[ADWD Spoilers]A Host of Small Matters

Werthead

small things I noticed.

1. Theon appears to have been castrated by Ramsay Snow. He shies away repeatedly from some kind of thought and in the crucial bedding scene with Jeyne Poole he seems to be stuttering towards some confession, before Ramsay commands him to use his tongue. It can't be about his fingers, he still has some.

2. Asha may be pregnant. She had sex with Qarl the maid, and then wanted to brew moon tea but didn't have time.

As I've pointed out before on the matter of Theon, page 540, his encounter with the disguised spear wife indicates he still has desire anyway, and that it only says he DARE not touch her, not could not. So that's something against it at the moment. Could be he was just referring to bedding Ramsey's wife in general, the possibility of getting her with child enough to take Theon's head after they skinned him alive and boiled him in oil afterward.

As I've pointed out before on the matter of Theon, page 540, his encounter with the disguised spear wife indicates he still has desire anyway, and that it only says he DARE not touch her, not could not. So that's something against it at the moment. Could be he was just referring to bedding Ramsey's wife in general, the possibility of getting her with child enough to take Theon's head after they skinned him alive and boiled him in oil afterward.

yes but sexual desire can still be there absent right? It depends whether it's root and stem or what I guess. And you are right about the spear wife, I did consider that.

There seemed to be too many references to it for it not to be a full-on castration. I mean first he says "Ramsay only took a few fingers and toes and that other thing", then he says in the wedding night scene "But I...I...I don't have a..." and then finally states outright that he can never be with a woman ever again. It was basically Martin hammering it home (a few too many times if you ask me) that Theon has about as much going on down there now as Varys without ever just coming out and saying it.

I got the impression as well that Theon has been castrated which kinda sucks.

As for Quaithe's prophecies I am almost as sick and tired of them as Dany.

It's pretty clear who everyone is except:

The Dark Flame which I agree with Werthead is Moqorro.

The Perfumed Seneschal. If the perfumed seneschal really turns out to be just a perfumed seneschal . . . well I'm sorry but that's just idiotic.

ESPECIALLY after Martin names the ship the fragrant steward. I think it's pretty apparent that the ship is what the prophecy is referring to. Likely that means that Dany should "beware" at least who is ON it and at this point the only characters of worth from it are Penny, Tyrion, Mormont, and Moqorro.

When I first read the dark flame I thought it was going to have something to with Blackfyre and therefore Aegon/The Golden Company, but now it's pretty obviously Moqorro since Aegon went in the total opposite direction.

Good catch on that referring to the ship. The only person from that ship I think she'd have to beware though is Moqorro.

Another small matter:

Barristan mentions a "woods witch" who was friends with Jenny of Oldstones, and who predicted that the prince that was promised would be born of the line of Aerys and his wife. The witch is described as a "dwarf" who looked like one of the children of the forest, and apparently Barristan thinks she died at Summerhall.

Could this be the Ghost of High Heart? She "gorged on grief at Summerhall," showed interest in Jenny of Oldstones, and fits the description of a smallish person associated with the forest.

As I've pointed out before on the matter of Theon, page 540, his encounter with the disguised spear wife indicates he still has desire anyway, and that it only says he DARE not touch her, not could not. So that's something against it at the moment.

Well, I have read these lines more like Theon remembering how he used to be, not indicating that he can do the same things again, but does not dare.

As for the 'perfumed seneschal' being the ship - I think it's a nice try, but it seems unlikely to me. Why should Dany be afraid of a ship? One can say that she should fear the people it carries, but they were already mentioned in her prophecy - Tyrion as 'lion', Moqorro as 'dark flame'. So I just don't get it - why read the prophecy as "beware A, B, C and their ship"? I have always taken it quite literally - that seneschal = Reznak.

Also anyone else think that Moqorro is actually Marwyn? I know he is a maester but he was adept at other arts as well. Bloodmagic, glass candles to communicate over long distances etc. And Marwyn sails to Meereen in a ship of the Summer Islands. If he knows the arts of a Faceless Man... Also possibly the guy isn't going to show up as himself.

Moqorro is not Marwyn. The timelines don't match up. Marwyn should be leaving Oldtown somewhere around 50-60% of the way through ADWD, after Moqorro first shows up.

Barristan mentions a "woods witch" who was friends with Jenny of Oldstones, and who predicted that the prince that was promised would be born of the line of Aerys and his wife. The witch is described as a "dwarf" who looked like one of the children of the forest, and apparently Barristan thinks she died at Summerhall.

Could this be the Ghost of High Heart? She "gorged on grief at Summerhall," showed interest in Jenny of Oldstones, and fits the description of a smallish person associated with the forest.

I was wondering if the woods witch was the Child of the Forest who speaks the Common Tongue. She says she was out in the world for 200 years before getting bored and going back over the Wall.

Wyman isn't shown to have been killed, though. It sounds like he did at first, but note that Roose commands him to depart, and apparently he does so. Slicing through the folds of his fat chin would be painful and lead to a lot of bleeding, but I'm not surely it was necessarily deadly, especially with a maester on hand.

I don't think Wyman is dead yet but It seemed to me he went to the wedding prepared to die. He didn't bring any hostages and he knows the Boltons/Freys suspect his loyalty if not already prepared for betrayal. He probably killed the Freys that were with him and then served them as pie which he ate as well and the scene above seemed he was intentionally being provacative as opposed to when he was at White Harbour. The cannibal bit doesn't seem like the actions of a sane person to me (assuming he did serve the Freys up as pie). I think he went to the Bolton et al prepared to do as much damage. I'm interested in what happened after he left with his levy's with the Frey levy's. I don't think that was coincidence on Roose's part.

Not a typo. In the latest version of the family tree, there's a middle brother... but won't say more about him. Maybe for the world book. :)

Ghost of High Heart ("My Jenny's song") is definitely the dwarf wood witch, IMO.

Not a typo. In the latest version of the family tree, there's a middle brother... but won't say more about him. Maybe for the world book. :)

Ghost of High Heart ("My Jenny's song") is definitely the dwarf wood witch, IMO.

A middle brother? So Jaehaerys II is the youngest of Egg's sons?

Archived