Gwendoline Christie is Brienne of Tarth

Westeros

Looks like good casting to me. Put me in the camp who appreciate what can be accomplished with makeup. Christie is lovely, but give her some fake teeth, the wrong shade of foundation and bad dye job and she'll look pretty awful.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Christie can do as Brienne.

I think there's a lot of potential for tv-Brienne to be a better character than book-Brienne. Or to state it another way, Brienne might be a more a better character for a tv show than for a book

In the books, I really didn't like her chapters because they seemed so pointless and her internal monologue was so boring. TV will fix these problems.

1. The producers will probably condense her storyline and give it a stronger sense of direction and purpose.

2. We won't get her internal monologue. In the tv show we miss that with some characters (like Tyrion), but that could be a benefit here since what annoys a lot of people about Brienne is that her internal monologue is so boring.

3. She has a lot of fight scenes. Of course fight scenes can be fun to read, but they're really fun to watch. And frankly, Brienne doesn't describe her own fight scenes well. I think they'll be a lot of fun to watch.

This looks like good casting to me! She is a little too "pretty" but not only is there makeup, there's also the fact that realistically they're not going to have someone as ugly as Brienne is described to be in the books. I think it will work out just fine (see: Lysa, Tyrion, etc.)

(On a semi-related note, when this news was announced I looked up some pictures and was like holy FUCK that woman is so tall!!! And then realized...she's shorter than me. :bawl:)

This looks like good casting to me! She is a little too "pretty" but not only is there makeup, there's also the fact that realistically they're not going to have someone as ugly as Brienne is described to be in the books. I think it will work out just fine (see: Lysa, Tyrion, etc.)

(On a semi-related note, when this news was announced I looked up some pictures and was like holy FUCK that woman is so tall!!! And then realized...she's shorter than me. :bawl:)

lol, I've always wanted to ask how tall you were. Now I have an idea! :P

How about I'm entitled to dislike the casting as I see fit?

Obviously. :) But on a message board people are apt to challenge an expressed view. No need to respond with comments like "nerd rage bitching". Hostility can go both ways.

I don't think the actress' looks are worth discussing at all actually. Clearly the show can make the actress as beautiful or as ugly as it wants. What the show can't do is change her size (and her acting ability). So my only requirements was that she is tall enough and can act. It seems they have managed that. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can dislike the casting given she fits those basic requirements?

Unless this is not about the actress at all but about how Hollywood has a bias towards beautiful women? Fair enough if you want to attack Hollywood for that. But isn't it rather unfair to take out any grievance on Christie? She is just a small cog in a very big wheel, trying to pay her way.

I've also noticed that out of 89 comments on his blog page about it, he's deleted over 30 because they also agreed that they didn't like the casting

How do you know this? I thought GRRM moderates his blog so that posts only go up after been reviewed? And if that is true, you couldn't have seen what any deleted post said?

As much as we may respect his opinion, we can still disagree with it fairly when it runs counter to what is actually printed in the books that brought us all to this point.

I don't think GRRM ever means to suggest that any actor is the living embodiment of the character he created. :) He is way too realistic about what casting a role requires (he has spent enough time in Hollywood after all). But I do think he appreciates what are the essential qualities of a character more than some people who post on this board. So while Mark Addy didn't strike people as the right Robert (for example), after watching the show, most people have said that Addy did a wonderful job. He embodied the spirit of the King. And I think GRRM recognised Addy's ability to do that a lot earlier than we did (because he saw the audition).

So when he says that Christie was Brienne he isn't saying that she is exactly the same person as Brienne is in the book. He is saying though that she captured the awkwardness, the stubborness and the essential decency of the character.

Obviously. :) But on a message board people are apt to challenge an expressed view. No need to respond with comments like "nerd rage bitching". Hostility can go both ways.

to be fair sijjvra it was not them that said it, it was xanderpanda, though i agree with the sentiment of your post.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.... Unfortunately..Everyone should just agree with me.

