Your favourite Anti-Hero

Talleyrand

Most people probably haven't, which is annoying. I'd take that over a poorly written WoT any day, at least the characters dont make me want to punch my dog in the face

Ha. :cheers:

Would Conan count as an anti-hero?

Well, I would say he is the archetype of the barbarian hero. Which Logen and Cnaiur invert in ways that qualify them as anti-heroes.

Some people in this thread seem to think badass = antihero, so maybe he is.

eta. If Karsa Orlong is, Conan is. Karsa is just Conan copied into Eriksonland (with a 4th wall breaking knowledge of his authorial mandate to be able to beat the pulp out of anything).

Conan is a murderer, a rapist, a pirate and a thief. He's entirely selfish.

Yes, he's an anti-hero.

Does he actually rape anyone in the original Howard stories? I don't remember that happening.

Conan is a murderer, a rapist, a pirate and a thief. He's entirely selfish.

Yes, he's an anti-hero.

Murder, piracy and theft are standard heroic goals - generally the victims are 'evil' but they don't have to be.

Most heroes are selfish ("Why do I have be the chosen one blah blah").

Rape must be the qualifier.

OT; may I sardonically suggest Richard Rahl.

Is Gerald Tarrant love a thing of the past? Time was he would be the winner of such threads by a significant margin.

Not that I like Coldfire or Tarrant much myself, but many of Friedman's other works are fantastic and woefully unloved, and 'best antihero?' threads were her one time to shine.

I submit Marc Remillard, Aiken Drum, and Vlad Taltos, though the latter two might not fit all definitions. Tyrion is the best though, in all the worlds that are and ever will be.

Marc Remillard could eat Tyrion, Jaime, Cersei, Tywin and Littlefinger for dinner. He'd like Tyrion though, and find him something useful and interesting to do. I could just see Aiken and Tyrion becoming drinking buddies, though...

Clyde Shelton.

Because he's an actual hero and we all wanted him to become a god?

Usually a hero doesn't betray his companions and intentionally side with evil. And no, didn't want him to become a god because I thought it was asinine.

Croyd Crenson the sleeper goes from being the hero of one story to one of the main villains of another then back to hero

I would say Glockta but when has he realy been a hero? and the same goes for logen but at least we have sceen him do some sort of heroic stuff.

OH and the greatest anti hero of all time the main man himself LOBO

Remillard sorta has the advantage of being powerful enough that he could have held the 7 Kingdoms against Valyria, much less the Targs.

Would Felise count? Poor Culuket.

Vanye from teh Morgaine novels is considered to be an anti-hero, too.

Well, I would say he is the archetype of the barbarian hero. Which Logen and Cnaiur invert in ways that qualify them as anti-heroes.

Cnaiur is an anti-hero? Really? He has the anti-part, but where is the hero in any way, shape, or form?

At no point does he do anything heroic, nor does he make us want to root for him at anypoint along the way.

I would put him firmly in the villain slot. Granted, I am basing this purely on PoN, if he expanded in Aspect Empire the i apologize, for i have not read them.

Some people in this thread seem to think badass = antihero, so maybe he is.

eta. If Karsa Orlong is, Conan is. Karsa is just Conan copied into Eriksonland (with a 4th wall breaking knowledge of his authorial mandate to be able to beat the pulp out of anything).

On top of being a rapist (one could argue that he was an anti-hero/villain then who evolved, though he never shows any remorse over it), Karsa intends to end civilisation. There's definitely more to his anti-heroism than being a badass.

I've read the Howard Conan stories dozens of times, and I'm pretty sure he never rapes anyone... unless you count conquering a country and taking the king's hoard of concubines. Plus, Conan was so awesome that women usually threw themselves at him.

Am I forgetting something?

Cnaiur is an anti-hero? Really? He has the anti-part, but where is the hero in any way, shape, or form?

At no point does he do anything heroic, nor does he make us want to root for him at anypoint along the way.

I would put him firmly in the villain slot. Granted, I am basing this purely on PoN, if he expanded in Aspect Empire the i apologize, for i have not read them.

Well, he's a rival of Conphas (definitely a villain) and Kellhus (some kind of anti-double-anti-hero or straight villain or, more likely, anti-villain), who are both total dicks. But maybe that makes them anti-heroes. I don't know. There's also the bit in Aspect-Emperor where he

is dead.

Archived