I'd just like to say that I am personally intending to visit Bradford West, grab every voter I can find by the collar and ask them what they were thinking.

Harsh, I know. I can well understand the reluctance to vote for either Labour or the Con/Libs. But to have dragged Gorgeous George from his well-deserved media grave and unleashed him on the rest of us again, that's just uncalled for. Nothing justifies that. Obviously, this being George, he'll be out on his arse at the next election, having spent the entire time massaging his own massive ego rather than lifting a finger for his constituents: but still, in the meantime we all have to suffer self-aggrandising nonsense like "this is the most sensational by-election result in history, bar none" and "this is the Bradford Spring".

Spending time with Gorgeous George must be exhausting:

"This is the tuna pasta salad that will set the benchmark for the aspirations of future generations."

"I have taken out the bins with an energy and efficiency that would shame Stakhanov."

"I have taken out the bins with an energy and efficiency that would shame Stakhanov."

You know I'm going to use that whenever I do a task in the house henceforth.

N

So am I. Except, of course, I'll be saying "you've taken out the bins, etc".

Well you are a kind and benevolent master so I would expect nothing less when you're talking to the underbutler or similar.

N

I have no idea who this Gorgeous George character is, but I can't be the only one bothered by his (nick?)name not actually being alliterative when pronounced. Right?

ETA - Unless Bradford has one of those weird english accent/dialect things and it is?

Alas, he's not actually from Bradford - we Scots have to own up to Mr Galloway, though he has long since denounced us. The nickname is long-standing and survives despite not strictly being alliterative because it's so apt: George, you feel, is a man who spends much time admiring and probably complimenting himself in front of a mirror.

It's not strictly alliterative, but both words have that soft G and the orr sound in somewhere so it sorta works.

George Galloway is our resident Saddam-licking, cat-impersonating and generally self-aggrandising national embarrassment. Well, one of them, anyway.

eta: heh, pipped to the post

The government seems to have decided that unnecessarily inciting mass panic over possible fuel shortages is the price they have to pay to bury the pastie row. It's kind of like Mass Effect 3: "there might be a fuel shortage. So we've decided to prepare for it. By causing a fuel shortage."

I just hope turning us into a nation of hardened road warriors is worth it, David. Maybe he and salmond can decide scottish independance in the thunderdome?

Archived