After all, I'm the one enjoying the show and have enjoyed the books several times over. Obviously with that kind of love, dedication and easy going-ness. It's my opinion that counts. I even made a character chart and occasionally draw fan art. Sure, they look more like stick figures with weird head sprouts...But that is my level of dedication. That I can't draw, but I try my little heart out.

I also got 18 other people to read ASOIAF and they in turn got other people to read. I'm like the freaking ASOIAF Ebola Monkey.

I know all the characters inner most thoughts and feelings. that's just how in to it I am.

So now you know my awesome credentials, let me tell you how you should think and feel about the casting choices.

George R R Martin, David and Dan are not our bitches. If we all had a say on who got a role. This show would never have been made. None of us can reach any kind of a consensus. Which has been proven over and over again.

This is a series based on the novels. Not a perfect novel re-enactment. and we should all be flattered that they have tried to get as close as faithful to the books as possible.

As for the casting of Gwendoline Christie as Brienne. My vote is. *fist pump* F@ck yeah. Well Done.

Not because I like to wear wool and say baa ( 1. it's cold here and 2. I'm teaching my kids farm yard sounds.) It's because of the awesome potential Ms Christie can bring to this role. We haven't seen her bring it yet. Unless she is a terrible actress. It's not really a huge leap for us to see Brienne through her. Personally I'm going to put more weight into Gwendoline's performance and acting skills than I will her appearance.

exhibit A: Kate Dickie. who isn't the Lysa Arryn in appearance who we have envisioned. But the batshit crazy, the force of Lysa Arryn's personality pulsed out of her and in moments Kate Dickie IS Lysa. And I freaking LOVE Kate for it.

Also my props to a woman who went for a role that millions of people around the world will be seeing her as ugly and a freak. That's a big ask for any ones ego to survive.

Appearance and "Beauty" is subjective. And it's that way as well in the books.

Emergency has been dialed and the Waaaaabulance is on it's way.

Gwendoline Christie - You Can Do It!

I also dislike how some people insist Brienne "isn't as ugly" as everyone in Westeros perceived her... she was huge, had a broken nose, splotchy complexion, bad hair, bad teeth, broad features. No, she wasn't dripping with warts and boils but if you saw a lady like that these days (heck, if you see a slightly pudgy lady or a lady with less than glamorous features - how we've been brainwashed here by the media is another topic I don't want to get into) most people would and do call that UGLY. Even by today's standards in today's world, Brienne the Beauty would not be a waif thin, attractive woman that many many people are commenting on "WOW SHE'S GORGEOUS". And Gwen -is- very pretty compared to the "average gal". Which is not what Brienne should be like.

Apparently my bar for "ugly" is set a lot lower than yours.

I would never look at a woman with broad plain features and think "she's ugly". I'm not just being kind here, it wouldn't enter my mind. I might not consider them particularly attractive, but that's very different from considering them ugly. Bad teeth are off-putting though.

No, Brienne is not a pretty girl. She's big and plain and she's muscly and a bit beat up (she probably lost a couple of teeth as well as the broken nose, which might explain crooked teeth) because she's been training as a Knight for years. And she doesn't look after her hair like a lady might.

Doesn't make her ugly though. I see the ugly as all being in people's perception of her. She's big and gawky and she doesn't do what's expected of a woman of her station.

And Gwen -is- very pretty compared to the "average gal". Which is not what Brienne should be like.

The thing about it is - When an author writes a book, they can make characters look however they like, but when it comes to making a TV show, they have to cast real people as those characters. And not just anyone off the street, they need an actor.

If GRRM himself wants her to be Hollywood ugly, not much I can do about it. Maybe Gwen is a great actress and maybe they can make her "plain", but it's the standards of ALWAYS doing this to ladies on screen...finding an attractive, skinny woman to play someone that is not supposed to be either, putting a bad hair cut and some glasses on them and saying LOOK HOW UGLY THEY ARE when they're -still- prettier than the average girl... yeah, that's a great message to force into our brains over and over. Gwen is not the Brienne I will ever picture in my head. The whole reason I loved that character was she was noble and honorable (and yes, she was niave and oblivious in some cases too) DESPITE being treated like garbage because of her looks.

