he fits what I personally was thinking of anti-hero originally better.

Ya, it is a loose definition. By that one, I guess Granny fits, and I was earlier wrong.

Still, I am going with Gloka, cause he fits what I personally was thinking of anti-hero originally better.

Well TV tropes is excellent but not the Oxford Dictionary. It's so subjective a term that I think it's best not to say that you were wrong earlier but that we were both right

I am heartened that none of you has answered "Kellhus."

Why would anyone say Kellhus? Isn't he just a hero?

Anyhow I, unlike many, love Karsa Orlong.

Glokta was definitely the first one who came to mind for me. For Pete's sake he is a torturer, a very good one!

I don't know if I would count Zakalwe since

you don't know he is the chairmaker until the end.

I would maybe add Dimitry Karamazov to the list. (if he counts)

Yeah. Kellhus.

I guess I wouldn't consider him an anti hero, based on the first three at least, because I didn't think he was supposed to be sympathetic or likable at all. I want to smack that man. With a warhammer.

No one mentioned Raistlin cause Dragonlance tends to cause giant flame wars of doom.

I was gonna say Haplo from Death Gate. Still like those books, and they have an undeserved bad rep around here, imo.

Glokta is awesome.

Also, Severus from Book of the New Sun.

Would Conan count as an anti-hero?

Yeah. Kellhus.

I guess I wouldn't consider him an anti hero, based on the first three at least, because I didn't think he was supposed to be sympathetic or likable at all. I want to smack that man. With a warhammer.

No one mentioned Raistlin cause Dragonlance tends to cause giant flame wars of doom.

I was gonna say Haplo from Death Gate. Still like those books, and they have a well deserved bad rep around here, imo.

Glokta is awesome.

Also, Severus from Book of the New Sun.

Would Conan count as an anti-hero?

There, fixed that for ya.

I was gonna say Haplo from Death Gate. Still like those books, and they have an undeserved bad rep around here, imo.

Haplo is a good call and Death Gate is great. I guess they get that rep because people see the authors and all inclination of reading them is replaced by " ewwww dragonlance sucks and I fucking hate tasslehoff burrfoot and his ridiculously colored leggings".

Have you even read them? Or are you just talking out your ass again. You should get that checked, it seems to be a problem for you.

Most people probably haven't, which is annoying. I'd take that over a poorly written WoT any day, at least the characters dont make me want to punch my dog in the face

Archived