Major League Baseball

Paxter

Baltimore split with Boston yesterday, and it took 18 runs to get it done for the Sox in the second game. For what had been considered their strength, the pitching they have thrown out there for the last month plus has been crap.

That doubleheader yesterday is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. It was two different acts of a circus. The first was the clown show and the second was the freak show. Or maybe it's the other way around. But still, it was unreal to see a team that's fighting for its life to avoid an epic collapse playing that way against a team as shitty as the Orioles.

But hey, with that win in the first game yesterday, the Orioles got their 63rd win, meaning no 100 loss season. So everyone can go on pretending this wasn't one of the worst O's teams we've ever seen.

Hope is a painful thing.

It's very relative.

You guys actually have a chance. Technically, so do we. But not much. Either way, Hope is painful if you let it be at this time of year.

Not everyone can be the 2010 Padres. Or the 2010 Giants. Usually, sneaking into the PO means you won't do shit but fail.

Also, a play-off without Brooks Conrad will simply not be as fun.

Kershaw winning his 20th while crushing the last of the Giant's hope = great fun.

Can we just give clayton the cy young already?his season statistics show he is deserving. The award is about pitching prowess and dominance.

We can have another award. We will call it the dave stewart. It can go to the best pitcher on a playoff contending club.

On a really good year the same guy wins both.

That doubleheader yesterday is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. It was two different acts of a circus. The first was the clown show and the second was the freak show. Or maybe it's the other way around. But still, it was unreal to see a team that's fighting for its life to avoid an epic collapse playing that way against a team as shitty as the Orioles.

But hey, with that win in the first game yesterday, the Orioles got their 63rd win, meaning no 100 loss season. So everyone can go on pretending this wasn't one of the worst O's teams we've ever seen.

The thing about the Sox that is ironic to me is that last year they said "we've got an ABUNDANCE of starting pitching, we're set"...and then they watch them drop like flies. did they really do anything to change that this season, knowing Beckett is Jekyll & Hyde...nope...and here we are with their starters averaging less than 5 innings over the last month.

BUT, they got Carl Crawford for the bargain of $142mm...a speedy left fielder playing left field in a band box. I think ego's got the better of them in that deal.

BUT, they got Carl Crawford for the bargain of $142mm...a speedy left fielder playing left field in a band box. I think ego's got the better of them in that deal.

I'd probably be more upset about the John Lackey contract if I was a Red Sox fan. Although I guess it's not got as many years left at this point.

The thing about the Sox that is ironic to me is that last year they said "we've got an ABUNDANCE of starting pitching, we're set"...and then they watch them drop like flies. did they really do anything to change that this season, knowing Beckett is Jekyll & Hyde...nope...and here we are with their starters averaging less than 5 innings over the last month.

They've actually been playing quotes from Theo Epstein on the radio from last February where he specifically cites starting pitching as being a weakness. He explains that they were going into the season with 8 potential SPs and that they would need on average 11, and he didn't know where those starts would come from.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone really knows what happened with the Carl Crawford signing. People are speculating that it was an ownership decision and not an Epstein decision.

Either way, the Red Sox are fucked.

All I have to say is that it is extremely upsetting to have to be rooting for the Yankees to win right now.

I also hate the fact that while I historically dislike the Rays, they're doing everything right and it's hard not to admire them. They're young, have great pitching, defense, they seem energized and just an all around great ball club.

Damnit.

So I can finally relax....for like 6 more days anyway.

Brewers clinch the division with a win and the Cards loosing. Now they have to keep winning to stop themselves from going to the Phils.

Still they won the division, and that is something I can hang on to.

This Rays situation is killing me as well Trisk. We're so close and Boston look vulnerable...but I have a bad feeling we are going to slip-up somewhere against Toronto. Go Tampa!

Could be tied at the end of today if Boston bombs in the doubleheader (possible) and the Rays win against Toronto. That would be some exciting stuff!

If I'm Texas or Detroit, I am rooting for Boston to make it in, though. They look so bad right now. It would be close to a miracle if they didn't get swept out of the playoffs in three games.

Damn, I think Ellsbury might have just saved Boston's season. The Rays are still one game out and Boston have Beckett pitching tomorrow against the Orioles. Tampa have Shields, Hellickson and Price starting in the Yankees series but I don't think that will be enough.

Great end to the season though.

cy young, please.

21 wins

248 striteouts

2.28 era

how in the bloody fuck can clayton kershaw not win the fucking thing?

what a season. as a lifelong (and oft suffering) dodger fan i have seen pitching as a highlight and hallmark of the boys in blue. kersh has embodied all that is quality and iconic dodger pitching.

i am ready to enshrine him with fernando, orel and hideo but not quite ready to set him with koufax, drysdale and sutton. those comparisons will take a few more consistent and impressive seasons to do.

I've never bought into the idea that the MVP should come from a contender, but at least the word "valuable" allows for a strong argument to be made. The Cy Young on the other hand, is about the best pitcher. Since the Cy Young Award was introduced every single pitcher who has won the pitching triple crown has been awarded the Cy Young. In fact, only once has the triple crown winner not gotten the unanimous vote for Cy Young. If Kersh doesn't get the award it'll be a crime.

Mainly because the media really seems to want Halladay or Lee to win it.

precisely. living on the east coast the local sportswriters and other assorted baseball pundits tend to be pulling for one of the phillies starters. they are both very good this year, but not good enough.

Welcome to the last several years. I think the voters are smarter than that. But if not, rest assured I'll be (almost) as outraged as you guys.

believe you me, i have no desire to share my outrage with a giants fan. that is just sickening.

so let us hope we have no communal outrage when the voting comes about.

Archived