She is not treated like Garbage because of her looks. That's just one element to it.

She is treated like garbage because physically and in the way she lives her life, she is the antithesis of the ideal Westerosi Noblewoman.

I love Brienne too, by the way. I was never bored by her bits in Feast for Crows.

Okay since everyone is commenting on her appearance, I'm going to comment on something different. Her voice.

Anyone think her voice is just perfect? It's got a bit of strong deepness to it, yet it's very clear. Listening to the videos and picturing my version of Brienne goes along perfectly.

Also, judging from the first short video and the stage acting segment, she has a bit of a wild side, I think that energy will be great during the introduction and a certain shadow scene.

btw, does anyone know how old Brienne is supposed to be? I can't remember if they ever say.

Okay since everyone is commenting on her appearance, I'm going to comment on something different. Her voice.

Anyone think her voice is just perfect? It's got a bit of strong deepness to it, yet it's very clear. Listening to the videos and picturing my version of Brienne goes along perfectly.

Also, judging from the first short video and the stage acting segment, she has a bit of a wild side, I think that energy will be great during the introduction and a certain shadow scene.

btw, does anyone know how old Brienne is supposed to be? I can't remember if they ever say.

In aFfC the Elder Brother said he was 44 and twice her age so I would assume around 22 herself.

Superb piece of casting. Nowhere near as ugly as Brienne is described in the books, but that is all to the good (TV executives don't want to put anyone too ugly in one of their flagship IPs now, do they?) nor is she handsome enough to carry the show herself based on looks alone; very astute piece of casting. Great eyes, too. Brienne's most redeeming aesthetic.

Wow, I opened the link to her IMDB and it was scary how similar the shape of her face and eyes matched my image of her.

I think with makeup, "dirtying" up her hair, the armor, etc they will make her appear to be more unappealing physically, but with those eyes she is definitely going to be able to tell Brienne's emotions.

And we get a pretty twig to play her. That's Hollywood for you.

You gotta be realistic ;). Even though actresses in Europe can be more "normal looking" than in the US, I doubt that one who was that tall could also be plain/ugly and still get work. They had a choice between casting a professional who had the height and hopefully verifiable chops or to gamble on a complete newb. It is no wonder that they chose the former, IMHO.

I think this picture http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/05-friel-500.jpg shows how right she is for the part. It's a bad picture of her (and who looks good next to a particuarly hot movie star anyway?) but it shows off her slightly freakish size, her mannishness and her startling blue eyes. She may not be quite as muscled as Brienne but stick her in armour... Tbh i can't imagine a better bit of casting with regards to looks.

I was hoping that they'd cast Dot Jones (Coach Beiste on "Glee), even though she's old for the part. She's 6'4" and matches the description perfectly--except for her hair color, which would be easy to change.

Even so, I'm happy with the casting decision.

• 2 weeks later...

The absence of makeup and a bad hairstyle may be all she needs to look the part of awkward, unwomanly Brienne. Perhaps a little help from the DP to light her unflatteringly, too... Christie is a beautiful woman, but not in a conventional way. I don't think it would take very much to turn that strange prettiness she has to ugliness.

A lot of how Brienne looks would be conveyed in her demeanor and facial expressions as well, so her performance will be as key to creating the character as the actress' appearance out of character.

Just as we speculated yesterday, George R.R. Martin has confirmed that actress Gwendoline Christie (lovegwendoline on Twitter) is now Brienne of Tarth! As he says in his confirmation post:

This was another one of those cases where there was hardly any debate. The day the first batch of auditions went up for the role, we looked at a dozen actresses who were reading for Brienne and one actress who WAS Brienne. Gwendoline gave a great reading, and her look was just perfect. No, when she auditioned, she did not look she does in the photo above. She came in looking… well, like Brienne.

Below is a sampling of Youtube videos featuring Christie.

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Yeah great! But she's so tall!! Haha! Fits great for the character though.

Archived