Your favourite Anti-Hero

Talleyrand

Didn't Milton not intendt for Lucifer to be as popular as it became?

I'm not snarking, that's an actual question, I swear I read that somewhere. Not that he isn't an anti-hero, I just don't think he was intended to be one.

I couldn't answer that for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised that he said or intended that, since he was writing in the early 1600's

I'd say Marc is an anti-hero viewed overall through both series (but not including AU). If you're just including Pliocene he's probably an antagonist.

I was thinking more of him in the Milieu series, specifically

blowing up two planets and killing 4 billion people

I think he does take on the role of Hero, Villain and Anti-hero at various points in the two series. The rebels in the second trilogy do have arguably a worthy cause despite some of their methods, so I wouldn't say they were simplistic villains, even though some of their actions are enough to make them the villains of the story. Admittedly, many of the negative aspects of the rebellion are largely Marc's fault.

I agree on the majority of the Rebels, (one of my favourite scenes is when Rory Muldowney knocks out Paul at the St Patrick's Day party) at least up until Marc and his ego start running the show, and make it all about Mental Man.

Eragon is a very interesting Villain Protagonist...

i agree, except from the interesting part. Also he seems so insane that he's convinced himself that he's a good guy and Emperor Galbatorix the just is a baddie

i agree, except from the interesting part. Also he seems so insane that he's convinced himself that he's a good guy and Emperor Galbatorix the just is a baddie

I think the book is far better if you read it from the Empire's PoV. Eragon is a psychopath

I think the book is far better if you read it from the Empire's PoV. Eragon is a psychopath

Yeah, the Empire never actually seem to do anything wrong in the books other than defend themselves from horrible rebels who besiege their cities and slaughter their city watch repeatedly.

I've read the Howard Conan stories dozens of times, and I'm pretty sure he never rapes anyone... unless you count conquering a country and taking the king's hoard of concubines. Plus, Conan was so awesome that women usually threw themselves at him.

Am I forgetting something?

Yeah, I don't think he rapes anyone in the original Howard stories. But there's so much damn non Howard Conan shit out there I think it sometimes gets mixed in.

Cnaiur is an anti-hero? Really? He has the anti-part, but where is the hero in any way, shape, or form?

At no point does he do anything heroic, nor does he make us want to root for him at anypoint along the way.

I would put him firmly in the villain slot. Granted, I am basing this purely on PoN, if he expanded in Aspect Empire the i apologize, for i have not read them.

Yeah Cnaiur is kind of a sick fuck. Not to go into details, and I did fell sorry for the guy, but no way is he an anti-hero.

Have you even read them? Or are you just talking out your ass again. You should get that checked, it seems to be a problem for you.

Sure i read them, along with the Tales of the Dark Sword books those fucking morons put out. Hell man i read voraciously, doesn't mean they were any good. As i stated before, they were shit. I think my 14 year old mind thought briefly they were enjoyable, enough for me to and get the adventure game based on the books, but for fuck sakes, i was 14. They are bottom of the barrel fantasy novels. Bullshit pulp that makes the shit i like look silly the population at large. Fuck, it makes me ashamed to like novels that are considered the same Genre. Stacking up anyone, fucking anyone from a Wies/Hickman book against some of the recs here is fucking silly at best.

As for my ass, i'm flattered, but let me worry about what comes out of it.

I have to admit I thought the dark sword trilogy was pretty bad. Honestly though, I think I just caught dragonlance and death gate at the right time. Do I think its the best written piece of literature? Nope. Not even close. But I still hold a soft spot for both of them and enjoy them for what they are.

Shit, I would probably like WoT more if I picked it up at the same age. Kind of hit a wall with that one, but I honestly want to like and finish it. The fact that I have read/heard basically every criticism there is for the series does not help matters. Which is why I hear taken a break from it.

This was a free lesson in how to derail a thread by nickg.

I haven't read Covenant since i was a wee lad. I have the first book sitting here for a reread-now-im-older, but I'm not sure if this thread is making me want to read it more or less.

I assume that you mean Severian?

That's an interesting one. There was a big thread on Book of the New Sun that you could dig up if you were interested. We talked about a lot of wicked shit, but I don't recall if anyone ever suggested he was an anti-hero. I think he does some bad things, but he does a number of good things as well and seems to be set on an ultimately good path.

Yeah, I can't remember names for shit. :)

And how much good he does might dpeend on if you count the coda or not.

Remillard sorta has the advantage of being powerful enough that he could have held the 7 Kingdoms against Valyria, much less the Targs.

Would Felise count? Poor Culuket.

Vanye from teh Morgaine novels is considered to be an anti-hero, too.

Felice could eat Melisandre for dinner and then Cersei for dessert, and Daenerys as a snack, then have the three dragons eating out of her hand...As for that idiot Culluket; well, he could leave at any time; he obviously liked the position he got stuck in...

Vanye could eat Jaime, Rhaegar and probably both Cleganes - all at once. One tough broad. Whoops, it's been years since I read that series; mixed up Vanye with Morgaine. Dumb.

Of course, all of the above have more than human strengths....

Covenant is becoming harder and harder to reread as I get older. Even the (far superior IMO) Second Chronicles now seem much like a string of fantasy cliches with added grittiness. Makes me sad cos I did love them once.

I've read the Howard Conan stories dozens of times, and I'm pretty sure he never rapes anyone... unless you count conquering a country and taking the king's hoard of concubines. Plus, Conan was so awesome that women usually threw themselves at him.

Am I forgetting something?

The Frost Giant's Daughter is pretty much attempted rape.

Raksha - Vanye is the dude, Morgaine is the person with Changeling.

But I agree with what you said about Felise, that carzy bitch nearly ate Aitkin and Marc together, and did nail Cull.

Golden Boy strikes me as an anti-hero, in a way, as well.

Possibly Mr Crane, aka, the Brass Man.

I reread my post and have to put a paper bag over my head in shame - mixing up Morgaine and Vanye. stupid. I changed it.

But Felice was definitely a psychic powerhouse on Dark Phoenix level. She didn't do anything to Culluket that Cull didn't deserve (and, weirdly, consent to); he was real nasty...

Golden Boy in Wild Cards? I would agree that he was an anti-hero....I don't know Mr. Crane/Brass Man

Archived