[ADWD Spoilers] RAGE

Corvinus85

As disappointing as ADWD was, I'm grateful we didn't have to read about braid-tugging, skirt-smoothing, shawl-twitching, sniffing, tea, dresses, furniture, or how the male characters wish they understood women. Martin has not sunk to "Crossroads of Twilight" levels yet, thank God.

As glad as I was to see Dany become more flawed, her chapters were insufferably boring. Can you imagine what they would have been like if she kept glaring and sniffing whenever she disagreed with anyone?

I'm still trying to convince myself that Jon isn't dead. My chief arguments are that GRRM has said that his parentage would be revealed (which would be unimportant if he was dead) and Dany's House of the Undying vision of the blue flower at the Wall (like a lot of people, I think it means she'll fall in love with him, which she won't do if he's dead). Also, there were originally only supposed to be the POVs in AGOT, and if Jon died, there'd be no POV at the Wall. The voice of reason in the back of my head is insisting that plans can change, though... :frown5:

Apparently GRRM gets his jollies from cliffhanger endings and killing off his main characters. Comparing him to Tolkien is a joke, because Tolkien actually had a point to his stories. They were more than just beautiful language and well written chapters.

I agree with most that Jon will some how miraculously live, but this series has become a joke at this point. UnCat? UnGregor? UnBeric? UnJon? Cheap tricks to pretend Arya's blind to just bring her back in the next book with vision and no particular purpose? A Batman style ending only to have Brienne survive? Did anything happen with Arya or Bran that was significant in ADWD?

It's like he is lost and scared to finish the books. So instead he just fills it with Dunk and Egg type stories (characters meandering around westeros).

The only thing positive that came out of this book for me, is that I hope that he doesn't finish the next book and lets HBO finish the series. This is a case of I wish he hadn't written AFFC or ADWD. The first three books were far superior.

Tolkein sucks. I never understood the comparison. To me, GRRM is a modern day Sir Thomas Malory (author/compiler of Le Morte d'Arthur).

I think people had unrealistically high expectations for the book. I, who started reading the series a few months before AFFC was released, was satisfied by ADWD. I did not expect some grand epic events for the first half, as that coincided with AFFC. The second half had lots of events people seem to overlook, you want the story to be HERE and NOW instead of a proper buildup. ADWD seemed to be more of a midway title like AFFC that spends the time with the characters instead of swooping action everywhere before release, and I wasn't that wrong.

I hated AFFC when it first game out. Now it's my third favorite in the series after ASOS and ADWD. I hated the Cersei, Brienne and Ironborn chapters at first and could not believe Martin wrote such crap. Now here I am six years later and I find the Ironborn chapters tolerable, Cersei chapters good and Brienne chapters some of my favorites.

Sure, I didn't like how Dany sat in Meereen for most of the novel. That doesn't mean that I won't like it tomorrow.

Give the book some time before you jump here full of righteous fury and start smiting every small thing you do not like. Wait a week without interacting with any ASOIAF related content, and then read the book again. If you still despise it, that's fine. But don't trust your first impressions, you were way too hyped when you first read it.

Well said ser. The story needs proper build-up. Some people rant and rage about the cliffhanger endings and character delving that Martin has done with his last two novels. I think it's essential that he did things things to keep us interested and on our toes for the last two novels. As well as make things really interesting for tWoW and aDoS. You can't go from point A to point D without going through B and C.

Also keep in mind that Jon doesn't have to die and be resurrected although that will likely be what happens so the wall can fall. We already know red priests have magical healing powers. He might just be healed before losing so much blood that he dies.

As disappointing as ADWD was, I'm grateful we didn't have to read about braid-tugging, skirt-smoothing, shawl-twitching, sniffing, tea, dresses, furniture, or how the male characters wish they understood women. Martin has not sunk to "Crossroads of Twilight" levels yet, thank God.

No, but he does love giving us detailed menus whenever somebody sits down for a meal, especially the weddings.

We hoped that most problems of Feast came from being "half a book".

