I liked this headline in the Sunday Telegraph "Scottish Tories show spirit of adventure in electing Ruth Davidson" which I thought was a very nice spin on electing somebody who has been an MSP for five months as their leader. Sounds better than 'show spirit of utter desperation' at any odds!

Who'd have predicted the Tories as being the first party to elect an openly gay leader?

That's true, is it a glimmer of maturity in our politics? Could it happen in westminster or are they just more grown up north of the border?

So many opportunities for cheap laughs lost by her not going the 'noted heterosexual' route of having a husband for public show and keeping a girlfriend for private satisfactions.

Who'd have predicted the Tories as being the first party to elect an openly gay leader?

While this is technically true, it is so only because Patrick Harvie MSP is 'co-convener' of the Scottish Greens rather than leader in his own right. In practise, he has a better claim to be the first openly gay party leader IMO.

While this is technically true, it is so only because Patrick Harvie MSP is 'co-convener' of the Scottish Greens rather than leader in his own right. In practise, he has a better claim to be the first openly gay party leader IMO.

Perhaps I should have specified one of the big three parties - I must admit to little knowledge of the sexuality, or even the names, of the leaders of the Greens or other minor parties.

Perhaps I should have specified one of the big three parties - I must admit to little knowledge of the sexuality, or even the names, of the leaders of the Greens or other minor parties.

Nah, you're technically correct. And as all Futurama fans know, that's the best kind of correct. ;)

I liked this headline in the Sunday Telegraph "Scottish Tories show spirit of adventure in electing Ruth Davidson" which I thought was a very nice spin on electing somebody who has been an MSP for five months as their leader. Sounds better than 'show spirit of utter desperation' at any odds!

If they were being genuinely adventurous then they'd have voted for her rival whose main policy seemed to be to abolish the Scottish Conservative party and replace it with a new party (as if the Tories are suddenly going to become popular in Scotland if they change their name).

If they were being genuinely adventurous then they'd have voted for her rival whose main policy seemed to be to abolish the Scottish Conservative party and replace it with a new party (as if the Tories are suddenly going to become popular in Scotland if they change their name).

Sounds like a sound plan to me. It's not like the Scots care more about the politics of the party than the name of the party.

The tories in scotland is an interesting issue, so low in the polls for so long north of the border, aren't they fighting it out for fourth place in Holyrood? The conservatives are doing better in Wales than in Scotland, which seems just amazing.

Changing the name does seem like a marketing type solution, but on the other hand if they were to divorce themselves from the national party and reinvent themselves as the scottish christian democrats or whatever, maybe they could invent/develop some policies that might have some local appeal?

ETA anyone catch the 'lion on the line' story? That beats the old Network Rail 'leaves on the line' excuse at any rate.

Changing the name does seem like a marketing type solution, but on the other hand if they were to divorce themselves from the national party and reinvent themselves as the scottish christian democrats or whatever, maybe they could invent/develop some policies that might have some local appeal?

Oddly enough, such a move would actually represent a reversion to pre-1965.

Oddly enough, such a move would actually represent a reversion to pre-1965.

In many ways, yes. But there's certainly no way any reformed Scottish Conservative party would have been called anything like 'the Unionist party', because the whole reason for changing the name is that the Tories are now seen by an entire generation of Scots as an 'English party'. Voters simply don't believe that they promote Scottish interests. I think there's something to the notion that this is down to an irretrievable contamination of the 'brand' by the likes of Michael Forsyth back in the Thatcher days. In this instance, I do think policies are coming second to perception. The level of instinctual mistrust for the Conservatives amongst Scottish voters has to be experienced to be understood.

I'm a little bit worried judging by the strain I thought I could hear in her voice that Theresa May might resign before some slash fiction involving her could appear in this thread, particularly once Cameron came out and gave his full support, so I thought I'd kick things off. I apologise for the lack of appropriate cross party involvement but Sarah Teather didn't seem quite right for this somehow.

"Restrain me!" said Theresa May.

Baroness Warsi settled back in her armchair and lit her cigar.

She looked at Theresa. May would have been naked if she wasn't wearing shoes. The baroness looked her up and down slowly as she started to smoke.

"Restrain me!" said Theresa, this time with an edge of nervous excitement in her voice.

Warsi reached one hand idly into the pocket of her Thatcher Blue suit and toyed with the handcuffs she had there.

"Restrain me!" said Theresa, for the first time stepping forward and holding out her hands.

Warsi put her cigar to one side and looked May up and down again. She liked what she saw.

"No" she said and picked up her cigar again.

I apologise for the lack of appropriate cross party involvement but Sarah Teather didn't seem quite right for this somehow.

... and Baroness Warsi did?!??

You, my friend, have a twisted mind. My congratulations. *applauds*

With all due respect to the Baroness and Mr Warsi, she felt right for the part.

So you're trying to tell me that you never imagined May and Warsi in mildly s/m power reversal situation? Odd. Still I'm tempted to add your second sentence to my signature line though.

Archived