We also hoped that GRRM heard the complaints about Feast and learned from it.

I'm starting to worry he has George Lucas syndrome, and his editor issues will never be fixed. He seriously must needs find a better one before the next two books, because DAMN. Does he even HAVE an editor?

George has two of them, and uses them. Having edited himself, he knows as well as any (and better than most) that they can really help. Anne and Jane have edited all the books in the series to date.

Not sure where else to put this but I gotta vent! Mostly because with the popularity of GoT I have 6 members of my family in various stages of reading the book (all people who ignored my recommendations since I read SoS a decade ago). So rather than spoil people who are just now finishing CoK, I will vent here.

I think I am done with Martin. I've been his biggest cheerleader amongst my circle of folks for a long time. Like most here, I fell in love with the story and world in the first few books. AFFC was a bit of a pill but I learned to lie to myself that it was on par with the previous 3 books.

After stewing on DWD for a couple days, I am checking out. I have reread the books about a half dozen times, spent countless hours on this site (when I should have been working), and took a whole week off of my job to read DWD.... And I agree with (what it seems like) most of the group here believes: the past 11 years have seen nearly no plot development.

Yes, you will have your rabid delusional super-marks who defend every nugget that GRRM throws their way and savor it like they are baby birds feeding from the regurgitated gullet of their parent, but I am done holding onto the past excellence of this series by pretending that the quality of the narrative is still there. SoS is probably the best novel I've ever read, but at this point I am just tired and wish I'd never read these books.

I have to give credit where it's due; It says a lot (to me) that I loved the original 3 books so fiercely that I have this strong of a reaction to what I view as their downfall, but I can't take the churn anymore.

Maybe I set my expectations too high.... Maybe I'm just in need of other forms of entertainment... Either way, I quit this bitch.

^Agree

I bought my copy through amazon and reviewed it there. Negative reviews might equal less sales. Let's hit him in the wallet and let him know he can't go on book signing tours and HBO set visits for 5 years and release a piece of crap (for a second time really) that we will continue to pay money for.

I would think HBO will be reading these forums and definitely the amazon reviews. They may think twice about paying Martin for aFfC and aDwD and pulling a "Rome" on him if he continues to write this dribble. I would.

George has two of them, and uses them. Having edited himself, he knows as well as any (and better than most) that they can really help. Anne and Jane have edited all the books in the series to date.

Speaking of editing, ADWD was in dire need of some. Anyone else notice the number of typos? Just off the top of my head:

Kevan, when speaking to Cersei, says that Lancel is her "nephew" when obviously Lancel's her cousin. WTF?

"starboard" appeared as "larboard"

At one point, "loose" was written when it should have be "lose", and at another point "losing" was written when it should have been "loosing".

And a bunch of others - it definitely threw me off.

Yes, but it was obviously the fault of the editors that the last two books were "bad", and they obviously need to be fired, and GRRM obviously has to get new editors for the series to reach it's former glory :rolleyes:

For those of you that don't catch it, that was sarcasm...

IF THEY KILL GHOST I DONT KNOW WHAT I'LL DO. Seriously. I would be quite sad, perhaps a little enraged.

I know what I'll do; :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: I honestly would not be able to handle it if another one of the dire wolves are killed, especially Ghost...

I can't say that I was enraged by the book, but I was certainly frustrated. You'd think that by Book 5 we'd have the whole backstory (Rhaeghar/Lyanna/Ashara, yadda yadda) instead of just more misleading hints. At least I expected to discover the identity of Jon's parents, because, really, that debate is getting old. And I just don't see how the series can finish in two books, given the pace of the plotting. Damn.

And I just don't see how the series can finish in two books, given the pace of the plotting. Damn.

Remember when Catelyn left Winterfell in one chapter, then appeared in King's Landing the next? Or when Tyrion managed to get from the Wall to Winterfell to the Inn at the Crossroads in the span of three chapters? I get that he wanted to do some world-building and lay down some atmosphere, but I think he did too much of that, at the expense of the story.

Archived